• Paid Members

yeah, I was worried when Copeland took the black mist at the PPV that this is a whole leading to him needing to "get darker", and cut promos sitting down in dark rooms again. I don't want dark brooding serious Edge, I want kazoo-playing funny guy Edge, because that's both more genuine and makes for better TV. The last thing I want to see is Copeland having to play spooky bollocks to beat House of Black at their own game, because it seems half his last WWE run was spent "getting serious" and "getting darker", and he has so much more to offer as a feel-good wrestler.

But on the other hand, if it leads to another Gangrel cameo, I won't complain.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

yeah, I was worried when Copeland took the black mist at the PPV that this is a whole leading to him needing to "get darker", and cut promos sitting down in dark rooms again. I don't want dark brooding serious Edge, I want kazoo-playing funny guy Edge, because that's both more genuine and makes for better TV. The last thing I want to see is Copeland having to play spooky bollocks to beat House of Black at their own game, because it seems half his last WWE run was spent "getting serious" and "getting darker", and he has so much more to offer as a feel-good wrestler.

I'm just hoping he doesn't start talking about "grit" like he's off in his hi-vis winter proofing the roads again. Jesus, that was tedious. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'd not considered this, but... now their feud is blown off, the next lot of money in Copeland & Christian is in them reuniting...

Khan would bloody love booking HoB vs The Brood, wouldn't he? Would turn him on almost as much as booking mid-2000s RoH guys to reignite their rivalries on national TV. 

I’m nearly sure I heard Tony Schiavone say at one point during commentary on Collision that it was going to be Adam Copeland Vs Buddy Matthews even though they were still advertising it before & after as ‘Vs. A Member of the HOB’

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

In-ring wise it was a pretty duff show but the three main angles (Kenny attack, OC/Trent and Christian's return) all worked well for me. OC/Trent in particular was fantastic, really got over everyone involved and added an intriguing twist with Don Callis's involvement and him seemingly being interested in OC rather than Trent. They did amazing work here with only about 4 minutes of TV time - goes to show how easy this stuff is if you have a clear story with clear characters played by performers who know how to maximise their minutes.

Is Chuck's retirement a shoot?

The Bucks changing the intro to nothing but Elite footage is exactly the type of silly heel stuff I love.

Joe vs Brother Zay was a brilliant squash. Joe is king of the squash matches and Isiah Kassidy is a highly underrated performer. He needs to ditch Private Party and go singles I think, he's really good and has a lot of personality unlike his partner.

I think Copeland/Murphy is still going on. Let me know when it finishes. Hopefully they don't do any spooky bollocks at the end, aye lads!

Regardless of anything, you have to take a minute to realise how insane Chris Jericho vs Shibata for the FTW Championship is. Can you imagine telling someone say 5 years ago that such a thing would happen. Madness.

Willow vs Skye Blue on Rampage was the best match of the night in my book and probably should have been on Dynamite.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I can’t believe after Jericho continually being the worst thing on AEW, constantly stinking up the joint, how much I enjoyed the FTW match. Just fun.

Joe vs Cassidy was also great, a squash of the best kind, even though it went about 5 minutes. 

Buddy Matthew’s continues to be a great wrestler I just don’t care for. That match with Cope was like a never ending story. Deeb is someone else I don’t get. I get she’s technically great but I just don’t care for her.

The opening segment with the Bucks was great. Proper cheese with the new Elite intro. Also did a good job explaining how they can’t get fired for attacking TK (is that all right Kevin Nash?). THEN booking the match I didn’t know I needed, Christian Cage coming out to confront Swerve. Why is he challenging Swerve when he’s not number 1 contender, because the EVP’s said so! And great setting up the reasons why Cage hates Swerve. 

I feel they are really trying to put Storylines into the forefront of TV (OC and Don? Keep him away), and I don’t think that’s a bad thing, but they seem to be struggling balancing the timing of the shows, especially when you are having the shows shunted together due to the NBA. There was no reason 10 minutes of Rampage was taken up with the end of Dynamite. 

Some great stuff, some poor stuff but the good outweighed the bad. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Deeb is someone else I don’t get. I get she’s technically great but I just don’t care for her.

She's a much better heel and was in the middle of a great feud with SHIDA on her last run before her knee exploded. I'm hopeful she turns heel again soon. And even more hopeful that SHIDA comes back to TV full time soon. She's so great. I miss her.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, BomberPat said:

yeah, I was worried when Copeland took the black mist at the PPV that this is a whole leading to him needing to "get darker", and cut promos sitting down in dark rooms again. .

IT'S COMING

I enjoyed the show. Christian felt like the obvious choice for Swerve's first feud, and I liked that he, as World Champion, is making a statement about what the Elite are up to. Will, hopefully, lead to an Okada match in the future, makes both him and that story more important and provided a storyline reason for Christian. 

I like every individual member of the House of Black, and thoroughly enjoy their matches. But they're not used well and they need to stop trying to be the undertaker. I have no idea if the "they won't do jobs" stuff is true, but if so it's such a limiter for a great act that should be the kings of the trios division still.

I thoroughly enjoyed the commentators openly worrying about the safety of Isaiah Kassidy. A great jobbing performance, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

I'm surprised at how into the OC Trent feud I am. I've never clicked with Beretta, but I'm enjoying his work here, and Callis trying to recruit OC will hopefully lead to a barnstorming Takeshita OC match.

No idea why Brian Cage had a match with Claudio, but it was fun.

The Undisputed Kingdom are so crap that they've pulled Will Osprey off TV. Gutted.

Thought the show closing angle was really good, I thought they were going to make Kenny an onscreen performer while he recovers, but apparently not, so we're going to have HEEL GMs for a bit. I guess it's been a few years and AEW hasn't really done it before. Presumably it builds to a blood and guts match, because I don't need to see the Bucks vs FTR again, thanks.

The Elite are brilliant at the moment. The changing of the opening package was brilliant. Great closing segment as well. Teasing Kenny V Okada again. Hopefully that happens at Wembley as it deserves such a stage.

Jericho in an enjoyable match? I'm amazed. Do more garbage shit Chris, it'll save ya.

Love Christian. Great challenger to Swerve.

43 minutes ago, no user name said:

Kenny v okada at Wembley??

The crowd will be going this is awesome before the match has even started 

Let's hope so. I thought the crowd were a bit shit last night.