• Paid Members

The Mariah May/Toni Storm story is one of my weekly highlights. It's such a bizarre story with everyone in it acting so weird but it's just absolutely loads of fun. I'm not sure who is in love with who or what exactly the relationship dynamics are but it's just a really great bit of character work done in the background of the main title feud. I think it's probably the best thing they're doing at the moment and I can't wait to see where it goes. Really hoping they don't rush any heel turns. Let this go on for months until it's ready to explode.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Let this go on for months until it's ready to explode.

The like is 75% for the sentiment and 25% for not using “cook.”

…… the numbers don’t lie.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The like is 75% for the sentiment and 25% for not using “cook.”

…… the numbers don’t lie.

If I ever say "let it cook" or "this is cinema!" about pro wrestling I give every UKFF poster permission to punch me in the face.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The Mariah May/Toni Storm story is one of my weekly highlights. It's such a bizarre story with everyone in it acting so weird but it's just absolutely loads of fun. I'm not sure who is in love with who or what exactly the relationship dynamics are but it's just a really great bit of character work done in the background of the main title feud. I think it's probably the best thing they're doing at the moment and I can't wait to see where it goes. Really hoping they don't rush any heel turns. Let this go on for months until it's ready to explode.

Also as well the little touches/expressions from Luther help. All 3 in that dynamic play their roles brilliantly. 

In a weird way, I'm kind of looking forward to a sort of Outcasts reunion when Ruby and Saraya start to try and get their friend 'back' as they just seemed to drop Toni when she moved fully into Timeless mode. Gives the character another storyline as and when they start to run out of steam with the title picture. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, RedRooster said:

What I mean by that is that I don’t personally think it should veer into the territory of an angle requiring the reality of wrestling being predetermined, and wrestling being fictional, for it to work. I’m not sure if ‘worked-shoot’ applies here, but it’s perhaps something approaching that. 

I think you should be able to explain Perry’s suspension and reappearance in a way that is consistent with the storyline world - much as people (including me!) were calling for WWE to explain why Cody briefly gave up his title shot in the run-up to Wrestlemania. 

That’s where this is falling short for me. 

I genuinely don't get how you're complicating this. Anything that's needed to be on TV has been on TV, and other than the initial incident, everything has been storyline.

Perry was suspended for a backstage altercation (and the other person was fired, as was explained on TV by Tony Khan). He then, in storyline, tore up his contract in protest and started working for another company. The Bucks always liked Jack, so they've brought him back and allied with him - and gone for a power grab while they're at it.

In the overall context of pro-wrestling, two wrestlers getting in a backstage fight and one getting fired is well within the parameters of the wrestling storyline.

• Paid Members

airing the backstage footage from Wembley does muddy the waters a little on that front, though, because it makes something off-TV into part of the on-TV storyline, and that highlights some inconsistencies - we had weeks of blokes in devil masks running around beating people up backstage, and even after they revealed their identities, none of them were suspended or fired, nor was anyone else who's been in an on-screen backstage fight. So what was so special about the Jack Perry/CM Punk fight to warrant that response?

It's almost moot, though, as they very quickly moved to Jack Perry attacking Tony Khan as the real inciting incident and the core of his alliance with the Elite anyway.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

airing the backstage footage from Wembley does muddy the waters a little on that front, though,

"Even though Lita was "married to Kane" on TV, Amy Dumas came home every night to ME."

Never fails to be shit.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

and that highlights some inconsistencies - we had weeks of blokes in devil masks running around beating people up backstage, and even after they revealed their identities, none of them were suspended or fired, nor was anyone else who's been in an on-screen backstage fight. So what was so special about the Jack Perry/CM Punk fight to warrant that response?

You're definitely not wrong but wrestling is always inconsistent with this stuff. You'll have wrestlers suspended or fired for storyline reasons one week when a week later a different wrestler will do something ten times more heinous but face no repercussions whatsoever because that's what that particular story requires. I think as a fan you just have to accept these fairly regular inconsistencies and logic gaps otherwise it'll just suck all the joy out of watching and you'll end up nitpicking everything.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

You're definitely not wrong but wrestling is always inconsistent with this stuff. You'll have wrestlers suspended or fired for storyline reasons one week when a week later a different wrestler will do something ten times more heinous but face no repercussions whatsoever because that's what that particular story requires.

Not to go back to Deadly Game to prove my point or anything... but the Austin/Vince dynamic was one of these. Vince tried and tried for months to get the WWF title off Steve Austin by beating him in the ring for it but it was clear Vince could have just stripped him of it if he fancied it, because he'd done it as recently as December 97 with the ICT, to The Rock's benefit. He decided eventually that Austin wasn't worth keeping around in the wake of Steve failing to ref properly in the Taker/Kane title match, and fired him. Shane "brought him back" which ended up an elaborate scheme to... I dunno, swerve Austin for fun? But if they were on the same side the whole time, they could have just left him fired rather than reintroduce the element of chaos to their lives for the sake of a laugh.

It doesn't make sense. If Chewbacca makes sense, you must acquit.

• Paid Members

I always saw all that stuff as the McMahons just being megalomaniacal richies who were motivated by a desire to break Austin mentally for defying them.

• Paid Members

One of my favourite wrestling inconsistencies is how short term every wrestlers memory seems to be. Like you'll have The Rock and Stone Cold teaming up on Raw when three years previously The Rock had thrown Stone Cold off a motherfucking bridge! I've held far longer and deeper grudges in my life over much small slights than attempted murder.

• Paid Members

The best will always be heel guest referees, who will do everything in their power to screw over their babyface enemy, but will still honour a kick out and not hit the three if their shoulders are up. What a stupid medium. I love it with all my heart.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

airing the backstage footage from Wembley does muddy the waters a little on that front, though, because it makes something off-TV into part of the on-TV storyline, and that highlights some inconsistencies - we had weeks of blokes in devil masks running around beating people up backstage, and even after they revealed their identities, none of them were suspended or fired, nor was anyone else who's been in an on-screen backstage fight. So what was so special about the Jack Perry/CM Punk fight to warrant that response?

It scared Khan because it happened right in front of him. That's the difference - And it's exactly the disproportionate response that (in character) Perry's so angry about, especially since it's now been shown he was sucker-punched.

18 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s the most AEW thing to Unify titles, introduce new Undisputed Title belts, but then keep the old ones too. Nine belts! They’re single handedly keeping whoever makes those belts in business! There isn’t a problem Tony Khan can’t solve with MORE BELTS.

Saw this mentioned previously, I don’t think they were new belts, I am assuming they just had the pink Acclaimed set, the original AEW Trios (pre Acclaimed) then the ROH.