• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Jericho in an enjoyable match? I'm amazed. Do more garbage shit Chris, it'll save ya.

Would be fairly fitting if, so soon after the (actual) 15th anniversary of the Rourke shenanigans at the (pretend) 25th anniversary of WrestleMania, Jericho started a full blown transformation into Randy the Ram.

1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

Let's hope so. I thought the crowd were a bit shit last night.

I only caught the closing segment but yeah it was dead quiet, even if the hard cam side was empty I'd expect more sound for Kenny turning up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I only caught the closing segment but yeah it was dead quiet, even if the hard cam side was empty I'd expect more sound for Kenny turning up.

Live reports saying the crowd were super loud all night so I'm guessing AEW did a shit job mic'ing them up. They seem to do this fairly often.

Could really do without seeing Jericho in trunks but if this FTW title story results in him doing a 1999-2000 comedy hardcore title run that's totally cool with me. He can't do much these days but Jericho can definitely still do good goofy and funny hardcore matches.

39 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Live reports saying the crowd were super loud all night so I'm guessing AEW did a shit job mic'ing them up. They seem to do this fairly often.

It's very odd, watching the shows on a TV and the crowd are always super quiet, I watched Ospreay Vs Takeshita with some headphones on and It was insanely loud, then watched the rest of the show on TV and it was pretty quiet. They defo need to sort that out. 

Rubbish episode performed in a library, saved by the main angle. The Bucks and Perry are far too goofy for this angle to have any real gravity but I like that there's finally a big overarching storyline to carry the show. The Bucks editing the opening video was great stuff. 

Good to see Omega back. He feels like a big deal and cut probably the best promo of his career. Woof on those punches though. Looked terribly fake and still managed to potato Jack Perry. 

I've generally enjoyed Adam Copeland's matches but him vs Buddy was a massive slog. The weekly lights out shit is wretched.

I'm not entirely sure why The Best Friends are suddenly furious at each other but at least they kept it short.

Willow's babyface promos continue to be a weekly highlight. Hopefully they keep her at the forefront after the Mercedes feud.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I'm not entirely sure why The Best Friends are suddenly furious at each other but at least they kept it short.

- Trent had been visibly getting more and more frustrated and angry in matches for quite some time and losing constantly.

- Fed up of losing all the time and jealous of Orange Cassidy's success, especially as Orange Cassidy was brought in as their mascot but has eclipsed them massively. Trent attacks Orange after another losing effort. 

- Orange Cassidy hoped he and Trent could reconcile but Trent ruined that when he smashed Chuck's leg and ended his career (possibly). Now he's mad and wants to fight Trent.

It's pretty simple and good stuff.

It's a shame Kenny is out. I am absolutely desperate for him to get that big babyface main event run. AEW just instantly feels more alive and exciting when Kenny Omega is positioned as the top guy.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

What I would say is that Kenny is not a great promo, but it doesn't matter. If he is involved in a top angle there is automatically a bigger feel to the angle because he is involved. Kenny is a main event guy, and hopefully that angle leads to something special. I'm not sure a straight retread of Omega v Okada is it, don't get me wrong it would be great, but I would hope for something that little bit extra. 

18 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

What I would say is that Kenny is not a great promo, but it doesn't matter. If he is involved in a top angle there is automatically a bigger feel to the angle because he is involved. Kenny is a main event guy, and hopefully that angle leads to something special. I'm not sure a straight retread of Omega v Okada is it, don't get me wrong it would be great, but I would hope for something that little bit extra. 

It could be the match to make Okada in AEW though. Not to say he's doing a bad job at all since he signed, but it could be the match/feud that really makes people understand why he's so highly regarded.

• Paid Members

If it got 7 stars in Osaka, one can only imagine where the scale will move to at a packed Wembley.

• Paid Members

Kenny looked like an absolute star. He has this frustrating thing where he seems able to turn that star power on when needed, and just not always thinking that it is needed, so he spends too much time dicking about it, but then when he does flip the switch he's light-years ahead of almost anyone else in the company.

Because so much of it was real and from the heart, that felt like the best Kenny promo I've maybe ever heard. When he said that one wrong hit to the gut could kill him, I remembered Jack Perry punching Tony Khan in the stomach last week and was convinced that he was going to do the exact same thing to Kenny here, and take what had been a dickhead cheap shot and make it a real unhinged heel move, I hadn't expected them to go so hard or for Kenny to actually hit a couple of spots.

I have no problem with them going back to Omega vs. Okada, they can't have those two in the same company and not do it, and obviously that was always the intent behind putting Okada with the Bucks. It's been five or six years since their last match against each other, and they're both very different wrestlers and characters now, but even if they weren't, you don't not take the opportunity to revisit some of the most critically praised matches ever.

A lot is going to hinge on healthy Kenny is able to get. Assuming he is ever able to come back for a proper run, they're going to need to do him vs. Okada again, I expect that they have at least planned for him to team with Ospreay against the Callis Family, and I think the story of The Elite will eventually lead to Young Bucks vs. Omega & Hangman 2 at Revolution next year, five years after the original match. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Kenny looked like an absolute star. He has this frustrating thing where he seems able to turn that star power on when needed, and just not always thinking that it is needed, so he spends too much time dicking about it, but then when he does flip the switch he's light-years ahead of almost anyone else in the company.

It's an interesting one. I saw some summary of what he was saying about Roman Reigns and how it's like he'd want to be presented. Almost as if it wasn't exactly his choice to be dicking about, which is never the impression I got. I always assumed he was quite happy just chilling and doing various things.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's an interesting one. I saw some summary of what he was saying about Roman Reigns and how it's like he'd want to be presented. Almost as if it wasn't exactly his choice to be dicking about, which is never the impression I got. I always assumed he was quite happy just chilling and doing various things.

I found that conversation really weird. Because I felt his presentation in 2020/21 as the belt collector was similar in some ways to how Roman was presented. Minimal matches, taken as a serious threat, presented as a huge deal.