27 minutes ago, no user name said:

Yeah I mean a lot of it is personal opinion. I never felt any kind of connection to him but perhaps others did. 

Although he did turn babyface before leaving, he was a heel when he really featured in AEW - meaning it would have been harder for you to form that connection, to be fair. 

But either way, you can point to countless examples of wrestlers thriving after changing landscape. I’d point to Steve Maclin, PAC and Naomi as recent examples, and looking further back you could add Gail Kim, Drew McIntyre and Bobby Lashley to that list. He’s certainly not been diminished during his time in AEW, so I think he has a good opportunity to make an impact somewhere. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Although he did turn babyface before leaving, he was a heel when he really featured in AEW - meaning it would have been harder for you to form that connection, to be fair. 

But either way, you can point to countless examples of wrestlers thriving after changing landscape. I’d point to Steve Maclin, PAC and Naomi as recent examples, and looking further back you could add Gail Kim, Drew McIntyre and Bobby Lashley to that list. He’s certainly not been diminished during his time in AEW, so I think he has a good opportunity to make an impact somewhere. 

I don't know. Personally there are heels that still know they are good and feel a connection to them. Mjf for example. Maybe some people don't but I do personally. I hope he does well though. I think it's sad when a wrestler doesn't work out in a company and people want them to fail. I do think he's  the kind of wrestler that would look great in the independent scene so if he goes to tna he would still be able to do that and I might get to see him live. 

Edited by no user name

• Paid Members

I’m not clever enough to have noticed it myself, but someone on Twitter pointed out the cute foreshadowing in The Elite’s recent escapades. Re-naming it, “The Tony Khan Driver,” only to hit it on Tony Khan himself. Re-naming it, “The EVP Trigger,” only to hit it on their fellow EVP, Kenny. Love little Easter Eggs like that. Finger crossed they re-name the Superkick, “Sack Chris Jericho.”

Thought this was a better week for Dynamite than the previous one.

Khan wearing his neck brace got a laugh from me at the start. I hope he keeps wearing it but pray this doesn't go down the nWo route of the authority figure who's been getting twatted by them eventually joins up with them. Follow that up with the Bucks changing the opening credits to just showing themselves, Okada & Perry and we're off to a good start for the show.

Then we get Swerve presented as the top guy, something that didn't happen last week. Him against Christian is a good opening fued for Swerve. He's going up against a real credible challenger, somebody who has valid reasons to wanting to fight Swerve and also the possibility further down the line to turn Christian face with The Elite handpicking him as the number one contender, him failing to win the title and then the latest member of The Elite, Jack Perry, revisiting his past with Mr Cage. And that will undoubtedly result in him and Copeland finally joining forces along with Omega and Jericho because you know it's Jericho. A Canadian quartet to face The Elite.

Speaking of Copeland, his match with Buddy Matthews was another one of those AEW love. A long, drawn out match with a foregone conclusion. As a one off it'd have been enjoyable but when you get them every week, it becomes a chore. Could have done without the lights out stuff that followed. 

Joe against Cassidy was something we don't get enough of on AEW, a good squash. Joe is in the form of his life but unfortunately is sort of stuck with nowhere to go right now, especially as the rest of the top stars are all occupied at the minute. Joe v Mox perhaps?

Good to see Skye Blue back. And calling Stokely a bald bitch on a leash got a laugh.

Good to them following up with the Trent/Orange Cassidy story. Also Trent blacking out Chuck's name on his t-shirt (following up from blacking out Orange's last week) is the little touches I like. Statlander being involved in this story as well as the Willow/Mercedes one is another nice touch. Too often it's one story per person. Not sure about the Don Callis involvement, mainly because I don't find Don interesting. I think all of his "Family" would be better without him. 

The Bucks being smug, insincere cunts backstage is the sort of characters they should always play. Perry still looks like a tramp. Have a shave and tidy that beard up. Give him a suit. I'm guessing the hair over his face is part of the story, given he was moving his hair out of his eyes when Punk threw the first punch so little chance of him doing anything with that mane. 

Jericho and Shibata was as entertaining as Jericho has been this calendar year. Still waiting for the moment Taz twats him though. 

More good mic from Willow. She's certainly becoming a real star and hopefully AEW realise what they've got on their hands. They usually struggle when booking face champions after their crowning moment but so far they've got it spot on with Willow. Big thumbs up for Stokely's facial work throughout this segment as well. Had a right cob on with Skye Blue's comments. 

The Claudio/Cage match probably wasn't needed but was still a good match. And it gave the Canada crowd a win via the sharpshooter. Taz and Schiavone pissing themselves about wether or not Schiavone had suplexed somebody from the middle rope before was a highlight of the match. 

