• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The Mogul Embassy turn was very clearly telegraphed, but also completely the right thing to do. Swerve still being aligned to three heel henchmen makes no sense. I just hope they don't split up Swerve and Nana. The only real downside was that it feels like every week Swerve is on the other end of a battering on TV.

I completely agreed with your take on OC there.

And also my instant reaction to Swerve getting beat down was ā€œ2 weeks in a row?!?ā€. Yes, it needed to be done and yes, itā€™s great build to the PPV. But due to the fact itā€™s still got 3 Dynamites to go, they could have at least pushed their turn back another week, because now heā€™s left looking foolish getting blindsided 2 weeks on the trot.

I'm wondering if Tony Khan's mindset to running a business is similar to David Brent.

"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No he turns up in a newer car. Perception, yeah?"

Rather than admit to everybody that they can't sell out a big arena, they continue to book them and try their best to hide to the viewing public that ir isn't filled.

7 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

I'm wondering if Tony Khan's mindset to running a business is similar to David Brent.

"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No he turns up in a newer car. Perception, yeah?"

Rather than admit to everybody that they can't sell out a big arena, they continue to book them and try their best to hide to the viewing public that ir isn't filled.

They've downgraded from a number of NBA/NHL scale arenas that they were trying to do in 2022-23. The ones that they still have on the schedule probably have nothing to do with perception and just the realities of a touring/TV company.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

These deals are negotiated months, even years in advance sometimes. after Covid in 2021 they were selling well and continued to until probably mid 2023. I do think they are learning but we'll probably still seem them in big arenas for TV for the rest of this year. Personally I can see them using smaller arenas going forward for TV and the big arenas for PPV's or big TV events which they still do pretty well selling.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

According to Jeff Jarrett (who I think has some role in live event production/booking) the costs of booking a large venue vs a smaller one are pretty similar. I'm assuming the venues are chosen because of location (large venues are probably often in better locations than the smaller ones) and production reasons (large arenas are probably more prepared and easier to accommodate all the TV production requirements that a live TV show requires).

Still though, if it was up to me I'd be putting Dynamite in cool, smaller venues like the Hammerstein Ballroom every other week. Collision live from the Manhattan Centre etc.

As for Dynamite this week, I think almost everything on the show was pretty decent. The layout of the show drove me absolute crazy (as it often does) and with a reordering of segments, a few minutes shaved off things here and there and a couple of small tweaks to some of the angles it could have been much better. Copeland vs Brody was the obvious highlight with Willow's brilliant promo further proving that she should be the face of this whole damn promotion. I love her. Marry me, Willow.

Edited by LaGoosh

Am I the only person who isn't really feeling the Tony Khan vs. The Elite storyline? It doesn't make any sense if you stop and think about it for a second.

Jack Perry was suspended after being attacked by Punk, who was then sacked. In a storyline sense, much more violent attacks happen to wrestlers on a weekly basis.Ā 

Perry returns, attacking Tony Khan. The Bucks then attack him, but have ironclad contracts so can't be fired. That bit is fine, but why can't Khan sack Perry; particularly since he sacked Punk for less (which is the foundation of this storyline, so matters).Ā 

The New Elite brutally attack Omega, but again, none of the people who could be fired face any repercussions at all.Ā 

There's absolutely scope to have cleaned up the rough edges from the outset here - and they could have had something much stronger as a result. I think, if you apply a test of 'how would you explain this story to someone who isn't watching to tell them why they should?' to this, it fails.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It doesn't make any sense if you stop and think about it for a second.

Basically no authority figure related story in wrestling history makes any sense. That's why they are mostly bad.

I guess it depends what you want from a wrestling angle.

MostĀ of them don't stand up once you think about them too much or pick at the details. Not just authority related stuff but basically most things. I'm okay with that unless it's utterly ridiculous.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Basically no authority figure related story in wrestling history makes any sense. That's why they are mostly bad.

Thing is, the holes in this were easily filled.Ā 

Perhaps Perry comes back, apologises to Khan; and as a show of good faith, Khan agrees he can't be cut or suspended for any reason going forward. Perry attacks him.Ā 

Or you don't have Perry attack him, The Bucks (with their ironclad contracts) do that.Ā 

Or you can reveal The Bucks had been put in charge of negotiating Perry's return, and reveal he was offered an ironclad contract as part of that - later giving Perry scope to turn on The Bucks if you wish.Ā 

7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

MostĀ of them don't stand up once you think about them too much or pick at the details. Not just authority related stuff but basically most things. I'm okay with that unless it's utterly ridiculous.

