• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I assume after the dissolution of the JAS that Cool Hand will not be required to hand over the baby to Jericho so he can drain its life essence. 

Edited by JLM

16 hours ago, Chili said:

Not Dynamite related but I'm throwing this in here because it's the thread that gets the most eyes, Nyla Rose is brilliant and fuck this shit.

Why does it turn in to a Kendrick Lamar song in the last two lines?

spacer.png

• Paid Members

The best thing they could do now is get blacklisted by OK state, then throw a show called "I'd Sooner Be In Texas" or similar crap pun, in Dallas/Houston/wherever. Nothing beats a cheap pop.

I do wonder if this discussion should be shifted to a standalone topic to do it justice, though I totally understand the logic in placing it here. It’s a topic that is likely, sadly, to rear its head again; given the issues that not only trans wrestlers have faced, but trans people in general. I feel like there’s discussion to be had not only about that, but the role of the promoter and even senior wrestlers in speaking out about this. While we might not change the world on a wrestling forum, I do think it’s important that discussions like these are made as visible as possible; I can only imagine how hopeless it must feel to be trans right now, so visible conversations that don’t revolve around hate are surely important.

• Paid Members

So glad to see the outpouring of love for Nyla. One of the great tweeters.

I thought that was a cracking go home show*. Great Mox promo, an unexpected bait and switch for the opener (I believe Julia is working hurt), great story progressions for Dynasty and a fantastic main event with Ospreay and Castagnoli, topped with a great go home spot with Swerve stomping an army to get to Joe. Great stuff!

*other than Piss Jericho, can’t believe he’s worked on to the main show and not zero hour.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 11:55 AM, Supremo said:

Hopefully they don’t add too much else. Chances of Jericho somehow managing to get on the show and stinking it up? Rarified air of a man in desperate need of a massive fuck off.

IMG_8091.thumb.jpeg.a24111d9e1272be9f09f571fca489d93.jpeg

IMG_8092.thumb.jpeg.1d8048f5870a6d3ee0f52ab8e99919f6.jpeg

I simply cannot anymore. There needs to be an intervention. We all shouldn’t be punished for eternity, just because Jericho doesn’t want to go home to his nutcase MAGA wife for an extended period of time. Just get a divorce, Chris.

You hope Jericho was watching that opening segment. Moxley went away for weeks and it already felt exciting and novel to have him back. It’s not rocket science and requires little to no effort. You can even give those poor bastards at the trademark office a break. Just fuck off for a bit, please! Alas, I’ve given up hope. It won’t happen. I reckon we’re three weeks from him trademarking, “Jericho needs to fuck off.”

It was a good go-home show. Everything settling back down after two weeks of their heads falling off because of CM Punk. The momentum’s not there like it could have been, but still a positive sign to see them steady the ship again. Who knew that ignoring people in other companies and just cracking on could produce positive results?!

Really good mixed tag. Copeland had some great hoss chemistry with Brodie King. They should do a singles match. Brilliantly fun spots when Willow came out and started diving on Brodie, too. She rules. Strap her up.

Interesting the way they had Copeland nod and shake hands with Mercedes. Hopefully what Copeland has been doing is contagious because he and Mercedes couldn’t be more different right now. Copeland is doing all this new, interesting, exciting stuff, whereas Mercedes is very slowly dying on her arse. She looks the absolute business - the rainbow hair from this week may have been the best look yet - but fuck me if there’s nothing there beyond the look and ability to carry yourself like a star.

Weeks and weeks of bad, NXT-style promos. Each time they release a, “WE HEAR FROM MERCEDES,” graphic it’s sounding more and more like a threat. It’s the pits. I had to check Wikipedia to confirm, and was not surprised to see Mercedes hasn’t had much of a career beyond NXT and WWE. It seems ingrained in her. Like it’s all she knows. That WWE cadence and rhythm, where everything half rhymes. It stands out as so fake and shit in AEW. The phoney, robotic delivery is only compounded by the crappy, spooky, attacked-in-the-dark storyline. I thought we’d all admitted this Scooby Doo shit belongs in the bin? MJF’s career nosedived trying to make it work in this environment. We had to do a whole G1 tournament to distract everyone from it! Have we learnt nothing? The idea of Mercedes keeping this up, doing these bad promos, crappy acting and not wrestling until the end of May sounds absolutely dreadful.

Instant return to form for The New Elite. Great match, fun character work, excellent dickhead-ery. I laughed out loud at Mathew still talking into the microphone as he got suplexed. I saw The Bucks were teasing a surprise at Dynasty. I assume Jack Perry joins The Elite after helping them win the ladder match. Providing they keep the Punk stuff to a minimum and focus on being So Cal Twats, I think it’ll work. Perry looked like a superstar on that New Japan show.

Bryan Danielson doing a Bunkhouse Brawl the night before his dream match pay per view headliner. Never change, Bryan.

Fantastic match between Ospreay and Claudio. It remains amazing how quickly Ospreay has adapted and became such a complete North American pro-wrestler. Superstar.

Great night for Swerve. Good promo and then an amazing spot where he took out everyone with a stomp before landing on his feet. Top guy stuff. It’s time to pull the trigger. Learn from WWE. Pull the trigger when the time is right. We always knew the right time to pull the trigger on Cody was Wrestlemania 40. Definitely not Wrestlemania 39. Same applies here. You can taste it. It’s now or never. Nothing less than a Swerve victory will suffice on Sunday!

