26 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I know attendance chat is almost as bad as RATINGS chat

It's not :)

It probably is when people start using it as a bashing tool though.

To add to the actual discussion, that stairs spot was absolutely pathetic.

I think they diluted their own product with the introduction of new shows. It used to be that you could go along to Dynamite, and it was pretty much guaranteed you'd see all of your favourite - now, not so much. The introduction of additional PPVs also means there's less in the way of blockbuster matches on television and 'special' episodes - the shows often follow a format of multiple long matches with obvious outcomes - while I've no doubt some people enjoy the artistry, there's little drama in a predictable match. 

With WWE improving, I suspect some AEW viewers turned back over and didn't turn back. Financially, perhaps the trade-off was worth it for Tony Khan, I don't know - but I do miss the days of the crowd elevating each Dynamite and making even the mundane feel exciting. I certainly don't think their current situation with attendance was inevitable; had they - for example - decided against expanding their TV presence.  

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Great, so book the 5000 seat venue and fill it.

Someone needs a 50 cent bet on this ASAFP.

Get 5000 fans in the club, and AEW will sip Bacardi like it's their birthday.

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

With WWE improving, I suspect some AEW viewers turned back over and didn't turn back. Financially, perhaps the trade-off was worth it for Tony Khan, I don't know - but I do miss the days of the crowd elevating each Dynamite and making even the mundane feel exciting. I certainly don't think their current situation with attendance was inevitable; had they - for example - decided against expanding their TV presence.  

And as we've seen with WWE - those hot crowds make a hell of a difference, and they're actually more regular there now than with AEW, which is a real shame.

They need to go to smaller arenas, I've been banging on about this for ages. Make it LOOK different. Hell, have some shows in the same place for a few weeks. AEW still gets hot crowds for their PPVs and their ratings remain pretty consistent, but a hot crowd adds to their shows. It should feel like a party.

Obviously a hot WWE doesn't help at this time, but it can change fairly quickly.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I read this on twitter a few days ago that There was an Edmonton Oilers game on last night and they had a fan screening of it nearby which had 20,000 tickets sold, so it was a bad choice (although one they wouldn't have known about when they booked the venue as its playoffs).

The last time the Oilers didn't qualify for the playoffs was 2018-19 so it's hardly news that they are in them and booking anywhere in Canada at the business end of the Ice Hockey season is always going to be asking for trouble. 

50 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I know attendance chat is almost as bad as RATINGS chat

Which you find a way to bring up in almost every thread I click into. 

One trope I can't wait to see buried. 

• Paid Members

For all the attendance talk - I don't think 4000 is a bad numberb or a number to be ashamed of at all. It's really what I would expect for a company of their size. If you put that 4000 in a suitably sized building it'd be fucking great. As a fan in attendance it's probably hard to feel a buzz when the gigantic building you're in is mostly empty. I can imagine that just being a bit of a downer. 

53 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I know attendance chat is almost as bad as RATINGS chat but looking on Cagematch a local show in January at the same arena drew double that crowd last night, and I'm pretty sure that everyone on Dynamite is a bigger draw than Taryn From Accounting, OK maybe not Trent Baretta. They seem to be stuck in a low attendance rut and they just can't shake it. Which is a shame because they deserve better. 

Seems like this was just a promotional night for the local minor league hockey team with the ring tucked away in an empty section of the stand. Mistico recently did something similar at an NFL game if I remember right.

• Paid Members

In terrible news - this new Jericho stuff might actually be....working? He's been great the past two weeks at least. Trust him to actually turn what looked like a completely fucking dead act around.

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

In terrible news - this new Jericho stuff might actually be....working? He's been great the past two weeks at least. Trust him to actually turn what looked like a completely fucking dead act around.

I knew it would and I'm annoyed by it. We'll still see, in like two weeks if he's got some phrase or something gaining traction he'll probably end up making it work. The jammy shite!

• Paid Members

I can almost see the logic to Orange Cassidy still fighting back after the Piledriver - we've seen that he's super resilient, and we've seen the piledriver on the ring steps before in AEW, so it doesn't feel like the shocking break from the norm it should be. It's not like he was standing tall and fighting back, he was staggering around, clinging to a chair as his best possible defence. But it was too quick, and nothing had time to sink in. The end of the segment should have been the slingshot into the ring frame - I'm not sure I've ever seen it before, and it's an unusually vicious idea, so if they'd actually given that spot time to breathe, I'd have been much happier with everything going on around it. Cassidy being able to walk out at the end of it all was ridiculous, he should at least have had more people helping him.

The Mogul Embassy turn was very clearly telegraphed, but also completely the right thing to do. Swerve still being aligned to three heel henchmen makes no sense. I just hope they don't split up Swerve and Nana. The only real downside was that it feels like every week Swerve is on the other end of a battering on TV.

I liked that they did an angle setting up that if Rocky Romero had beaten Jay White it would have earned him and Orange Cassidy a Trios Title shot, only to still have Jay win.

Nothing else really jumped out at me. I have zero interest in Adam Copeland going to a "dark place" for the millionth time.