Is that reallyĀ true, though? I'd argue that pretty much all of the good/successful ones stand up to scrutiny - or at least easily explainable to a non-fan. I'm not sure this one is.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

You can view it like Austin/McMahon in a way. Not Khan being a heel owner, but needing to keep them around because they draw in their storyline world.

Could be a fair argument, but Khan fired Punk - who is a significantly bigger star than Perry.Ā 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah for sure. Even the best angles make very little sense once you apply real world logic to them. Wrestling is a unique mad bubble world and part of enjoying it is ignoring the huge gaps in logic to most of it.Ā 

As for the Elite vs Tony Khan/AEW thing, it's fine. No more illogical than any authority angle. It's an ok story that's not really blowing me away as of yet but has had some fun moments. It's better so far than most authority angles of the past decade at least.

15 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah for sure. Even the best angles make very little sense once you apply real world logic to them. Wrestling is a unique mad bubble world and part of enjoying it is ignoring the huge gaps in logic to most of it.Ā 

A genuine question - could you give examples to illustrate this point? I honestly don't think that statement holds up to scrutiny. It's absolutely happened in wrestling, but I'm not sure it stands true when you consider the really good angles.Ā 

I think, though, the problem with this angle in particular (for me at least) is that it's very difficult to explain to someone who currently is not watching - say, someone who switched back to WWE and is open to giving AEW a chance.Ā 

As soon as you say 'Jack Perry was suspended as Tony Khan blamed him for having to fire Punk', you have to answer the question of why Punk was fired...and that's hard to do if you consider it in a storyline sense. I think it's unnecessarily messy, which is a bit of a shame. It's easier to drive interest in your show if your angles are easily explained.Ā 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

A genuine question - could you give examples to illustrate this point? I honestly don't think that statement holds up to scrutiny. It's absolutely happened in wrestling, but I'm not sure it stands true when you consider the really good angles.Ā 

Ā 

What a good angle is is subjective but in terms of good/memorable/famous angles that weren't famous for being bad...

Kane's debut/feud/relationship with The Undertaker never and to this day still doesn't really make sense.

Hogan vs Rock had an attempted murder in it

Austin vs HHH likewise had an attempted murder in it

Shane McMahon vs Vince McMahon/Shane just swooping in and buying WCW

The Invasion or any invasion style storylines

Any time a champion leaves with the belt or threatens to leave with the belt. That's theft and if they did take it the company would just make a new belt and move on while criminal proceedings took place for said theft. E.g Punk at MITB

Wrestling as a concept doesn't make sense and we shouldn't really try and make sense of it either. Like LaGoosh said it's a mad bubble world.

Ā 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_8204.jpeg.70f0d38970667b4a5e80eba8c329d36a.jpeg

If Iā€™m honest, Orange Cassidy getting up from the piledriver on the steps didnā€™t even register with me in the moment. It was only after coming online and seeing all the moaning that I realised. I donā€™t think it was that bad. Not ideal, but itā€™s not as if he jumped back up and was doing springboard somersaults for the win. He was stumbling about all over the shop, only grabbing the chair to protect himself, further selling the idea that theyā€™ve hammered home for over a year now, which is that heā€™s too tough for his own good and wonā€™t ever stay down. Unless Jon Moxley literally murders him.

I was trying to think of the most famous use of that spot, where someone is piledriven on the steps, and Iā€™m sure it happens in the Bad Blood ā€˜97 Hell in a Cell match with Taker and Michaels. Might use this as an excuse to give that another watch. Get the stopwatch out to see how quickly Taker gets back to his feet. Itā€™s not psychology if itā€™s less than four minutes!

It was an okay show. Nothing bad, just really cold. Canā€™t believe how quickly this next pay per view has come around. Only two weeks left! Bring back the golden days of four big shows a year, where everything had time to breathe. This pay per view cycle has felt like a mad rush job. Like when you canā€™t be arsed reading your kid their bedtime story so you start truncating the paragraphs and skipping pages. I donā€™t think itā€™s a coincidence that the best pay per view cycle theyā€™ve had in the last year or so was leading into Revolution 2024, which was a solid couple of months.

The biggest negative about the show was the Malakai Black stuff, where heā€™s, ā€œcorrupting,ā€ Copeland into joining the dark side. Itā€™s the absolute drizzling shits. I have less than zero time for this bollocks. There isnā€™t a big enough FUCK OFF I can give it. ā€œIā€™ll spray you with the spooky mist, which will slowly turn you evil.ā€ Stupid e-fed rubbish that kids would come up with on GeoCities. Has Malakai Black ever done one of those post-show press conferences? Iā€™d love someone to ask what his influences are. Bet he hasnā€™t consumed any media since he was sixteen.

