• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

For the interested

not in the slightest bit Raiders

I jest. I still think of Shearer as our best striker (until kane that is). Once he got through his injuries and his dry spell prior to Euro 96, it seemed all of our goals came from him. Obviously they didn't, but as a teenager that's what it seemed like. 

I was convinced that Michael Owen was going to obliterate Charlton's record until his legs stopped working and it became very clear that pace and finishing aside, he just wasn't a very good footballer. Which would be a shame if he wasn't such an unlikeable cunt.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I went to that. IIRC there was talk of an IRA bomb threat at the game, but my Dad took me anyway. Top parenting.

Bastard. My only experience at old Wembley with the National team at any level is described on one site like this ;

"Schoolboy International: 7 March 1992 - England 0 Netherlands 0 - a young Phil Neville started for England."

I'm sure there were a couple of other names that made it as far as the Premier League but I wouldn't name them for fear of correction.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

My only experience at old Wembley with the National team at any level is described on one site like this ;

"Schoolboy International: 7 March 1992 - England 0 Netherlands 0 - a young Phil Neville started for England."

Ooh very close to my only old Wembley experience! Also a schoolboy international, with a very young Michael Owen scoring the winner in a 1-0 win over Brazil. 1995 I think/

We also helped set the Guinness world record for most people juggling together at the same time (everyone that attended the match was part of it). Got Kris Akabusi to sign my juggling ball, which was a bonus, and met Sharon Davies. Nicer than being able to tell people you saw Michael fucking Owen score at Wembley before he was known. 

Edit: Holy shit, I just looked up the match and Ronaldinho played in that game!

Edited by PunkStep

I feel a bit spoiled, I went to bloody loads of England games, starting with a 1-0 win against Hungary in 1990.

I also went to every single home game from Terry Venables debut (1-0 against Denmark) all the way through to the semi final loss in 96, apart from one game which was played up north somewhere. 

I was lucky enough to get tickets through my sister playing for Brentford, but even before that it was quite easy to get tickets, especially 92-94 when England were a bit dreadful. 

I'll never forget the first game though. Men just openly pissing up against walls and stairwells.

"Where shall I go Dad?"

"Anywhere mate"

Proper stadium, proper football. 

My Brother in law has a piece chipped off the old twin towers from when they decided to knock it down.

• Paid Members

Forgot to add - my game was allegedly the “Smiths Crisps Challenge Cup.” When the game finished 0-0 - extra time? Pens? No…. good old “each side keeps the trophy for six months.”

I’m thinking of starting a petition to bring that back for the Euros.

The only time I visited the old Wembley was with secondary school, because my PE teacher was playing in an FA Vase Final. 

I've seen two England internationals at Ashton Gate: one an U21 game against Poland and the other a Women's Euros qualifier. I also once went to a Wales v Montenegro dead rubber Women's World Cup qualifier here in Bangor. 

So anyway, do we reckon the third place match will be better than the 0-0 Croatia and Morocco served up in the group stages? 

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I feel a bit spoiled, I went to bloody loads of England games, starting with a 1-0 win against Hungary in 1990.

I also went to every single home game from Terry Venables debut (1-0 against Denmark) all the way through to the semi final loss in 96, apart from one game which was played up north somewhere. 

I was lucky enough to get tickets through my sister playing for Brentford, but even before that it was quite easy to get tickets, especially 92-94 when England were a bit dreadful. 

I'll never forget the first game though. Men just openly pissing up against walls and stairwells.

"Where shall I go Dad?"

"Anywhere mate"

Proper stadium, proper football. 

My Brother in law has a piece chipped off the old twin towers from when they decided to knock it down.

That would mostly likely be the 3-3 draw against Sweden played at Elland Road in Leeds

I’ve only managed to get to 3 England games at any level, two senior games at Anfield (spit) and an U21 qualifier at Goodison against Portugal notable for the fact that their front line that night was Ricardo Quaresma, Helder Postiga and one Cristiano Ronaldo while the England front line was Shola Ameobi and Franny Jeffers, who had just rejoined Everton on loan 

I think the difference between a Charlton and Greaves, is they played less games. With the fall of the Soviet Union (good thing!) a lot more teams have emerged and more games played. Kane is a fantastic player but I still think he's probably 4th/5th in all time English goalscorers list. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I think the difference between a Charlton and Greaves, is they played less games. With the fall of the Soviet Union (good thing!) a lot more teams have emerged and more games played. Kane is a fantastic player but I still think he's probably 4th/5th in all time English goalscorers list. 

That's why you have goals per game ratio. Which makes you still wrong, but a different kind of wrong. If you measure it by goals, he's the best. If you measure it by goals per game (excluding <10 caps for obvious reasons) then he's only behind Greaves.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That's why you have goals per game ratio. Which makes you still wrong, but a different kind of wrong. If you measure it by goals, he's the best. If you measure it by goals per game (excluding <10 caps for obvious reasons) then he's only behind Greaves.

It's more the level of opposition. There are far more games now against weaker sides than there were back in the day. Its not Kane's fault, but the standard of international football is incredibly different than it was.