Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

Kishin Shinoyama, a Japanese photographer most known in the West for taking shots of Lennon and Ono while they were together passed a couple of days ago. To me, he's the man that made Yukio Mishima look like the man he wished he was.

spacer.png

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Tron and Cadyshack actress Cindy Morgan died at the end of December 

Well, that's gutted me. Along with Phoebe Cates, she was one of the first crushes I had as a youngster. In later years, I discovered that I actually had a chance with her, as she's legally classed as blind, her eyesight is so bad.

Fuck you, Chevy Chase.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Sorry for the double bubble but Didier Deschamps can breathe easy.  There will be a national day of mourning in Wales though. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/jpr-williams-dies-wales-rugby-28412553

A tremendous player from the golden age of Welsh rugby. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Fat thumbed idiot

• Paid Members

Tony Clarkin of Magnum. 

http://www.magnumonline.co.uk/news/tony-clarkin

I was contemplating adding him (and Bob) to the future carking thread, because he's was definitely an early inspiration to me as a teenage guitarist, and I've held his playing in high regard ever since. I saw Magnum live when I was 17, and they were incredible. There's four Magnum albums currently sat on the passenger seat of my car, because I've been having a binge on them lately.

image.png.d491d37265ddc7912a6c96c35d8bd445.png

• Paid Members

I always used to absolutely love listening to Annie Nightingale and the impact she had on bringing forward so many female DJs to mainstream radio can't be underestimated. A lot of my favourite DJs now wouldn't have had the opportunity without her efforts.

I'll always remember being like 14/15 and I swear she had an early morning Radio 1 show. Used to stay up Friday night, watch all my wrestling I had taped on Sky that week, stick the radio on for Annie and then chill and wait for someone to offer me breakfast at 7am before they went to work. Then sleep all day Saturday.

The fact she was still going and was scheduled on the radio this week is sad, but hopefully the BBC pulls out all the stops honouring her. The documentaries and stuff they did on her 50th anniversary were all so great it'd be wonderful to see a change to listed viewings over the weekend to incorporate some of them, even just her Desert Island Disc recording being replayed.

11 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'll always remember being like 14/15 and I swear she had an early morning Radio 1 show.

I definitely remember listening to her late at night, and remember she was one of the first DJs I "listened" to for recommendations, influences etc.

She was bloody brilliant. 

I got to meet her once mutually because I used to date a DJ who essentially modelled her career on Annie. I can confirm for someone who was 78 when I met her she was probably the most stylishly decked out person in the room. She also had that cool without trying to be charisma about her. You can't manufacture that. This also reminded me that Janice Long died a few years ago didn't she. Ugh, a shame but 83 is a good clocking out.