• Paid Members

This episode made me wonder if they’re building towards a Blackpool Combat Club vs. Don Callis Family Blood and Guts and/or Anarchy in the Arena match. It’s around this time of year they start doing a big faction war to build towards those matches, and they’re the only factions really beefing right now.

Ideally they just drop the idea of doing these matches annually, it’s the worst type of contrived booking to always have specific stipulation matches at the same time every year. But if they are going to do it, I can’t really see who else could fit the bill. Maybe a miracle happens, Omega is healthy and they do Elite vs. Elite? Have Hangman and Omega return with their own back up? Can the Motor City Machine Guns still go?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Having cross-promotion stuff is fun to a point, but this seemed nuts to me, having your biggest star put over another company and title as his main goal.

Considering that title will likely be defended in the main event of Forbidden Door in a couple of months I'm fine with it being put over as a big deal, just not when there's a PPV a couple of days later.

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Ideally they just drop the idea of doing these matches annually, it’s the worst type of contrived booking to always have specific stipulation matches at the same time every year.

Its a draw with ratings and attendance. Definitely not going away. It has moved around a little May-June-July. With the way the PPV schedule is set-up I could see it the end of July/early August.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

his episode made me wonder if they’re building towards a Blackpool Combat Club vs. Don Callis Family Blood and Guts and/or Anarchy in the Arena match.

That's what I was thinking. I'd be fine with that if the Don Callis Family had been consistently pushed as a big deal and a major threat but they've been regularly forgotten about and ignored since the summer to the point they barely feel like a faction let alone a real threat.

Me personally, if they absolutely must do these annually then some kind of Team Hangman vs Team Swerve in Blood & Guts would fit the bill better. Fold in a bunch of singles feuds into one big bloody extravaganza.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

That's what I was thinking. I'd be fine with that if the Don Callis Family had been consistently pushed as a big deal and a major threat but they've been regularly forgotten about and ignored since the summer to the point they barely feel like a faction let alone a real threat.

Me personally, if they absolutely must do these annually then some kind of Team Hangman vs Team Swerve in Blood & Guts would fit the bill better. Fold in a bunch of singles feuds into one big bloody extravaganza.

Yep I agree, would be a fun few weeks of TV too with Hangman and Swerve trying to get people on to there teams.

I mean who the fuck would want to team with Swerve?!

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members

I think there's a golden opportunity here to rehash an old NWA title finish - let's make the Athletic Commissions a heel entity that we can use in the story and have them intervene and stop one of Moxley's matches because he's bleeding.

Shambolic treatment of Nyla though it's been... I'd use it, if she's OK with it.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

I think there's a golden opportunity here to rehash an old NWA title finish - let's make the Athletic Commissions a heel entity that we can use in the story and have them intervene and stop one of Moxley's matches because he's bleeding.

Shambolic treatment of Nyla though it's been... I'd use it, if she's OK with it.

Isn't it also a variant of the Network storyline? I never caught it at the time, but from what I could figure out, it seems like that.

Assuming they just make the interfering figure "the Athletic Commission representative", rather than specifically Oklahoma's (think they could be sued if they did), it's definitely a story that would be both interesting and effective in its satire. 

Maybe they could even fake up a body and call it the "Oklahoma Sports Association"? Make the entire state the villain. That would be some supreme shithousery right there. Mind you, JR might oppose it - but if he's up for it, make him the rep or the liaison for it.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Maybe they could even fake up a body and call it the "Oklahoma Sports Association"? Make the entire state the villain.

Swagger's still on the books, right?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Swagger's still on the books, right?

Shittest recreation of Bret Hart's 90s gimmick ever

55 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Isn't it also a variant of the Network storyline? I never caught it at the time, but from what I could figure out, it seems like that.

Basically yeah. Old Cyrus the Virus was the Network rep and thus had control on their TV show. However he had no power on ppv because it wasn't on the Network.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Basically yeah. Old Cyrus the Virus was the Network rep and thus had control on their TV show. However he had no power on ppv because it wasn't on the Network.

I love it when wrestling stories, gimmicks, and angles work in that level of detail. Like whenever Kobashi and Akiyama ended up facing each other in tags, they would be the only ones who wouldn't shake hands, or when Stone Cold did the three-finger salute instead of the bird to The Rock in the build-up to their WM19 match (I know air_raid's a fan of that too), or when Ronnie Garvin used the Hammer Jammer to counter the Heartbreaker.

In that sense, wrestling is very similar to drag - the thing that puts something over the edge creatively is the attention to finer detail. It's immensely satisfying, and, as a fan, it feels like they've put the extra effort in to make it as entertaining as possible for you.