Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

London Marathon winner and World Record holder Kelvin Kiptum and his coach 

https://news.sky.com/story/kelvin-kiptum-world-marathon-record-holder-and-his-coach-die-in-road-accident-13069858

Edited by Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

London Marathon winner and World Record holder Kelvin Kiptum and his coach 

https://news.sky.com/story/kelvin-kiptum-world-marathon-record-holder-and-his-coach-die-in-road-accident-13069858

Incredibly sad stuff this. Only 24 and really only getting started in both his life and career. Got into road running because he couldn't afford access to the track and for his first big race he had to borrow a pair of shoes. Came from nothing to become the world record holder in only his 3rd marathon. Achievements beyond most people's wildest dreams. He burnt all too briefly, but very, very brightly. RIP to Kiptum and his coach, also a young man in his 30's, struck down in their prime. 

• Paid Members

Not to be too Lance Storm about it, but I was never really a fan, I found him and the posse pretty irritating, but there's no denying he was a colossal presence and influence on British radio. What a shocker.  

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Not to be too Lance Storm about it, but I was never really a fan, I found him and the posse pretty irritating, but there's no denying he was a colossal presence and influence on British radio. What a shocker.  

He was way more suited to R2 for my money, he copied loads of American DJs and their style when he was on R1 and it was pretty forced. Plus if it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t have that Arnie And The Terminators novelty record. 

Fond memories of seeing him on the Radio 1 Roadshow down at Bournemouth Pier in the early 90s.  I listened to him and the posse all the time.

Wasn't he about to front the new Radio 2 spin-off station that the BBC are launching?  Suggests this was sudden and unexpected.

• Paid Members

Since he was ousted from the afternoon show for Scott Mills I'd had this running joke with my mum that all the other shows he presented afterwards were all just recorded and edited so they could be played at any time. When my mum texted to let me know he'd passed away I had to reply with "I'm sure they've got enough stuff he's recorded to keep him going for years." It's a terrible loss. He was a constant of the afternoons on Radio 1 when I was a kid with his posse, but when he went to Radio 2 it was a natural fit, although my fondest memories are of him keep getting calls and texts meant for Mark & Lard whenever they were on holiday from their Radio 1 show and people couldn't be arsed listening to Colin & Edith covering for them.

• Awards Moderator

Radio 2 is in full on mourning. Schedule is turned over to his favourite tracks. Clearly shocked by the news, Sara Cox was broken to bits. 

He never did much for me but he clearly had an amazing formula and connected with millions.