The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

I didn't watch it but I'm not questioning they showed that and it lasted for hours. I am of the opinion that its not beyond the realms of possibility that outwith the time period documented where they couldn't possibly have shown the entire UK that they weren't following the rules, that perhaps they didn't.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

American patriotism, and indeed most countries around the world, is different to British patriotism as theirs is based on the country and not a person. Their anthem (and most anthems) is about their glorious land whilst Britains is about whoever the person on the throne is. No wonder Land Of My Fathers and Scotland The Brave are favoured in parts of the UK. 

A remarkable proportion of national anthems actually seem to be about obscure 19th-century military skirmishes, the USA's included. 

Anyway, up here I expect North Wales Police have spent the past day dreading the prospect of a coronation for William (already bald and 40 and whose bedroom habits are public knowledge, not universally seen as "lovely" like @BomberPat claimed) in Caernarfon sometime in the next couple of years. It was already quite a tense scene last time they tried that spectacle back in 1969. 

FYI, the real reason football cancelled is policing. The EFL, and some Premier League teams, couldn’t get confirmation from local police forces that they could get requisite numbers to police the game, as forces may be re-routed to local memorials, or as part of royal death contingencies they could be re-routed to the Capital if mourners become too much.

For whatever reason, it appears The FA tried to ‘own the moment’ and make a statement of it. It failed miserably, as all sports without policing regulations went ‘nah, we’re just going to crack on lads.’

Every chance the football gets cancelled next week too by the way, as very small chance mourning gets less as we get closer to the funeral.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

FYI, the real reason football cancelled is policing. The EFL, and some Premier League teams, couldn’t get confirmation from local police forces that they could get requisite numbers to police the game, as forces may be re-routed to local memorials, or as part or royal death contingencies they could be re-routed to the Capital if mourners become too much.

For whatever reason, it appears The FA tried to ‘own the moment’ and make a statement of it. It failed miserably, as all sports without policing regulations went ‘nah, we’re just going to crack on lads.’

Every chance the football gets cancelled next week too by the way, as very small chance mourning gets less as we get closer to the funeral.

Excellent point. Thanks for the clarification. 

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

FYI, the real reason football cancelled is policing. The EFL, and some Premier League teams, couldn’t get confirmation from local police forces that they could get requisite numbers to police the game, as forces may be re-routed to local memorials, or as part or royal death contingencies they could be re-routed to the Capital if mourners become too much.

I know people in the police told not to expect to see their family the next ten days. With the change Over the terror threat goes up and you get more police out and about to give people the sense of security. So non essentials like football get shut down. If the funeral is the Sunday then I’d expect next week off as well, most domestic games to start back post international break