• Paid Members

The perfect ending. The greatest ever - Lionel Messi - finally gets a World Cup to complete a majestic career, but Kylian Mbappe still wrestles the torch from him by scoring a hat-trick in the game’s biggest showpiece and snatching the golden boot as well. 

Magic. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

I also loved how the French team, with each substitution, gradually became all black, excluding Lloris. Was almost hoping for them to win and repeat their gammon-silencing act of '98.

That said, seeing how much young talent they have, they're probably going to be terrifying next Euros and WC.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That said, seeing how much young talent they have, they're probably going to be terrifying next Euros and WC.

Who, France? Young talent? I wouldn't quite say that beyond Tchouameni and Camavinga. Mbappe will obviously be one of the best in the world for another 10 years.

Griezmann, Giroud, Benzema, Varane and Lloris are all knocking on. Dembele, Coman  Rabiot are not young. Konate, Saliba and Kounde are all young, though.

This should have been the pinnacle of this French generation and injuries did thwart them quite a bit, but really they weren't as good as their opening match suggested. Griezmann, Mbappe and Giroud were by far their standout players, the rest were not World Cup all star team contenders. 

• Paid Members

Absolutely over the moon for Messi. So, so, happy for him. Nothing to add really other than to express how heartwarmingly wholesome I found that. All the twists and turns made his eventual triumph even better. I was praying during the shootout that he wouldn't miss - as lovely as things turned out, that would have been equally as horrible. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Who, France? Young talent? I wouldn't quite say that beyond Tchouameni and Camavinga. Mbappe will obviously be one of the best in the world for another 10 years.

Griezmann, Giroud, Benzema, Varane and Lloris are all knocking on. Dembele, Coman  Rabiot are not young. Konate, Saliba and Kounde are all young, though.

This should have been the pinnacle of this French generation and injuries did thwart them quite a bit, but really they weren't as good as their opening match suggested. Griezmann, Mbappe and Giroud were by far their standout players, the rest were not World Cup all star team contenders. 

Was thinking Camavinga, Tchouameni, Thuram, Kolo Muani, as well as, obviously, Mbappe. Possibly overstated the case.

Edited by Carbomb

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Tchouameni

He was absolutely outstanding this tournament. No wonder Madrid weren't arsed about Casemiro leaving.

One thing I didn't notice during the game was Ally McCoist saying "First hat trick in a World Cup final where every one has been over the line" 🤣 What a legend.

Also, Mbappe becomes the 5th player to score in two separate WC finals. Can anyone name the other 4? Behind spoilers please and if you get all 4 without Google, well, you're a liar. :)

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, Mbappe becomes the 5th player to score in two separate WC finals. Can anyone name the other 4? Behind spoilers please and if you get all 4 without Google, well, you're a liar

Spoiler

Pele, Zidane. As for the other two...Matthaus perhaps? And one of the 1930s Italians- the only one I can name is Meazza.