• Paid Members
On 4/1/2022 at 10:14 PM, Pork Pie said:

Still seems crazy that a World Cup is going to be on in December. It must be a marketing dream

Looking forward to explaining to my dad, who despises all sport, why there's football all over the telly at the same time as wall to wall Christmas adverts. Might push him over the edge. 

• 2 months later...

New Zealand vs Costa Rica is on the iplayer tonight for the last remaining spot. 

I watched Australia v Peru last night, which was dreadful.

That must be the worst Australia team I've ever seen and they bought on this dancing dickhead to go in goal for the pens.

Now, I love a bit of shithousery as much as the next man, but this guy was a grade A flaming gallah.

Did work though to be fair.

• Paid Members

Australia are pretty rotten aren't they, have been for quite a while now. It speaks volumes about the Asian teams though if they're able to progress. It really is Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the rest. I thought UAE would kick on more after their good showing in the Asia Cup.

Let's hope Costa Rica make it. A World Cup seems a better place with Bryan Ruiz in it than it would with Chris Wood.

Maybe it’s the slaves that died to build the stadiums, maybe it’s the corruption that brought the tournament to the country in the first place, could be it being staged in a country that outlaws gaying, but this World Cup seems like the pinnacle of everything that’s wrong with football. Fuck the World Cup and fuck FIFA, I’m watching Scrooged all December long.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Maybe it’s the slaves that died to build the stadiums, maybe it’s the corruption that brought the tournament to the country in the first place, could be it being staged in a country that outlaws gaying, but this World Cup seems like the pinnacle of everything that’s wrong with football. Fuck the World Cup and fuck FIFA, I’m watching Scrooged all December long.

Why I’m not watching the World Cup on ethical grounds - by wrestling fans.

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Why I’m not watching the World Cup on ethical grounds - by wrestling fans.

I’m a massive hypocrite on so many grounds, especially when it comes to football but accusing me of being a wrestling fan is beyond the pale good sir.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Brazil have announced their squad, their attacking options are pretty damn impressive: 

20221107_201617.thumb.jpg.93ce654a4bfe16551ee4b47d05f6c6ec.jpg

Full back options aren't the best but there's quality in depth in all other positions there. Half of them play in the Premier League, which in some ways makes the Brazil team seem less intriguing when you are watching them every week, but this is a team that could win it. 

• Paid Members

Anyone else flying out to Qatar?

12 of us are heading out for the first two Wales games (USA and Iran) but flying home before the England game. I didn't enjoy the England game in Lens during Euro 2016, which always turns out to be a media circus, plus a week is about our limit in terms of spending.

Qatar seems to be a nightmare accomodation wise so we're staying in Dubai and shuttling in on matchdays, which is only a 45 min flight. Reckon we've saved a grand doing it that way, plus Dubai seems to be a bit more reasonable price-wise.

Can't say that Qatar would even be my 50th choice in terms of countries to visit, but let's face it, there's a good chance I may never see Wales play in a World Cup again. (Justifying my second 'once in a lifetime' trip to the mrs given I said the same thing before Euro 2016 and also had Euro 2020 all booked in Baku before Covid hit).

On the ethical argument, the time to boycott was for the national associations a decade ago or at least before the World Cup qualifiers started. Let's face it, I'd have gone to Russia in 2018 had Wales qualified, and that is hardly a bastion of democracy.

Edited by garynysmon

2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Anyone else flying out to Qatar?

No. Mainly because 

2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Qatar seems to be a nightmare

And I wouldn’t want to give them any money or give them any patronage or be complicit in their sports washing. But hope you have a good time. 

On 4/1/2022 at 7:06 PM, SuperBacon said:

But fuck it, it's the World Cup. It's always great isn't it?

I really can't be arsed with it. It has finally dawned on me that it is genuinely and utterly mental that it's happening in less than 2 weeks time and no one gives a shit.

Contrast to the last couple of tournaments (Womens and Mens Euros) which were met with a bit of a fervour (mens one probably because it was the first post Covid) and it just seems bonkers.

I'll still probably watch a lot of it if I'm WFH but I certainly won't be rushing home for anything. 

FIFA wankers depriving us of a proper World Cup. Despicable, and who ever ends up winning domestic leagues this year will have the biggest asterisk ever next to their name. It'll be like the season never happened.

Saying that, like Keith said, I hope @garynysmonand anyone else going has a great time. Hopefully Bale will score the winner in the final.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Can I just shock you all, I’ve always liked slavery endorsing, gaying outlawing, corrupt countries. Despite what I said earlier I’ve always believed football is for everybody.

One of the Qatari ambassadors for the World Cup has just referred to homosexuality as a 'damage in the mind', just in case you're still not sure where you stand on this absolute fucking hump of a tournament. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

FIFA wankers depriving us of a proper World Cup

On this subject, look at the nerve of this cunt. Blames it all on Platini!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

To try and get into the mood, I've been watching the official films from the previous World Cups. I asked my 10yo which one we should watch first, he said 'which one was Maradona good in?'. Good lad, 1986 it is.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

To try and get into the mood, I've been watching the official films from the previous World Cups. I asked my 10yo which one we should watch first, he said 'which one was Maradona good in?'. Good lad, 1986 it is.

Is that the one narrated by Michael Caine? Absolutely amazing football film that is, with some excellent footage of not just Maradona but other greats like Hugo Sanchez and Enzo Francescoli.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, David said:

Is that the one narrated by Michael Caine? Absolutely amazing football film that is, with some excellent footage of not just Maradona but other greats like Hugo Sanchez and Enzo Francescoli.

The very same. Yep Francescoli, Hugo Sanchez, Lineker, Socrates, Platini, Rummenigge and maybe one or two more. 

The USA 94 was my favourite when I watched a few in 2018, think that one is narrated by Dennis Leary.

Edited by PunkStep