• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Basically yeah. Old Cyrus the Virus was the Network rep and thus had control on their TV show. However he had no power on ppv because it wasn't on the Network.

People talk about how petty Tony Khan is. Paul Heyman basically ruined a years worth of TV with that shitty storyline just to publicly complain about the TNN executives.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

People talk about how petty Tony Khan is. Paul Heyman basically ruined a years worth of TV with that shitty storyline just to publicly complain about the TNN executives.

See, it sounds awesome to me, and like a superb way to hit back at the otherwise-unaccountable arseholes who fuck up other people's livelihoods and creative directions on a whim - if there's anything that power fears, it's satire, and that seems like a supremely pro-wrestling way to do it. I love it. But I didn't see it, so I don't know how well or badly it was done.

• Paid Members

Cyrus "You, give belt-o, to Rhino!"

Tajiri : "FUCK! YOU!"

.... but they also used it to expect us to believe Scotty Riggs was a threat to RVD, so you know, swings and roundabouts.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I loved the Network angle when I saw it, but that's because it was a heel stable with Rhino, Corino and Tajiri, and Don Callis as a mouthpiece, and that's hard to fuck up.

Using an on-screen heel to explain unpopular changes to the product - similar to what the WWF did with Right To Censor - is something I'm generally a fan of, and knowing that there was always a chance that Cyrus would get his comeuppance at a PPV is a great touch. I wasn't aware of any of the politics or behind-the-scenes drama feeding into it at the time, so it just felt like another iteration of the "heel authority" act that was everywhere in 99/2000 anyway. In retrospect, ECW on TNN was the height of wrestling pettiness.

Maybe a better example for this kind of thing would be Bill Alfonso's gimmick as a representative of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission, banning moves and being anti-hardcore on top of being a heel ref. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

See, it sounds awesome to me, and like a superb way to hit back at the otherwise-unaccountable arseholes who fuck up other people's livelihoods and creative directions on a whim - if there's anything that power fears, it's satire, and that seems like a supremely pro-wrestling way to do it. I love it. But I didn't see it, so I don't know how well or badly it was done.

Well TNN didn't fear this satire, they just cancelled the show because they wanted Raw instead.

I still wish he’d pinned a statement on Twitter, but fair play to Tony Khan for his comments on the Nyla Rose situation from the AEW Dynasty media call. Not only did he condemn it, explicitly calling it discrimination - but he went a step further saying he didn’t think there should be discrimination against transgender people in general. It would have been very easy for him not to say that; he’ll get attacked online for doing so. Huge credit to the guy for that.

Strong episode.

I find myself agreeing that now is the time to pull the trigger on Swerve.

Adam Page becoming even more unhinged as Swerve's first challenger, could be a blast.

Okada is a glorious dick head.

Cracking main event and a strong closing segment. 

14 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Adam Page becoming even more unhinged as Swerve's first challenger, could be a blast.

I wouldn’t be against Page winning the title on the Dynamite after Dynasty, in a way that sets him up as the top heel in AEW, and gives Swerve a mountain to climb before a longer title run. I think AEW needs to do something shocking and unexpected to spark interest, and this might do the trick. Page winning the title, then beating the shit out of Swerve rather than celebrate, continuing to obsess over Swerve and other opponents rather than relish the fact he’s champion could be a lot of fun. It would also allow for a Page/Omega rematch for the belt, with the roles reversed.

As far as sparking interest in the product again, I feel like a heel Page as champion could be a strong option - you could do Page/Omega, Page/MJF, Page/Moxley, Page/Ospreay and the eventual Swerve rematch - all of which would produce compelling television.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Swerve beating Joe for the title isn't good enough. He needs to beat Hangman for the title. Anything less isn't good enough. 

Fantasy booking time (look away now). Here's how I would very loosely book the Spring/Summer:

- Hangman costs Swerve the match at Dynasty.

- a few weeks later Hangman beats Joe for the title on Dynamite. Possibly Swerve fucks up and accidentally causes Joe to lose the match in the process of attempting to fuck Hangman over.

- Hangman full heel Champ. Promises that Swerve will never be Champion as long as he holds the title.

- Swerve in full babyface chase mode. Eventually leading up to Team Hangman vs Team Swerve in Blood and Guts in July. If Swerve's Team wins he gets a title shot at All In. If he loses then no title shot til Hangman drops the title. 

- you have a few weeks of them putting their teams together. Hangman makes an offer: if you join his team and help him win he'll give you a guaranteed title shot. This naturally attracts the biggest scumbags so Hanger quickly has a team of say: Jay White, Trent Baretta, Takeshita and Samoa Joe (who still also wants revenge on Swerve for costing him the title). Swerve has to put a ragtag group of babyfaces together and finds guys who are coincidentally currently feuding with everyone on Hangmans team (lets say Orange Cassidy, Darby Allin, Will Ospreay - split from the Don Callis gang by this point and a final fan favourite Mark Briscoe or Daniel Garcia or Hook). 

- Blood n Guts. The super friends babyface Team Swerve win.

- All In is Swerve's big crowning moment. Wins the title in the main event at Wembley.

- Next episode of Dynamite, Hangman wants a rematch. One last match. Swerve agrees. On one condition. TEXAS DEATH 2.

- at All Out, Swerve beats Hangman to finish the story. The End.

Edited by LaGoosh

Eric bishoff seems to be continually insulting aew. I'm not sure if something has happened and that has caused it or if he's just trying to keep himself relevant. The thing is though when it is continuous negativity and nothing positive it's fairly clear he has a bias against them for some reason. Anyone know what it is?

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Swerve beating Joe for the title isn't good enough. He needs to beat Hangman for the title. Anything less isn't good enough. 

I’m totally with you on Swerve beating Hangman for the belt. The next match between the two being a mere title defence for Swerve just doesn’t feel like it does the feud justice. 

The thing that makes me think he probably will win is that Joe labelled him a ‘choke artist’ - so I think there has to be a middle ground; in that he wins at the PPV, then loses the belt quickly - so he gets one over on Joe, yet gives ammunition to that label and a mountain to overcome.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, no user name said:

Eric bishoff seems to be continually insulting aew. I'm not sure if something has happened and that has caused it or if he's just trying to keep himself relevant. The thing is though when it is continuous negativity and nothing positive it's fairly clear he has a bias against them for some reason. Anyone know what it is?

He's an old hack running the same grift as every other old hack with a podcast. He knows it gets him in the clickbait headlines so he just keeps doing it. Same as Jim Cornette, Bubba Ray Dudley and the rest of those washed up old boot licking cunts.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Swerve beating Joe for the title isn't good enough. He needs to beat Hangman for the title.

Totally.  And the only thing I'd change about your plan is keeping Joe in the title scene for a bit after he loses to Hangman - possibly a three-way or something so that they prolong Swerve's agony a little longer.  Joe is essentially a face, so having him lose to Hangman rather than Swerve makes better sense anyway.

I do wish there was a way for Joe to have a substantially longer reign, if only because he feels like the most "legit" world champion they've had in a long time.  By which I mean that MJF, as entertaining as he was, often didn't feel like the star of the show and his reign ended up getting lost in the complications of the whole Adam Cole soap opera. Plus you had all the Punk/alternate belt bullshit.  Whereas Joe is presented as THE MAN.   And he's healthy and in probably as good a shape as he's been in for years, and who knows how long that will last.

Edited by Loki
forgot about Punk