• Paid Members

All that matters is Benjamin White, the best footballer in the Premier League so far this season that isn't called Granit, has made the squad. As he should do. 

In other squad news, apparently Mario Gotze still plays football and he's somehow made the Germany squad! They have also picked the two young Dortmund forwards, Adeyemi and Moukoko. Really hope they get some minutes. 

Belgium's squad seems like it hasn't changed for 20 years.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Englands midfield options are so desperate, I'm surprised Southgate didn't pick James Milner.

Henderson and Gallagher? Bloody hell.

Clearly Wales have a squad depth thinner than my hairline, but can’t say I’m shitting myself at the thought of facing that.

Pleased for Pickford and Coady but I’m amazed that Tarkowski hasn’t been given the nod given Maguire’s tendencies to give goals away

I’d imagine Wilson had only got in because of the betting row with Toney otherwise the Brentford man would have gone, not that it’ll matter as Kane will start every game and Rashford will be the likely back up

Kalvin Phillips going is the biggest surprise for me given he’s only played 54 minutes all season for City because of injury

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Kalvin Phillips going is the biggest surprise for me given he’s only played 54 minutes all season for City because of injury

That'll be because there are no other decent defensive midfield options as backup for Rice.

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Clearly Wales have a squad depth thinner than my hairline, but can’t say I’m shitting myself at the thought of facing that.

You won't face that, you'll be facing one of Europe's in-form midfielders in Jude Bellingham instead. 

11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

All that matters is Benjamin White, the best footballer in the Premier League so far this season that isn't called Granit or Miggy, has made the squad. As he should do. 

Excited to see what Ben White can do, if he gets the chance. From what I've seen when watching Arsenal he's been more of a right back than a central defender so will be interesting to see what happens if he gets the chance to play in a back 3 with 2 from Dier, Maguire or Coady LOLZ~!

What's with all the love for Tomori, I didn't realise that most of the world watches so much Italian football, specifically every single Milan game. I've seen him twice this season and he was terrible both times, suppose will get another look in Feb when he'll make me eat my words after pocketing Kane and Son.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Excited to see what Ben White can do, if he gets the chance. From what I've seen when watching Arsenal he's been more of a right back than a central defender so will be interesting to see what happens if he gets the chance to play in a back 3 with 2 from Dier, Maguire or Coady LOLZ~!

He played as a centre back all of last season, but he often tucks into a back three as a right back for Arsenal before switching back out wide or working as a defacto extra midfielder on the right. White is really tactically adept and a stupidly hard worker. He can also play as a DM, not that he has much for Arsenal, but having that also means he's a great utility player to have. 

I can't believe his inclusion on current form was even a question, much as I hope England crash out in the early stages and save wear and tear on himself and Saka. 

• Paid Members

Another thing with White is his brilliant overlapping with Saka on the right flank. More often than not it's a decoy run, taking a defender with him which gives Saka and Odegaard space. But when he does have the ball near the byline, he's also good. He will be well suited to a back three, which is where he played at Brighton (and was one of the main reservations Arsenal fans had when we signed him).

I don't think he'll play at all, barring an injury crisis. Unless of course England have already topped the group after two games (which I doubt), then he'll have a run-out in the final group stage game probably.

• Paid Members

I'm not that excited at all about it this year. I think it's probably because the World Cup usually fills a void in the summer. The football season ended, and you didn't have to wait 8 weeks until football was back. Plus, lots already happens with the build up to Christmas, so if anything this year is a hindrance. Add to that all the stuff surrounding it being in Qatar.

I'll still watch every game though.

• Paid Members

I don't get excited for a World Cup until it actually begins. For the last few instalments of major tournaments I haven't given much of a toss about them in the build-up - but the fever of it all usually sweeps me up when it's on. To be honest that says more about me than anything to do with the footie - I'm exactly the same for things like holidays and Christmas - I don't properly get into the spirit of it all until they actually arrive, usually because I'm running around like a headless chicken beforehand sorting out last minute presents, packing etc. Also it's probably more of an age thing - nothing can possibly be as brilliant as your first World Cup, can it? 

The big difference with this one is not venturing out as much to the pubs and beer gardens to watch the games - sometimes the memories of those gatherings with your chums are more fun than the games themselves. 

Lovely (and sad) documentary about the 1990 Cameroon team on the iplayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0dcwz86/green-lions-cameroon-90

Sadly, the latest crop aren't all that cop, and with a group of Brazil, Serbia and Switzerland I can't see them going further than the first stages.

I'll always root for them though, despite the new kits being shit.

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, PunkStep said:

All that matters is Benjamin White, the best footballer in the Premier League so far this season that isn't called Granit, has made the squad. As he should do. 

In other squad news, apparently Mario Gotze still plays football and he's somehow made the Germany squad! They have also picked the two young Dortmund forwards, Adeyemi and Moukoko. Really hope they get some minutes. 

Belgium's squad seems like it hasn't changed for 20 years.

I'm pretty sure the Belgian system is to gradually introduce the younger sibling/cousin/a similarly named player to an existing squad member, and then phase the elder one out in the hopes that people don't notice. They'll get them all wearing lucha masks next and passing the gimmick names down.