Continuning with the Best Friends saga and giving Rocky Romero some time to give his side of the story was unexpected. I think he said he was now able to be a champion in AEW and is going after Kyle O'Reilly (who to my knowledge isn't a champion). Maybe I've misheard it though, should probably rewatch it to make sure.

The only womens match on Dynamite this week was Mariah May against Sereena Deeb and I saw a few posts saying they don't get Deeb and I'm in the same boat. I think part of the problem is because she's one of the better technical wrestlers in the division they try too hard to showcase it and the matches don't flow. 

Copeland against O'Reilly?

And then we end on the Kenny Omega return. Fantastic closing angle all round. Omega against Okada will be boss if they can get to it. A multi-man match may be the best way to ease Kenny back into the ring if he's up to it. 

Overall, a much more enjoyable show for me this week.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’m not clever enough to have noticed it myself, but someone on Twitter pointed out the cute foreshadowing in The Elite’s recent escapades. Re-naming it, “The Tony Khan Driver,” only to hit it on Tony Khan himself. Re-naming it, “The EVP Trigger,” only to hit it on their fellow EVP, Kenny. Love little Easter Eggs like that. Finger crossed they re-name the Superkick, “Sack Chris Jericho.”

Wasn't it called the Meltzer Driver for years but they never hit him with it. 0 stars. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Never seen like someone happy just collecting a pay cheque. I could see him end up back in TNA.

Not sure, TNA management is largely different now but he was pretty petulant on his way out last time.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_8192.thumb.jpeg.9fad15517b484a98b9aaa08a34412d77.jpeg

Meltzer reported after last Wednesday’s angle that Kenny was miles from being cleared. He still needed the surgery, followed by a long stint of rehabilitation. I didn’t expect to see Kenny again for a very long time.

Now though? I’m starting to think Big Dave’s been worked again.

Summerslam 2002-style Unsanctioned Street Fight at Double or Nothing, Kenny Omega vs. Jack Perry? Kenny would thrive doing something like that. Scamp loves a worked injury.

They could always stick with tradition and go straight to Anarchy in the Arena or Blood and Guts, but I was secretly hoping they’d delay that long enough to where FTR aren’t involved. It was a massive boner killer when FTR ran out for the save last week. They’re the last people I want defending AEW from the nWelite. Give me the AEW All Stars! The Homegrown talent! Not idiots who were teasing going back to WWE only a few months ago. Kenny Omega, Hangman Adam Page, Eddie Kingston, Orange Cassidy, Darby Allin, MJF, Moxley. There’s loads of guys I’d much rather do Avengers Assemble to help Kenny overcome the odds. Frankly anyone would be better than FTR. Except Kota Ibushi, obviously.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
On 5/3/2024 at 7:12 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Wasn't it called the Meltzer Driver for years but they never hit him with it. 0 stars. 

Always thought it was a stupid name. They should've called it the MeltzDown.

• Paid Members

Kingston I get, but I'm a bit lost as to why Danielson would be inserting himself in the story with The Elite? I guess he has history with Okada? Feels a bit jarring to throw him back into something that's not the Ospreay programme given he was selling the neck injury, but I suppose they can come back around to that. 

The match should be excellent, but it feels like a slightly random line up. Maybe I'm missing something obvious there . 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Anarchy in the Arena announced then...should be good seeing who's involved

I've only checked in via social, but I think they've already announced this. As far as I understand it it's Bucks/Okada/Jungle Boy v FTR/Kingston/Bryan.

Slightly disappointed we don't have more AEW originals in the babyface team.  

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I for one am always disappointed when the big announcement isn't Bram signing a new contract.

Also... is Keller over-egging it when he says Cassidy recovered from a piledriver on the ring steps in about a minute and was back up wielding a chair? If that's accurate.... sorry, NOT MY GRAPS.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, mim731 said:

Kingston I get, but I'm a bit lost as to why Danielson would be inserting himself in the story with The Elite? I guess he has history with Okada? 

I can see it. Danielson had his arm broken by Okada, has feuded with the BCC before, it's pretty well known he has a leadership position backstage and has talked about how great AEW is in promos and how much he loves it. But they need to put that across on television rather than relying on fans putting the pieces together themselves. It'll be pretty easy to incorporate the above with Danielson saying something along the lines of "the EVPs are running wild, trying to take over this great wrestling promotion that I love and and I'm here to stop it". But knowing AEW's past form they won't really connect any of those necessary story dots and will just crack on. 

Mogul Embassy turning on Swerve was pretty brilliant stuff. It achieves multiple goals of getting babyface Swerve away from his heel faction, ending a fairly pointless faction that had outlived it's usefulness, giving Swerve more hurdles and obstacles on the way to Double Or Nothing, raised the stakes for the PPV match, and got everyone involved more heat. Top notch economic logical stuff.