The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

The whole out of respect thing is such performative bollocks. I find it the complete opposite. Like anyone would get offended by a live stream of something utterly unrelated or someone sending an email.

As with the football cancellations last weekend and the outpouring of corporate 'mourning', it seems we've moved from what was once a more solemn and deferential age to one obsessed with shallow public displays and the cheap appropriation of emotion. Seems so sanctimonious. Perhaps its been going that way since Diana died.

• Paid Members

The football cancellations are likely because of the increased police and anti-terror presence elsewhere, and not being able to adequately police football games. I don't know if the PR of it all would read any better if they came out and said that (because on one hand you'd have football fans arguing that it implies they can't be trusted not to be violent and do crimes, while on the other hand you'll have people wanting to either mourn the Queen or protest making the exact same argument about themselves, while also sowing the seed of panic about a potential terrorist act), but I'm sure that's the reason rather than vague "respect".

Similarly, I had an email from ZSL saying that London Zoo and Whipsnade would be closed for the funeral "out of respect" - then immediately explaining that London Zoo's car park was being used by police as part of the funeral procession/preparations, which is obviously the real reason they've closed. But they've had to put up the facade of it being "out of respect".

There's a real cognitive dissonance around the news constantly talking about her "sense of duty", and the idea that everyone else should stop doing everything in her honour. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

he football cancellations are likely because of the increased police and anti-terror presence elsewhere, and not being able to adequately police football games.

That's for this weekend. Last weekend was simply as a mark of 'respect'. The government and police said they could go ahead. Weirdly in the weekend where MORE police are needed for the reasons you have stated, most of the games are going ahead.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

After a few days of having the music off at work “out of respect”, we’ve got it back on today but it’s what can best be described as ‘Dreary Mix’, the most upbeat thing so far being ‘The Long and Winding Road’.

The radio stations were like that when Prince Phillip died too, a lot of I'll Stand By You (The Pretenders) and other shite.

Still, we did get this excellent cut when BBC Radio 1 Dance announced his passing. What a drop!

• Paid Members

It's times like these that the Irish radio stations really come to the rescue. No Adele and Faith Hill on a loop in order to be suitably miserable. ClassicFM.ie (80's and 90's stuff) saved me in work over the weekend - after Cool FM on Friday (not my choice, believe me) sent me to the brink. 

• Paid Members

We had an email yesterday to announce that the email planned to go out to announce the opening of an employee survey is postponed for 1 week out of respect but that the survey is still open as they can't change it.

Apparently I'm in the minority seeing a flaw in the logic here of sending an email letting people know it's open because sending an email letting people know it's open is considered wrong.