Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's a heck of an innings, and I remember listening to her on Radio 1 when I was a kid. Heck of a career. This is up there with John Peel as far as broadcasting losses to alternative music. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I played (very far down) on the same bill as her back in 2009. I wish I had a fun story to go with that, but I was starstruck and never said a word to her.

I'm really not surprised that you were starstruck.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely fucking adore the Professionals, and that theme tune is so perfect. A proper big kick in the balls of an tune, even makes Martin Shaw look dynamic.

It's also reminded me of a brilliant article about the show by Taylor Parkes (of music writing, WSC and ayyyyyup it's Chart Music podcast) for the Quietus.

https://thequietus.com/articles/14873-the-professionals

• Paid Members

I've not seen Moonstruck, but In The Heat of the Night is just one of those landmark films everyone should see at some point.

• Paid Members

Jewison was one of those directors where many of his best films were not actually his best known, the exception being In the Heat of the Night, which is still powerful to this day. I didn't care for Rollerball or The Thomas Crown Affair and also he did musicals. But Send Me No Flowers, The Cincinnati Kid and Agnes of God are all very strong. And Moonstruck is awesome.

• Paid Members

Music journalist and all round good egg Neil Kulkarni. Absolutely gutted about this. A really lovely, funny guy and fantastic writer. His wife died a few years ago too, leaving their kids alone. Fucking hell. 

Edited by gmoney

Oh shit. That's a gutter. He was someone who, along with Swells, really did make me start taking notice of who was writing the articles/reviews etc rather than just reading them.

His newsletter was great as well. Sad time for his friends and family.

Neil's death has really upset me. What fucking news to wake up to. He was extremely encouraging and great to me when I had a breakdown in 2021. Just really nice and helpful. This is just so shit, a tremendous writer.

I knew Neil personally from the Cov scene, did a few gigs with him in various bands and he actually reviewed two bands of mine and gave us 4/5 out of 5. I still have the Melody Maker it was in. And the good thing is knowing he meant it. Even if you were a friend he’d let you know if he thought you were shit. 

His legendary takedown of shit albums, bands, and Britpop are stuff I still read. He even made it to Wikipedia with his review of a The Enemy album, it got mentioned in a page about the worst albums of all time. 

As mentioned, his wife passed and the love and protection he had for his daughters shone through. Absolutely devastated for the girls. This is really upsetting. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LSM said:

Ah this is a crap one. In addition to Star Trek I remember growing up watching him on Alien Nation as well.

That suuuucks, Alien Nation was my absolute favourite TV show as a teen, so underrated with an awesome theme tune. I was happy to meet him at a sci fi con years ago, he was really cool. R.I.P Sikes.

20240123_145624.jpg