The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Isn't this precisely the sort of comment that @stewdoggwas talking about?  I don't think there's a best way of taking that, it reads as (and is) straight patronising.

I do wonder if it's a particular trait of modern Britain that we have such an awkward relationship with patriotism.  In most countries, the death of the Head Of State would be met with a similar emotional response but I wonder if you'd also get a subset of people deciding to judge everyone because of it.  Maybe.  There are certainly countries like the US though where patriotism is assumed and adopted by all sides in the vast majority.  Flying the flag there doesn't cause nearly as much controversy as over here, it's very much part of the everyday culture, along with the pledge of allegiance etc.

Patriotism and the american flag isn't very popular with native americans in the USA. The vast majority of the population of the USA are migrants who either themselves or ancestors went there in search of a better life, many of them because Britain had invaded and pillaged their countries.

Patriotism and flag waving here has also largely been hijacked by the far right which makes it an even more difficult thing for many people including myself to identify with or support.

Furthermore the worship of a non elected head of state born into a life of obscene luxury isn't what I'd call patriotism. I think its telling that the majority of people I know who are very pro royalty/the queen are over 60 and or of a military background where it was indoctrinated into them that these people were important and should be given special treatment rather than people coming to their own conclusions.

A lot of businesses or celebrities "paying tribute" will be doing so out of fear of being given shit for not doing so.

Trevor Sinclair has had to delete his twitter, is facing the sack from his job and a barrage of racist abuse, general abuse and death threats for a tweet simply asking why should he and others mourn. Its absurd.

I cannot name you a single thing the queen has realistically done for me or anyone I know in her entire lifetime. I do remember her coming on TV wearing a £5m hat surrounded by gold whilst people were losing their livelihoods and unable to attend loved ones funerals during covid telling us all to hang on in there though.

I absolutely respect peoples wishes to mourn if they feel so inclined to do so but I do not believe its something that should be enforced on 60 million people.

The vast majority of people putting up posts on social media about it are the same ones who post about every big incident the media tells them to care about.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

This is fucking bullshit. Grassroots football cancelled. Why? Are kids supposed to sit inside and mourn for 4 days?

No, they should be watching the cricket and rugby matches which are going ahead, because those sports aren’t attended by the same low-life scum who watch football.

7 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Patriotism and the american flag isn't very popular with native americans in the USA. The vast majority of the population of the USA are migrants who either themselves or ancestors went there in search of a better life, many of them because Britain had invaded and pillaged their countries.

Patriotism and flag waving here has also largely been hijacked by the far right which makes it an even more difficult thing for many people including myself to identify with or support.

American patriotism, and indeed most countries around the world, is different to British patriotism as theirs is based on the country and not a person. Their anthem (and most anthems) is about their glorious land whilst Britains is about whoever the person on the throne is. No wonder Land Of My Fathers and Scotland The Brave are favoured in parts of the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Oh do tell of the DPRK's national anthem, and of the Juche model.

Well, I remember their media being mocked because they showed a rainbow that appeared over the palace after Kim Jong Il died. The dopes were making out he was the rainbow looking over the country. Our media wouldn’t do that. 

1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Furthermore the worship of a non elected head of state born into a life of obscene luxury isn't what I'd call patriotism. I think its telling that the majority of people I know who are very pro royalty/the queen are over 60 and or of a military background where it was indoctrinated into them that these people were important and should be given special treatment rather than people coming to their own conclusions.

A lot of businesses or celebrities "paying tribute" will be doing so out of fear of being given shit for not doing so.

Trevor Sinclair has had to delete his twitter, is facing the sack from his job and a barrage of racist abuse, general abuse and death threats for a tweet simply asking why should he and others mourn. Its absurd.

I cannot name you a single thing the queen has realistically done for me or anyone I know in her entire lifetime. I do remember her coming on TV wearing a £5m hat surrounded by gold whilst people were losing their livelihoods and unable to attend loved ones funerals during covid telling us all to hang on in there though.

I absolutely respect peoples wishes to mourn if they feel so inclined to do so but I do not believe its something that should be enforced on 60 million people.

The vast majority of people putting up posts on social media about it are the same ones who post about every big incident the media tells them to care about.

The Trevor Sinclair witch hunt is ridiculous, his post could be considered offensive by some but he shouldn’t be sacked for having an opinion, he could be sacked for being a convicted racist but that’s another conversation. 
Do you not remember the queen sitting lonely at Phillips funeral cause of COVID? I mean you probably didn’t watch it but it happened. 
Personally I feel your posts in here are no different to the shite right wingers moaning at people for caring about refugees, human rights etc. You’re assuming that people don’t care but are virtue signalling which is a bit crap IMO. 

I remember a PR photo being released of her being sat alone at the funeral. As neither of us were there I suppose neither of us can accurately know how many people were actually present but I'd certainly consider myself naive if I believed they were sticking to the rules stringently enough limit who was in attendance to the same extent as us peasants.

Let alone that if they were it means they sacrificed a spot for a family member to attend so the photographer could be there.

I've also seen a photo of Hulk Hogan being the first person to ever bodyslam Andre The Giant infront of 200,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs brother.

Each to their own but I think that you calling my confusion as to why people are showing or feigning affection for a total stranger who for 99% of the population has had zero actual impact or influence on their lives other than them being someone they've been told was important their entire lives, the same as far right racism is utterly baffling.

I'm not moaning at anyone for mourning, I have repeatedly said if people feel the need to mourn then do so but it doesn't change me thinking its weird or being against 60 million people having it rammed down their throats, millions of who will have family members whose lives were directly negatively impacted by the actions of hers and her ancestors.

I think people who don't like dogs, or have zero interest in football, or collect insects in little glass frames are weird but not as weird as people who love the royals.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

12 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I remember a PR photo being released of her being sat alone at the funeral. As neither of us were there I suppose neither of us can accurately know how many people were actually present but I'd certainly consider myself naive if I believed they were sticking to the rules stringently enough limit who was in attendance to the same extent as us peasants.

I think we can know because the entire funeral broadcast live on BBC One and Two?