So now the draw has been made, I suppose we better have a thread just for it.

spacer.png

That's a very interesting (easy) group for England, and I'd love to see Wales (well, Bale, Davies and Rodon) make it to the big dance. 

Can England win it? They'll have to fancy their chances Garth, and perhaps the memory of losing that Euros final will be the impetus for them to go one better.

The last dance as well for Messi (bless him) and Ronaldo (cunt), so theres that as well.

I'll be hoping Cameroon go far obviously, and will be watching one of their games in a small African bar in Tooting like I did the last time they were in the WC (highly recommend trying to watch games with fans of those countries. It really makes a massive difference)

The fact that its being played in Qatar in the winter is mental, and the Premier League starts up again 8 days after the final, which will mean lots and lots of injuries you would think.

But fuck it, it's the World Cup. It's always great isn't it?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

But fuck it, it's the World Cup. It's always great isn't it?

2010 was one of the worst tournaments. A poor advert for the World Cup. 

England should get through comfortably. But that’s all been said before. They always seem to have a 0-0 against a shit team. So expect Iran to park the bus. 

Looking forward to seeing how Canada get on. 

17 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest was it?

My favourites are still 1994 (the kits innit) and 2002 as I watched England-Argentina in Cuba with a bunch of pissed Cubans who went fucking mental when Beckham scored, and it was one of the best sports watching experiences of my life.

Then they told me for a few hours after about how much they hate Argentinians. 

I didn't have the heart to tell them that I loved the Argies, as they were a good bunch of lads.

• Paid Members

My mate lives in Canada and knows because of seasonal work I'm off for the World Cup and now wants me to come over and support Canada with him and his wife in some local bars in their first world Cup in years so I'm actually excited for this tournament now. 

48 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

My mate lives in Canada and knows because of seasonal work I'm off for the World Cup and now wants me to come over and support Canada with him and his wife in some local bars in their first world Cup in years so I'm actually excited for this tournament now. 

Nice,  and you can properly cash in that friendship card when the World Cup is actually in Canada in 2026!

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nice,  and you can properly cash in that friendship card when the World Cup is actually in Canada in 2026!

This is actually the plan, he wants me out for the entire thing for that one. Not just when we expect Canada to be eliminated. At that stage his kids will be old enough they won't give me a headache every morning running round too.

The US just sneaked qualification too didn't they? a handy looking group for yourselves. If ye get to November with Kane and Rice fully fit definitely are in with a good shout anyway.

Its going to be shite having a winter world cup all the same. The only proper benefit I got from the tournament (seeing as Ireland haven't qualified in 20 years and are in no danger of doing so) was a good excuse to have pints in a beer garden on a workday. Auld Fifa couldn't even leave that for us!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

It was, but the last two have been fucking superb. Probably the two best World Cups I've watched. 1998 will always be my favourite, but I think that's nostalgia more than anything. 2014 and 2018 were boss.

18 minutes ago, DCW said:

The US just sneaked qualification too didn't they?

Kind of. USA, Mexico and Canada were pretty much certs to qualify a few games ago, USA just made it a bit difficult towards the end. I maintain that there's potentially a top team here. They have a lot of brilliant young players and this will give them a great amount of experience for when they host it by, which time most of their players will be approaching their peak. Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Adams, Weah, Dest, Richards, Aaronson. Ricardo Pepi is meant to be a talent too.

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Fucks sake, it's not coming home again, is it? I'm not sure I could take that. 

You should move to somewhere like, I dunno Germany, to get away from it all.