But yeah. Almost goes without saying. Full support for Nyla, who’s great, massively under-utilised and an absolute hoot on Twitter. This should kickstart a new push.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I do wonder if this discussion should be shifted to a standalone topic to do it justice, 

The woke thread is there for people who want (and currently are) discussing the topic in broad strokes.

14 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The woke thread is there for people who want (and currently are) discussing the topic in broad strokes.

That’s a little different though, and it’s discussing the subject in a broader sense as opposed to specifically in connection with wrestling. And I think there are important points that could be discussed further here - for example, the fact Tony Khan hasn’t addressed it publicly. Not one main event wrestler - as far as I can tell - has said anything publicly to support Nyla. It’s also not the first time a trans person has faced discrimination in wrestling - look at Rick Steiner’s behaviour towards Giselle Shaw, for example; or the transphobic signs aimed at Nyla at previous AEW shows. 

If this was almost any other form of discrimination, it would - rightly - have sparked a visible response of condemnation; and possibly a cross-company one. But there’s almost a quiet acceptance of this, or perhaps even a normalisation of it. We’re talking about - in this case - a discriminatory barrier that has the potential to stop someone (not just Nyla) from earning a living in a fictional sport. And no one of status within that sport is brave enough to say anything about it - that’s big enough to merit wider discussion, I think. Hopefully it’s being handled quietly behind the scenes with the hope of making this barrier go away.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a pretty decent and solid, if unspectacular, show. Some thoughts:

- Mox coming out to the big babyface pop with a major singles title just feels right. Great promo and the best type of "rah rah" speech. He's the man and the heart and soul of AEW - imagine wanting to see him back in the 'E? Awful. My only problem with this is that it didn't build up Dynasty which should have been the sole purpose of everything on this show. They should have left his return to next week, post PPV.

- Mixed tag was fun with the clear highlight being Willow attacking Brody. What a star she is. Good bit of chaos at the end, but they should really of had the rest of the House of Black and Kingston and Mark Briscoe involved too. Nothing is better than when you overlap different storylines into one nice bit of TV and hit multiple goals in one segment.

- I think what we're seeing with Mercedes we are going to see more and more with ex-WWE people in the next decade. Wrestlers entirely trained in the Performance Center with absolutely no idea how to be realistic, natural or believable outside of the WWE environment. The PC prepares wrestlers perfectly for WWE but without getting that proper "get over on your own" experience that working indies and overseas tours gives you - they're going to be fucked.

- Look, we all know that Jericho is shit and needs to fuck off. We all know that the Hook/Jericho storyline is a terrible mess. HOWEVER. If you just watched this angle on this show as a singular bit of television it was pretty fucking good. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. Good angle and Jericho was on point throughout. I have no interest in this rematch though, this feels like an angle they should have done a few weeks ago before they had their first match. What a mess.

- The EVP's bumping the FTR video package was hilarious and incredibly creative. More of this!

- I think every match on this show had a post match heels attack babyfaces angle. Not great.

- Shane Taylor vs OC was a great match and I'm glad to see Shane Taylor getting more TV time. Imagine if OC still had the International Championship, this feud with Trent would have even more juice (and also would mean Roderick Strong wouldn't be having his pointless nothing of a reign). Cool ending with Trent but again, they're not having a match at Dynasty so why is this on this show?

- Toni Storm is a heel but it's impossible to boo someone so hilarious. The heel/babyface divide in AEW is a bit of a mess right now actually and I think it's effecting the heat going into matches. Lot's of tweeners, the heels aren't heelish enough and that's affecting the babyfaces.

- Predictably great Ospreay vs Claudio match. My only change is if they could have had Danielson on commentary with Don Callis - that would have been a nice extra bit of spice to things.

- Swerve/Joe stuff felt like proper main event stuff. Not much cooler than Swerve stomping on everyone then still landing on his feet. Though I really think the contract signing angle from a few weeks ago should have been the final go-home angle before the PPV. Feels like they put the angles in the wrong order.

- Overall, decent enough show though perhaps they didn't do quite enough to get me excited for Dynasty. This felt like the show they should have had last week before pulling out some bigger guns for the final sell before the PPV.

He's back and he looks like Phil and Grant's long lost, twice-as-hard-as-fuck brother!

spacer.png

A fit, healthy looking Mox should be a lucky rabbit foot in AEW's back pocket. Fully agreed seeing him storm out by himself with a title just feels great. He can keep his BCC membership card in his Bad Motherfucker wallet because honestly I'm not sure what much else there is to get out of the faction. They were always a bit naff, watered down Mox and Danielson, and only really helped the personality challenged Claudio.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

My only problem with this is that it didn't build up Dynasty which should have been the sole purpose of everything on this show.

It was worse than that.  He went out at the top of the show and cut the impassioned new babyface champ promo about how it had taken him 5 years of blood and sweat to achieve this most prestigious title, and how that was what AEW was all about.

Except it wasn't the AEW World Title he was talking about.  It wasn't even one of the myriad titles AEW promotes, it was someone else's title, won on someone else's show that AEW fans can't even watch through AEW.  It was the climax to a storyline we haven't seen.

Having cross-promotion stuff is fun to a point, but this seemed nuts to me, having your biggest star put over another company and title as his main goal.