• Paid Members

A France VS Croatia would be the worst scenario, right? Croatia haven't been particularly exciting (and for the most part they've been quite poor), I'm all in for an Argentina VS Morocco final now. Give me either of those please. Messi lifting the World Cup would be the most fitting conclusion to end this generation. 

17 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Oh so people being happy, especially at the moment, is a bad thing?

It is if it means England win the World Cup!

The players are the last reason I’d want them to lose, they seem like a sound bunch, especially lovely Jude and Daddy Henderson. It’s just funny when rival nations lose, especially funny if it’s England.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Wasn't expecting 2 words to get such a venomous reaction here, we aren't all English on this forum and some of us get a sense of satisfaction seeing our noisy neighbors get beaten at football. 😂 Now, up the road.

How are Ireland doing this year…?

• Paid Members

Personally if Scotland had reached the World Cup I’d have cheered for them as well. But them getting anywhere near a major tournament is about as likely as England winning a second World Cup.

Kane spooning his second penalty was hilarious. Hopefully he’ll retire from international football soon.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Messi lifting the World Cup would be the most fitting conclusion to end this generation. 

Yeah, this will do. Or Morocco. Or Modric. Or Lloris.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that fucking CUNT saying "We needed Gary Lineker, we got Chris Waddle" one of the all time terrible comms calls. Absolute prick that bloke.

Ironically Lineker missed the chance to equal the scoring record once with a terrible penalty, and was playing for Spurs at the time. Some things never change.

Lewandowski missed a pen. Messi missed a pen. It happens. And it'll happen again to others. 

Some "hilarious" comments and reactions though for a man who has scored 50 odd goals for his country though. Twats.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Personally if Scotland had reached the World Cup I’d have cheered for them as well. But them getting anywhere near a major tournament is about as likely as England winning a second World Cup.

Apart from the last major tournament before this one?

• Paid Members

Stand an excellent chance of getting to US/Canada/Mexico too I reckon with the expanded format.

About the commentary, it's baffling to me that ITV sent Clive Tyldsley home this week and go for Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon as their number one crew. Lee Dixon is perhaps the dreariest man I've ever heard and Sam Matterface is just crap. Surely, surely anyone with working ears can hear that a John Champion or Clive Tyldsley along with Ally McCoist is by far the superior option. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Stand an excellent chance of getting to US/Canada/Mexico too I reckon with the expanded format.

I think UEFA are only getting a couple of extra spots. The majority of them, and rightly so, are going to the other confederations. 

10 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Surely, surely anyone with working ears can hear that a John Champion or Clive Tyldsley along with Ally McCoist is by far the superior option. 

John Champion is fine but Clive is my personal favourite, I really do like him on commentary. And Ally McCoist is head and shoulders above the others as co-commentator. You can tell he genuinely enjoys watching football for a start, the same can't be said about the Danny Murphy's of this world. Miserable. 

• Paid Members

There you go, so hardly a big jump like when the Euros went from 16 to 24 spots.

Right, onto Southgate. Obviously many experts on Twitter etc think he should step down immediately and most of these feel that with an elite manager we would've won these tournaments. Hmmm. Remember when we had the greatest group of players we'd ever had at our disposal 10-20 years ago and gave two elite managers the chance with them? How did that turn out? Any semi final appearances? Didn't think so.

What are people expecting. This is international football, Pep or Klopp aren't going to suddenly decide they fancy a crack at managing England are they? They're club managers/coaches. How many elite managers win the World Cup? Jogi Lowe was hardly turning heads before he joined the international set-up. Was Del Bosque ever considered a truly elite manager when he carried on the good work that old racist Aragones had started with Spain? What on earth has Franz Beckenbauer done as a manager before and after his Italia 90 success? Time to get real. 

I think he's done a great job. He's built a harmony within the squad(s) that you normally only see at club level. He's done a great job supporting his players. He's given chances to loads of young players. Perhaps he can be a bit too conservative at times (although I don't think he was at this World Cup), but that's evident with most teams at major tournaments. People say he continues to pick his favourite players even when they're not regulars for their club, but he has a valid point when he says the likes of Pickford, Maguire and Shaw have always done well for him. 

World Cup semi final exit AET, Euros final penalty loss, World Cup quarter final loss in a very close match against the reigning champions and favourites. I don't think anyone would have expected this when he took the job after...wait for it...Sam fucking Allardyce was fired.

Honestly, which shining knight can step in and categorically win a major trophy? I've already seen folk mention Sean Dyche's name this evening and that was my cue to leave social media for the day.