• Paid Members

Wow, Infantino's monologue today eh? He's an absolute danger. However he's very clever in what he's doing and is surely creating a bigger divide within the confederations than even Blatter did.

For somebody that demands everyone to keep politics out of football, the politicking he's doing is on another level. You're going to have UEFA, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF (not sure about the Caribbean nations though) on one side, AFC and CAF on the other more than ever. He's making sure he's getting the confeds with the larger vote base on side.

To summarise: Infantino feels gay and disabled because when he was little he was bullied for having red hair. Wow.

He's not wrong that Europeans have created an endless list of atrocities over 3,000 years (as have Asian empires too), but it's massive whataboutary to use that to excuse Qatar in the modern world. What is interesting though playing devil's advocate, would the west (as in politicians and some of the media) be as up in arms if it were equally horrific Saudi Arabia hosting this? I somewhat doubt it.Β 

Some elements would be, there's enough shit about the Saudis attempts at sportswashing as it is and I'd expect those parts of the public and media who have issues with them to make some noise. The difference is, the Saudis have generally been quite good at creating an illusion around everything and overlooking certain elements. Qatar haven't even been able to create a pleasant facade around things and are somehow making themselves look worse at every opportunity which has possibly got people around the media that would normally be indifferent taking note.

I think it’s a case of the World Cup being a much bigger event than holding one F1 race in the calendar, or other one off events. But the World Cup is the most watched globally and therefore is under much higher levels of scrutiny due to the eyeballs on it.Β 
Β 

Plus we sell the Saudis the bombs they use to massacre Yemeni children so they’re an ally. There could be an argument made that it’s a much bigger country too so the infrastructure would have been in place that wasn’t in a tiny country that’s never been in a World Cup before.Β 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There could be an argument made that it’s a much bigger country too so the infrastructure would have been in place that wasn’t in a tiny country that’s never been in a World Cup before.Β 

There absolutely could be, but nobody is really taking about this. However...

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

we sell the Saudis the bombs they use to massacre Yemeni

This. This, and the claim they are helping to combat ISIS, are the reasons why Western governments wouldn't care if Saudi Arabia were hosting it. It's all politics when it comes to the Middle East. Qatar, Iran- bad. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait- good.

• Paid Members

I wrote up a little preview of the key players from the bigger teams a week ago, some of that is now out of the window due to injuries so I've had to change it. If you're bored and are mildly interested in this weird tournament, here you go. If not, well you can suck your mum.Β 

Spoiler

Brazil
Key player: Neymar. Back to his brilliant best this season.
One to watch: Vini Jr. Well and truly lived up to the hype last season, especially in the Champions League, let's see if he will do the same here.Β 
Young star: Martinelli. Might not feature much, but this will be great experience for him.Β 

ArgentinaΒ 
Key player: Messi as usual. Also having a much better season.
One to watch: Lautaro Martinez. This is his chance to show the world why he's considered one of the best strikers in the world.
Young star: Enzo Fernandez. Deep lying midfielder has hit the ground running this season at Benfica.

France
Key player: Mbappe. Benzema might have the Balon d'or (EDIT: he's injured now anyway) but Mbappe is still the biggest danger for Les Bleus.
One to watch: Nkunku. Surely he warrants starting ahead of Griezmann? Enjoy him now before he turns to shit at Chelsea. EDIT: Fucking injuries. Tchouameni, who will have a big role to play in midfield with the absence of Pogba and Kante
Young star: Camavinga. The heir apparent to Kroos at Real and Pogba for France.

Spain
Key player: Pedri. Has very quickly gone from young prospect to key player for Spain and Barca.
One to watch: Nico Williams (no, not that one). Chose Spain over Ghana unlike his brother and could be a real threat on the left wing.Β 
Young star: Gavi. An even more meteoric rise than Pedri, he will be a key part of Spain's Barca flavoured midfield.Β 

GermanyΒ 
Key player: Not really a team that has a key player, but if he starts- Gundogan. In the post-Kroos era he can pull the strings in midfield.
One to watch: Jamal Musiala. Is in fine form for Bayern, playing in the hole.
Young star: So many to pick from? Going with Moukoko- who turns 18 on the day the tournament begins. Looks a frightening prospect for Dortmund.Β 

EnglandΒ 
Key player: kane
One to watch: Foden. He's been key for City this season and he can really make a massive name for himself here.
Young star: Bellingham. Could be the 'one to watch' as well, incredibly mature for a 19yo.

