• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Goal was lovely though, but I expected them to walk it after that went in.

They really should have. Perhaps having someone with a bit more impetus like Aaronson in midfield would've helped, he's usually bags full of energy for Leeds. When they made their triple change, bringing on Gio Reyna might have helped against a tired Welsh defence too.

Netherlands VS Senegal was shite. The Dutch have a few brilliant players, a few useful ones, some right dross and their depth is either pretty raw or crap. Vincent Janssen as their starting striker doesn't really bode well. Can't see anyone from Group A getting far.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Not to harp on about an England win that will largely be remembered as inconsequential in the big picture but the scorers got me thinking about pub quiz questions - I wonder when was the time a team scored six at a World Cup and all the scorers were scoring at a World Cup for the first time?

Haven't been enthused about the tournament at all in the buildup, with all the issues surrounding it. Plus it's been -5 and snowing here, so doesn't exactly bring memories of tournaments past flooding back. 

However, after the first proper day of the tournament, I must confess that the World Cup Fever is creeping in. England game was a very enjoyable experience, I only got to half-watch the surly Netherlands/Senegal game and I thought the second half of USA/Wales was pretty entertaining. 

It's still farcical and problematic and all that, but I'm enjoying the football. It's comforting to know there's a match to watch at the end of a long and tiring day, too.

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Not to harp on about an England win that will largely be remembered as inconsequential in the big picture but the scorers got me thinking about pub quiz questions - I wonder when was the time a team scored six at a World Cup and all the scorers were scoring at a World Cup for the first time?

I liked the “Saka has more World Cup goals than Rooney after just one game” stat. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

I wonder when was the time a team scored six at a World Cup and all the scorers were scoring at a World Cup for the first time?

Not interested in football but liking facts I checked and, while a bit of a cheat, 1930 had two 6 - 1 wins in the semis, so it as a first it was checked off in the first tournament. 

In between might take some time. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I liked the “Saka has more World Cup goals than Rooney after just one game” stat. 

Fuck, I can't believe I missed that. Maybe I'm racist without realizing it.

A good Southgate one to catch people out with is "True or false - when England made the World Cup semi final in 2018, they lost as many games as they won?" Sounds ridiculous, but if you break it down... it's true.

• Paid Members

That's on Argentina for some really, really awful timing of their runs in the first half. Can't really credit Saudi Arabia for playing a decent offside trap for the disallowed Messi and 2nd Martinez goals, they looked well offside live. The first Martinez one looked on for me though, they didn't show a replay oddly enough (unless they did at half time, which I missed).

Great defending from Saudi Arabia after the took the lead though. Real backs to the wall stuff.

52 minutes ago, air_raid said:

A good Southgate one to catch people out with is "True or false - when England made the World Cup semi final in 2018, they lost as many games as they won?" Sounds ridiculous, but if you break it down... it's true.

And one to put the 'we were much better in Italia 90' lot to bed- England won three times as many games in normal time in 2018 than they did in 1990 and won more games overall. Tunisia, Panama and Sweden (plus Colombia on pens) VS Egypt (plus Cameroon and Belgium AET). 

Edited by PunkStep

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

And one to put the 'we were much better in Italia 90' lot to bed- England won three times as many games in normal time in 2018 than they did in 1990 and won more games overall. Tunisia, Panama and Sweden (plus Colombia on pens) VS Egypt (plus Cameroon and Belgium AET). 

A healthy array of top quality opposition for any world beaters, decades apart.

Baffles me (it doesn’t) that people can’t accept a fortunate draw can lead the way for bang average teams getting far in a tournament.