Itā€™s even worse that itā€™s Copeland thatā€™s doing it because before this heā€™d been one of my favourite parts of the show. All bright, colourful, happy to be here, having new, fresh exciting matches. The last thing I ever need to see is Edge going back to the DARK PLACE and getting the fucking thrones and hour glasses out of storage. I thought weā€™d all agreed that first version of Judgment Day was a pile of wank and it only got good when they sacked off Edge, sacked off the spooky nonsense, and just tried to make each other corpse in The Clubhouse?

Even if the singles match with Malakai bangs (I donā€™t think it will), itā€™s not worth all this shit. This might be Undertakerā€™s most damning legacy (of which there are many); making the next generation believe all this spooky nonsense has a place in pro-wrestling.

Dream scenario is that the Wyatt Six becomes a huge success and anyone partial to this bullshit can go join in. Make it the Wyatt Nineteen. Get Kross in there. Send Buddy and Malakai over. Get it all in one place so I only have to suffer it once a week. Stick it on NXT. HBK would fucking love it!

Willow Nightingale is one of the best babyface promos in the business. Great delivery. Iā€™m going to be furious when Mercedes and Statlander cost my girl the belt!

Jericho still sucks. Really annoying to read online that heā€™s starting win people over and is supposedly, ā€œmaking it work.ā€Ā You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak.

Mogul Embassy turning on Swerve was perfect. One of the better things about AEW is that they always call back and tie up loose ends like that.

I understand people complaining that The Elite angle doesnā€™t hold up to any type of scrutiny. Thereā€™s tonnes of holes. Why can Kenny make matches that Tony canā€™t? Is the internet in the hospital better than at the Jacksonville office? Is Tony Khanā€™s internet with Virgin? That would explain why itā€™s taken over a week to fix it!

Ultimately, I donā€™t think it matters.Ā Iā€™m still delighting in what a brilliant bunch of pricks Mathew, Nicholas, Okada and Jack are. Arguably even funnier to do those opening credits again this week. They should keep it going for a while. Nick Jackson is low key one of the funniest wrestlers alive. Such a dry, sarcastic prick. No wonder he winds so many people up.

Anarchy in the Arena should be wild. Mathew Jacksonā€™s exploding shoe vs. Eddie Kingstonā€™s blood-soaked gas can? Good Lord. Irresistible Force vs. The Immovable Object! Cash Wheeler in a match like that, too? Heā€™s going to kill himself with some of the bumps heā€™ll take. Might even bring his gun! Am I right, Pat? Pat? Get it? Pat?

Speaking of Pat. Say it quietly. Jungle Jack doing better promos than CM Punk right now. Was not on my bingo card.

I guess this confirms the reports and Omega is still miles from a return. A huge shame, especially after last week. Thatā€™s the best Kenny Omega has ever looked. Super babyface, suited and booted, with great delivery. Get well soon, Cleaner. Cannot wait to have him back. Imagine the inevitable vignette when he goes to find Hangman drowning his sorrows in a dingy bar somewhere, overgrown moustache now reaching the floor. Kenny simply lays down a Bic razor. ā€œWe need the old Hangman.ā€

Death Triangle vs. Bang Bang Gang is a step in the right direction for the Trios Titles. Especially now Jay White and The Gunns have got their mojo back as funny heels. Austin made me laugh out loud on this show as he walked off, ā€œGuns upā€¦.ya bastaaaaard!ā€

Itā€™s the most AEW thing to Unify titles, introduce new Undisputed Title belts, but then keep the old ones too. Nine belts! Theyā€™re single handedly keeping whoever makes those belts in business! There isnā€™t a problem Tony Khan canā€™t solve with MORE BELTS.

Fantastic hoss scrap for the TNT Title. This is what the House of Black should be. The sooner Brodie drops those loser goth mates the better. He should be a main eventer.

Surprisingly dramatic and harrowing promo from Serena Deeb. Really took me by surprise. All that stuff aboutĀ seizures sounded terrifying. Itā€™s such an impressive story that she mounted a comeback that you almost wonder if sheā€™s going to win the title. But then again, with Bryan Danielson backstage? I bet heā€™s already pitched a horrible, uncomfortable finish where she loses viaĀ seizure. I love the man. Heā€™s the best ever. Still an absolute sicko for this stuff.

Anyway, look at this. Art. Should hang it in museum, entitled Tony/Toni (2024).

IMG_8200.thumb.jpeg.95f457e2b55b29609f24a6165e340ca5.jpeg

Edited by Supremo
Schiavone is me when my toddler throws a tantrum in public.