Maybe my thinking is too old school and trapped in what other companies have done, but if you've crowned a new top guy they should be the first thing we see or hear about on the show, even if it's to build up their first appearance as champion much later in the night. 

Swerve strolling out for a TV match in the second segment like any other guy on the roster was a bit deflating. Especially when it became apparent the focus was instead going to be on another inevitable moneybags slide into getting physically involved with on screen angles.

But I'm sure some clever fecker on Reddit with a spreadsheet has clocked that him and Fletcher never wrestled before so this was actually pretty great. 

10 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Jack Perry just has zero presence though, so feels like it was wasted on him. Okada should have been the one to do it instead of Perry.

Perry definitely needs it more than Okada. And while i really didn't care about Jack before, or even if he came back, I've quite enjoyed his work recently.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Jack Perry just has zero presence though, so feels like it was wasted on him. Okada should have been the one to do it instead of Perry.

Hard disagree. His work at NJPW was interesting if nothing else. The reveal at the PPV was the best example of a ring invader I’ve ever seen (topped with his cheeky grin, beautiful stuff), and what do the Bucks or Okada need it for? They all piss charisma. He’s been gone since August, responsible for their biggest name being fired. He needs a big introduction and the crowd so far seem massively into it. It’s exactly what he needs.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hard disagree.

Imagine my surprise 😉

I was very high on Perry a while ago, thought he had bags of potential, but I just don't see it now. It's very much a personal opinion, but he feels ridiculously miscast in the role. 

You are bang on that The Bucks and Okada piss charisma, Perry could be elevated by association and I will hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but he's just not hitting at all for me.

Plus, his work in NJPW means sweet FA if you don't watch NJPW.

46 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hard disagree. His work at NJPW was interesting if nothing else. The reveal at the PPV was the best example of a ring invader I’ve ever seen (topped with his cheeky grin, beautiful stuff), and what do the Bucks or Okada need it for? They all piss charisma. He’s been gone since August, responsible for their biggest name being fired. He needs a big introduction and the crowd so far seem massively into it. It’s exactly what he needs.

I have to admit, I'm just not feeling it with Okada yet. He's not bad, don't get me wrong, but he's not living up to the mystique built around him. I've not seen any of his work in Japan, so I can only go by what I've seen in AEW (and, erm, TNA I suppose) 

It's still early days, but he's failed to stand out so far. 

58 minutes ago, Nick James said:

but he feels ridiculously miscast in the role. 

He's the only person they can cast in that role as it makes sense. Who has the biggest beef with Khan? Perry. I think this gimmick is great and fits in with the Bucks.

Also I imagine we wont be seeing much of Tony on screen. No doubt he'll be 'out' for a while and The Bucks will be running the show.It is a good way to have them in charge and plays into 'he's a nice guy but not a boss' thing. I thought it was quite good!

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Plus, his work in NJPW means sweet FA if you don't watch NJPW.

I mean, to be fair I HAVEN'T watched his NJPW run, but I saw enough clips on social media to know how that fits into the wider picture. But I get your point, and maybe had this been featured on dynamite or Collison, just like the montages and clips from NJPW social media, it would have helped.

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I have to admit, I'm just not feeling it with Okada yet. He's not bad, don't get me wrong, but he's not living up to the mystique built around him. I've not seen any of his work in Japan, so I can only go by what I've seen in AEW (and, erm, TNA I suppose) 

I thought his match with Pac was great. But I understand if you never saw his matches with Omega or Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom and are judging him on his few AEW matches thus far I can understand feeling underwhelmed. I think hes in a great spot with the new Elite though.  

• Paid Members

The handling of Swerve on this show was pretty fucking disgraceful. A 3 minute promo would have been better than an ice cold pointless 15 minute match.

I'm fine with the Tony Khan stuff as I'm fairly certain he's not going to be a regular character. 

Gauntlet match was absolutely loads of fun, highlighting how exciting, great and deep this roster is. Ospreay as International Champion works for me. It's too soon for him to go straight to the main event scene.

The pacing of this show overall was really weird and made it hard to get into and a fair amount of it felt flat or weirdly booked.

23 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

His match with Pac was his best outing so far, but yeah... underwhelming so far.  

I think the issue is that he's been asked to play this arrogant heel character, which I guess if you're very familiar with him might translate ok, but to his large new audience it just comes across as if he can't quite be bothered and the whole thing is beneath him.  He seems a bit listless and low energy.  It reminds me of when WWE guys would come into TNA and not take it seriously, for some reason.  It was really jarring against Pac, a wrestler who makes everything look snappy and intense.  Okada's slower, deliberate pace is actually something I like, and would probably fit in perfectly into WWE main event style, but in AEW it feels weird.

He has a lovely dropkick, but so did Jeff Farmer.  

14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The handling of Swerve on this show was pretty fucking disgraceful. A 3 minute promo would have been better than an ice cold pointless 15 minute match.

Extremely worrying.  The reason I think Joe has been the best AEW champ in years is that he was presented as the top guy, the main event, and he also carried himself like that.  He brought so much prestige to the title.  I wonder how much of that was his influence, because I hope we don't slip back into the MJF era where the champ and the title are just one of a number of things competing for tv time / Khan's attention.  In recent years, the booking has been all about the chase (see also Hangman) and the minute the babyface wins they're out of ideas.

34 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought his match with Pac was great. But I understand if you never saw his matches with Omega or Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom and are judging him on his few AEW matches thus far I can understand feeling underwhelmed. I think hes in a great spot with the new Elite though.  

I've not seen it, unfortunately. The thing with AEW is that the wrestling is so good that having a good match doesn't in itself make you stand out; there has to be that extra something. Ospreay has it. Moxley has it. Swerve has it. MJF has it. There are countless others too - I'm yet to see it in Okada, but that's not to say that I won't. 

27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Given the number of Championship celebrations WWE held after Wrestlemania, I can understand why Tony Khan might have wanted to avoid something along those lines; but I'd hope on reflection, he'd accept that what he chose to do instead was a mistake.