NetherlandsΒ 
Key player: De Jong. Treated like shit by his club and - even worse - almost coerced into joining United. Van Gaal appreciates how much of a talent he is.Β 
One to watch: Cody Gakpo. Linked with Leeds in the summer, I don't think he ever will again after the season he's having with PSV.
Young star: Xavi Simons. Another cracking player PSG let slip through their fingers.

PortugalΒ 
Key player: Rona...haha yeah right. Bernardo Silva. If he drops into midfield as he has been for City, he can really help control games.
One to watch: Β Cancelo. So instrumental for City, it'll be interesting to see if he has the same effect for Ronaldo FC.
Young player: Goncalo Ramos. Having a good season with Benfica so far, scoring 7 in 10 league appearances.Β 

USMNT (I'm sorry)
Key player: Pulisic. Not the one that plays for Chelsea, because the one that plays for the States actually looks good.Β 
One to watch: Jesus Ferreira. Has been on fire this year for club and country.
Young player: Loads! Shame Pepi didn't make it, so I'll go with Gio Reyna. Another young gem unearthed by Dortmund.Β 

BelgiumΒ 
Key player: De Bruyne. Best player in the world.Β 
One to watch: De Ketelaere. Young attacking midfielder has shown his versatility for club and country.Β 
Young star: Doku. Started the Euros quarter finals VS Italy last year and looks a very good prospect.Β 

SenegalΒ 
Key player: Mane. So instrumental to this side, massive in those two key matches against Egypt. EDIT: Fucking injuries. Koulibaly in that case, brings stability to the back line.Β 
One to watch: Ismaila Sarr. Criminal that for the second time in his career, he's playing in the Championship. Would add something to any team in the big five leagues.
Young star: Bamba Dieng. Did well for Marseille last season, not featured as much this season though.Β 

CroatiaΒ 
Key player: Luka 'Benjamin Button' Modric. Still one of the best.Β 
One to watch: Lovro Majer. One of many decent Rennes talents at the World Cup, Majer will be Croatia's creative output for years to come.Β 
Young player: Gvardiol. Not sure if he'll start ahead of the best defender in the world (Lovren) or Vida, but he should.Β 

UruguayΒ 
Key player: Fedi Valverde. Shocked he wasn't picked for the last World Cup and he's become one of Real Madrid's key players recently.Β 
One to watch: Araujo, assuming he's fit to play. With Godin ageing, he has come along at the right time to partner Gimenez.
Young star: Pellistri. Hasn't kicked a ball for United yet but has 7 appearances for Uruguay this year.Β 
Β 

Others to watch out for: Kudus (Ghana), Almoez Ali (Qatar), Kamada (Japan).

Β 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm not a fan of football at all but I got told tonight that apparently it's up too 30 years in prison if you get caught with drugs in Qatar.

Β 

Have they fucking ever met half the fans that will be paying too get over there for the tournament to support England.

The prisons will be full by the second gameΒ 

Midnight Express missed out on the remake trend a few years back. Relocate to a Middle Eastern held Football tournament and off you go

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I said after the Euros final that England would win the World Cup but I don't think they will be able to handle the conditions. I think an outsider might win it, like Mexico, although that would involve them knocking Poland out at the group stage and I can't have that. If a big team is winning it, I'm going Argentina.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

23 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Samuel Eto’o is on the best wind-up ever.

EF39A797-7DFC-48F0-B416-804F675647D8.thumb.jpeg.086d3e3bc24afaafe1fe0a761a45a06d.jpeg

I’m hoping to read on Teletext that Argentina have won it and I hope Wales beat England with the most horrendously blatant offside or handball that sends the fans into a crippling meltdown.

This is the predictions of a man who has never, ever seen Nkoudou or Choupo-Moting play football.

Edit: Forget what I said, Choupo-Moting has 6 in 10 in the league and 3 in 4 in the Champions League this season. It's gonna be the Lions year!!!

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I said after the Euros final that England would win the World Cup

I think you were just getting carried away with your Anglo patriotismΒ 

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

like Mexico

They're really shit at the moment though, aren't they? The Mexican fans are making out that this is the worst squad they've had since pre-86. Struggled in qualification, Jimenez is pretty much a broken man and Corona will miss the tournament through injury. Chucky Lozano has his work cut out to try and drag them through the group stages. But the conditions will definitely favour certain teams.

Β 

My predictions to my friends earlier today:

Winners: Brazil
Top scorer: Lautaro MartinezΒ 
Best player: Vini Jr
Best young player: Pedri
Biggest flop (team): France
Biggest flop (player): Ronaldo
Surprise package: EcuadorΒ 

Edited by PunkStep
Fuck you all

• Paid Members