8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Also... is Keller over-egging it when he says Cassidy recovered from a piledriver on the ring steps in about a minute and was back up wielding a chair? If that's accurate.... sorry, NOT MY GRAPS.

Here's the segment: 

• Paid Members

Yeah it was bad and weirdly out of place in an otherwise good segment. You end a segment with a piledriver on the steel steps, you don't start it there. I have no idea what they were thinking. Save a spot that killer for when it's needed.

• Paid Members

Just seen a few clips this morning so can't judge the whole show by them but the best bit was Killswitch looking at Christian when Swerve was talking about Drake been a fake father from Toronto. Apart from that I know they had to get Swerve away from the rest of those jobbers but having them kill him doesn't make me or I suspect anyone care anymore about them. Did they have to make the champ look like a chump. 

As for Team AEW v The EVPs, when three of team AEW have held multiple championships in the WWE and none of Team EVP has even worked there and 2 of them helped found AEW and another has been there pretty much from the start who is really Team AEW. 

• Paid Members

Literally - 6.36, impact on the steps. 7.36, Cassidy rises to his feet. There aren't strong enough words in the English language for how strongly that's a GO FUCK YOURSELVES from me, Clive.

I mean, I hate shameless Whatabouttery but next time I catch any AEW sycophant drag up Super Cena crushing Nexus at SummerSlam 2010 as one of their "jump off" points, I'm lowering myself to their level and bringing up this in response. What a farce.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, air_raid said:

but next time I catch any AEW sycophant drag up Super Cena crushing Nexus at SummerSlam 2010 as one of their "jump off" points, I'm lowering myself to their level and bringing up this in response.

Has this happened before or is it an example you've conjured in your imagination? I don't really see how the two things compare at all.

Not to change the subject but fans weren't upset by Cena getting up from a DDT on the concrete or whatever it was, more that they killed off a (at that time extremely rare) genuinely hot exciting angle in one quick, fell swoop just to put over John Cena who they were already bored of.

While this is just a dumb no sell in a fairly minor angle and storyline that isn't the focus of the entire show which no one will remember in two weeks.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Let's not argue about a spot in a sport where a wrestler was pushed off the top of the building, into a river, and arrived dry for his match about 30 minutes later.

Though I agree, he should have sold it. I wonder if that wasn't the planned spot and they had to improvise.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

wonder if that wasn't the planned spot and they had to improvise.

If you are doing an unplanned piledriver on the steps then you should get back in the backyard where you belong. 

I know that people pop up from all sorts of moves these days, but for something that could be as legitimately dangerous as that, on national TV it has better have been very well planned or everyone involved should get fired. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Let's not argue about a spot in a sport where a wrestler was pushed off the top of the building, into a river, and arrived dry for his match about 30 minutes later.

I don't think anyone is arguing. Everyone so far has agreed it was a bad spot. I think what makes it most surprising is it was from Orange Cassidy who doesn't really have any history of stuff like  this, in fact he's one of the best sellers in the business! Very strange.

Bad crowd this week. Though to be fair there was 4,000 of them in a 20,000 seater! I'm sure there's a reason for doing it but it drives me bonkers - surely there's smaller venues they can pack out instead? What happened to all those great old places ECW used to run?

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Has this happened before or is it an example you've conjured in your imagination?

Yes, I've encountered tons of AEW fans using "Super Cena" and him not selling other guys' stuff as their reason for switching off WWE at various points. Otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. I have no imagination.

51 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't really see how the two things compare at all.

John Cena absorbed a DDT on the floor which should have had him selling being knocked out for a good length of time, 90 seconds later he gets the winning pin.

Orange Cassidy absorbed a piledriver on the steps which should have had him selling being knocked out for a good length of time, 60 seconds later he's back on his feet wielding a chair.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Bad crowd this week. Though to be fair there was 4,000 of them in a 20,000 seater! I'm sure there's a reason for doing it but it drives me bonkers - surely there's smaller venues they can pack out instead? What happened to all those great old places ECW used to run?

I know attendance chat is almost as bad as RATINGS chat but looking on Cagematch a local show in January at the same arena drew double that crowd last night, and I'm pretty sure that everyone on Dynamite is a bigger draw than Taryn From Accounting, OK maybe not Trent Baretta. They seem to be stuck in a low attendance rut and they just can't shake it. Which is a shame because they deserve better. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

@Lion_of_the_Midlands I read this on twitter a few days ago that There was an Edmonton Oilers game on last night and they had a fan screening of it nearby which had 20,000 tickets sold, so it was a bad choice (although one they wouldn't have known about when they booked the venue as its playoffs).

They just hired a new head of live events and I hope he figures it out. I know Tony Khan has said before there were 2 factors.

1 - The cost of hiring a 15,000 or 5,000 venue is not that dissimilar.

2 - They book venues far in advance and they will often have a number of dates booked rather than just booking a venue once. 

But surely the most obvious reasons are the product hasn't been as hot, cost of living means less disposable income, and WWE has gotten extremely popular. Before AEW launched, Raw and Smackdown were performed in front of half empty arenas. The Bloodline reignited a lot of lapsed fans and those who got bored of WWE and checked out AEW have now returned to WWE.  As long as it looks good on TV, (which I thought despite the hardcam side not being open at all) it looked good, even if it didn't sound it (that's a separate issue)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
read not saw

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

They seem to be stuck in a low attendance rut and they just can't shake it. Which is a shame because they deserve better. 

Maybe the fan they market to, who loves the wider wrestling bubble and has been watching the myriad of different styles they like from multiple different promotions through the Internet for fucking years before AEW, simply can't be persuaded to part with the cash to see live what they can watch at home in comfort, with snacks, without travel hassle/encountering other wrestling fans (ew)? While a PPV is a different animal, I used to pass on WWE tours if my convenient cities were just getting a TV taping instead of a house show because I knew I'd mostly get "storyline" and short crap matches without proper finishes. While AEW is probably better in this regard, I can still see people still thinking "it's only Dynamite".

There's only a finite amount of wrestling fans out there, and a lot of them are no longer as fed up or bored of WWE as they were a few years ago, so that's definitely got to hit them somewhere.

It's not the quality as it's evident the roster is great and their PPVs are arguably the best out there (and in history) but people only have so much time/money etc.

What they're selling now as an idea and an 'alternative' is in a different landscape to when they first launched.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's only a finite amount of wrestling fans out there, and a lot of them are no longer as fed up or bored of WWE as they were a few years ago, so that's definitely got to hit them somewhere.

Yes. It's a similar situation as to when WWFE bought WCW ; rather than the WWF/WWE managing to steal some of the dwindling viewership and PPV/ticket sales from WCW fans jumping over, they ended up with fewer people watching/paying for their own product than when there were two companies in existence - in other words as well as their own fans going down in numbers/spending less, wrestling fans that had been keeping faith with WCW simply stopped being wrestling fans at all, at least in terms of mainstream shows. As the WWE fanbase of the last ten years has contracted, the number that AEW could win back from watching no wrestling as well as poach from WWE, that's a question mark.