• Paid Members
On 11/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, air_raid said:

Not to harp on about an England win that will largely be remembered as inconsequential in the big picture but the scorers got me thinking about pub quiz questions - I wonder when was the time a team scored six at a World Cup and all the scorers were scoring at a World Cup for the first time?

Nearly had one for this when recalling Germany beating Saudi Arabia 8-0 in 2002 - 7 of their 8 goals were scored by players scoring their first goals at World Cups, but Oliver Bierhoff ruins it, and I'm definitely looking for "six or more" where ALL scorers are breaking their duck.

• Paid Members

What a result that was. I told myself I wasn't going to bother with the World Cup this year, then realised my beloved Japan are playing today. I jokily translated "It's coming home" into Japanese and sent it to my Scottish friend, which got a giggle out of him. 

Anyway, interesting tournament so far. Some unexpected results, but unless there's something seriously rotten going on I'm still not anticipating an all Asian teams final or anything just yet. Hell I still don't think Japan will make it out of the group unless Spain beat Germany as well. 

• Paid Members
On 11/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, air_raid said:

Not to harp on about an England win that will largely be remembered as inconsequential in the big picture but the scorers got me thinking about pub quiz questions - I wonder when was the time a team scored six at a World Cup and all the scorers were scoring at a World Cup for the first time?

Spain just went one better!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

unless Spain beat Germany as well. 

Yeah...I think that's a fairly safe bet based on what we've seen today!

Germany must be absolutely shitting themselves, the prospect of a consecutive group stage exit is very real. 

Really looking forward to Belgium VS Canada tonight. Shame about the first game today and the two really shite games during the afternoon yesterday. All of the other games over the past two days have been very good. 

• Paid Members

Real shame that, Canada more than deserved something from that game. A real exciting attacking performance, if only they could finish! Some of the passes were a tad too heavy. This is what happens when you don't take your chances. They look a lot better than USMNT.

Batshuayi, goal aside, was fucking pants. An in-form Lukaku would've have had a hat trick in this game. Going by this performance, Belgium will be taken apart by one of the stronger teams. 

It has been a very enjoyable tournament so far (as far as the onfield stuff goes). The Japan game/result was great. I missed most of the Spain game, but seems like they put their names in the hat after not being fancied as potential winners (at least that I've seen). 

There have been a couple of dud games, but that's to be expected. Quality has been a lot higher than South Africa 2010 anyway, which I seem to recall having plenty of bores, especially in the group stages. 

Looking forward to today's matches, as there's some big teams playing. Feels like there could be another upset on the cards somewhere, too. 

• Paid Members

I think Cameroon vs Switzerland will be a massive bore but the other three should be quite good.

After Germany and Argentina lost, I was getting increasingly worried that England's chances were improving. Spain buoyed me, though, by being amazingly good. Need strong showings from Uruguay and Brazil today to further calm anxieties.