• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Not having a go here, but what does Declan Rice actually do? All I ever see him do is pass the ball backwards or sideways.

Breaks up play, dictates the tempo of the game to an extent, starts play from deep. I have no reason to be a fan of him (I constantly wind up my West Ham supporter friend by saying he's just a shit David Batty) but he's a very good player for that role. If you stick a Maddison or a Mount there instead, you're fucked. The shape is completely gone and the defence is exposed. We normally play a double pivot with him and one other (Phillips) but Southgate has been able to deploy him as the single pivot this tournament, such is the trust he has in him. 

38 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Except the part where he whipped in the cross for the winner.

His job isn't to man-mark him wherever he is on the pitch. Griezmann had chalk on his boots on the left flank for that cross, Rice shouldn't be anywhere near him. 

Rice has had a very good tournament, again. I think our entire midfield have. It's a shame yesterday Bellingham wasn't able to influence the game as much as he did for the others, but what a tournament he's had.

2 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

He was much more inexperienced back then, he may do better now

Why? It’s totally different management. He’s perfect for England because he’s been in that system for years. Club management is day to day, budgets, transfer targets. None of that applies to international management. 

12 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Its a fair point, but surely their are managers right now who have gone into jobs without that experience also? Moreso the ones who retire and go into a position early doors 

would an assistant manager have much say in those responsibilities? 

People tend not to start managerial careers at the national level. Southgate does have the experience in both but he’s more suited to national as his club record shows. It’s why Harry Redknapp would’ve made an awful national manager, without a transfer market and scouting system he had, one of his biggest assets would’ve been redundant. 

22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

People tend not to start managerial careers at the national level. Southgate does have the experience in both but he’s more suited to national as his club record shows. It’s why Harry Redknapp would’ve made an awful national manager, without a transfer market and scouting system he had, one of his biggest assets would’ve been redundant. 

Crucially, and this is where he would've fallen down, you can't really take bungs at international level. Allegedly. He allegedly took bungs. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Also McLaren was winning trophies and leagues at club level. Why was he such a shit England manager then (no need to answer Keith, we know)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

So, he didn’t then. 

Literally won a league cup. Same with Sven, had a decorated career in European Football and England were still underperforming (depending on your view) at major tournaments. Point is, saying we need a manager who is proven successful at club level is not, or hasn’t been the answer. I think whoever said being a Country level manager is completely different to club level was right and why it’s often failed. 

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Why? It’s totally different management. He’s perfect for England because he’s been in that system for years. Club management is day to day, budgets, transfer targets. None of that applies to international management. 

12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

whoever said being a Country level manager is completely different to club level was right and why it’s often failed. 

Indeed he is. 

Capello was the best they had. As Slaven Bilic said at the time, “He can slap the Englishness out of them” but even he couldn’t with that bunch of cunts. England historically don’t win because of post empire declinism, a hereditary fear of masturbation, and a Victorian sense of a divine right to rule. I don’t think the current squad has those issues though, maybe the Tory, so there is hope for them.