• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, air_raid said:

With Bale gracing a World Cup and scoring and Lewandowski finally scoring in a World Cup today, along with it probably being the last World Cup for Messi and definitely for Ronaldo, it’s feeling like a real “end of chapter” for this generation of stars.

Thiago Silva will still be good for Bisonopolis 2030 though. The Last Outlaw.

• Paid Members

I was thinking this the other day, a long list of generational greats that are probably playing in their final World Cup. Perhaps Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Thiago Silva, Dani Alves, Lewandowski, Neuer, Busquets, Di Maria, Lloris, Pepe, Bale, Giroud, Hazard, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Muller, Bryan Ruiz.

I know every year will feature loads of players in their final WC, but this seems like an end of an era. 2006 felt quite similar in some respects. 

• Paid Members

Nice to see Japan following up on their comeback victory against Germany by handing the Costa Ricans a lifeline. I wouldn't be surprised if Germany managed to beat Spain tonight to create something that approaches an exciting final day for this group, or at least one with interesting possibilities. 

13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Nice to see Japan following up on their comeback victory against Germany by handing the Costa Ricans a lifeline. I wouldn't be surprised if Germany managed to beat Spain tonight to create something that approaches an exciting final day for this group, or at least one with interesting possibilities. 

Can easily see Germany losing to Spain but beat Costa Rica anyway and got through on GD with Japan losing to Spain.

If Germany avoid a big defeat tonight then I'd still say they are the favourites to qualify in 2nd if they just need a 2 goal swing between themselves and Japan in the final group matches

Unless we end up with shenanigans in the last 30 mins of Japan and Spain where word has gotten thorugh Germany are winning and both teams knowing a draw will send both through just play keep ball something we saw in 2002 with Mexico and I want to say Italy? Where the last mins were just passing between the back four with very little intent as both teams knew they were heading through if things remained as they were.

• Paid Members

They could just play for a draw anyway if need be as Japan would still have a better goal difference than Costa Rica. Loads of changes to the Spain side, especially if they do beat Germany tonight. 

On 11/26/2022 at 12:02 PM, PunkStep said:

Nobody steamrollers the group stages and then goes on to win the tournament anyway, do they? I can't recall the last time that happened.

Closest thing to that I can recall is West Germany at Italia 90.

Smashed Yugoslavia 4-1, and the UAE 5-1, but drew 1-1 with Colombia in their final group game, but they did have that stench of "these lads are going all the way" from the start if I recall correctly.

Lothar Matthäus was absolutely immense, seemingly scoring piledriver after piledriver, but amazing wasn't awarded player of the tournament. 

Brazil steamrolled to the 2002 World Cup from what I remember

Had an easy group mind (Costa Rica, China and Turkey) which they won easily winning every game though Turkey ran them close in that game

Cant recall who they beat in the 2nd round (Belgium? I Seem to remember them as potential opponents for England in a QF at some point so might have been that tournament) then obviously beat England and then Turkey again before Beating a poor Germany side who had somehow made it to the Final.

Dont think anyone has won every game to win the tournament since then.

3 hours ago, David said:

Closest thing to that I can recall is West Germany at Italia 90.

Smashed Yugoslavia 4-1, and the UAE 5-1, but drew 1-1 with Colombia in their final group game, but they did have that stench of "these lads are going all the way" from the start if I recall correctly.

Lothar Matthäus was absolutely immense, seemingly scoring piledriver after piledriver, but amazing wasn't awarded player of the tournament. 

Very nearly didn't qualify either!!! Wales had a great chance in the final game which, if scored, would've seen Germany not qualify.

Matthaus was the best player in the world at the time. Incredible that he didn't win that.

• Paid Members

Just realised it's going to come down to a crunch game between Switzerland and Serbia to qualify for the next round (although Cameroon are still in with a chance). That's going to be a tasty affair with some yellow cards. Xhaka, an ethnic Albanian like many Swiss, is either going to play out of his skin to win or get a red card after stomping somebody on a Serbian player's head.

12 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Just realised it's going to come down to a crunch game between Switzerland and Serbia to qualify for the next round (although Cameroon are still in with a chance). That's going to be a tasty affair with some yellow cards. Xhaka, an ethnic Albanian like many Swiss, is either going to play out of his skin to win or get a red card after stomping somebody on a Serbian player's head.

And it could come down to a Ghana vs Uruguay shoot out as well!!! 

• Paid Members
On 11/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, PunkStep said:

I was thinking this the other day, a long list of generational greats that are probably playing in their final World Cup. Perhaps Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Thiago Silva, Dani Alves, Lewandowski, Neuer, Busquets, Di Maria, Lloris, Pepe, Bale, Giroud, Hazard, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Muller, Bryan Ruiz.

Suarez? This is it for him too.