• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Factotum said:

It's more the level of opposition. There are far more games now against weaker sides than there were back in the day. Its not Kane's fault, but the standard of international football is incredibly different than it was.

I don't know, I'd have to wonder about that. Sure, there are more middling European teams, but there are also quite a few more African, Asian, and Latin American teams kicking about that are a lot better than they were 30 years ago, and most of the biggies never really went away - they just have shit spells in cycles. I'd be willing to bet the overall standard is actually higher on average.

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't know, I'd have to wonder about that. Sure, there are more middling European teams, but there are also quite a few more African, Asian, and Latin American teams kicking about that are a lot better than they were 30 years ago, and most of the biggies never really went away - they just have shit spells in cycles. I'd be willing to bet the overall standard is actually higher on average.

Yeah, maybe its my regency bias about, I just notice with qualifiers the level is really poor and I'm not sure it was. Also the amount of meaningless friendlies now in comparison to say the Home Nation games where it was very competitive.

Anyway, he's a superb striker and he's in very good company that high up

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Factotum said:

It's more the level of opposition. There are far more games now against weaker sides than there were back in the day. Its not Kane's fault, but the standard of international football is incredibly different than it was.

If you want to factor in the context, the opposition are weaker but equally true is how much stronger England were when Sir Bobby and Greavsie achieved what they did. Both played in a World Cup England were actually good enough to win. And don't kid yourself there wasn't still dross to be pounded. Greaves banged in 11 goals in 5 games in 60/61 including beating Northern Ireland 5-2, Luxembourg 9-0, Wales 5-1 and Scotland 9-3. Charlton likewise scored hat tricks between 60 and 63 in games England won 9-0 against Luxembourg, 8-0 against Mexico and 8-0 against the Swiss. There may not have been as many Russian or Yugoslavian teams about and Czechoslovakia was still just the one team, but they were getting to batter the other "home nations" in three games per calendar year without fail. Four more against Norn Iron in 63 and three in 64 for Jimmy sure made up for a lack of Estonia in their qualifying group, I'd say.

• Paid Members

My fucking word, I feel like Branquey during One Night In Turin. I have no right to be this emotional, but I am. I screamed and celebrated every Argentina goal as if it were Arsenal.

Fan-fucking-tastic. The greatest footballer of our lifetime (if not all-time) finally winning the World Cup in his last attempt. No other player deserves it more. And we can finally fuck off this tired debate once and for all, end of a generation. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, cheating the Spanish government out of tax doesn't weigh as heavily on my moral compass as it probably should, so I'm going to hell no doubt. 

France were fucking awful for 80 minutes. Argentina ran the show and played some beautiful football, especially during the first half. Alexis Mac All Is Ter is going to command a massive transfer fee, especially as Brighton wisely just tied him down to a new contract. De Paul was also excellent and Di Maria turned back the clock.

That penalty woke France up like you wouldn't believe, and at 2-1 I was convinced France were winning. The momentum just swung like fuck, but they just didn't quite have the quality on the pitch (beyond Mbappe) to get it done. Thankfully. Their subs did well but if they had the quality you expect them to have (more along the lines of Coman) off the bench it could be a different story.

Lautaro Martinez is shit. Nothing during this tournament has convinced me otherwise. I reckon I could do a job at Inter given those that have succeeded there in recent years. Dembele was also rotten tonight and also for much of the tournament.