• Paid Members

Platini was thrown into the top 5 discussion during the 80s, even though the likes of Tigana and Giresse were just as good for France and aren't given a fraction of the recognition. Zidane quickly made people realise that Platini wasn't as good as people claimed, even if he lacked consistency himself. 

Also, Platini is a massive cunt so I'm all for talk of him not being one of the best of all-time.

Anyway, away from my mental shouts of GOATs, what drama in that Argentina Holland game! Really bad tempered as well, we love to see it. Erik Lamela would've adored that match.

Argentina completely lost their heads didn't they towards the end of normal time, but Martinez was the hero in the end. Some top saves in that shootout.

• Awards Moderator
37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I genuinely do. I'm not saying he would get straight in, but hes definitely up there to discuss for me.

Football, especially watching football, is very subjective, and for me he is up there. I have got more joy watching him than anyone I can remember. I love watching him.

Maradona, Hoddle, Gazza, Lamela, Modric. 

Messi, Maradona, Cruyff, Pele, Zidane, Fat Ronaldo, Best, Southall, Ball, Romario, Beckenbauer, Ronaldinho, Souness, Young, Shearer, Maldini, Dalglish and I’m just naming these off the top of my head!

Again, not dismissing your boy, but he’s not in the conversation.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Watching Netherlands play like Burnley towards the end of 90 mins was a bit depressing, but hey it worked. And my what an ingenious free kick- completely took Argentina unaware. Emi Martinez did well although I was hoping for some shithouse talking from him to the penalty takers.

• Paid Members

A crying shame that the Dutch free-kick will now be forgotten, but what a genius move that was. The Argentine shithousing was next level though. 

Apart from that, I haven't seen Wes Hoolahan mentioned once in this conversation about the all-time greats and it's quite upsetting. 

Just to recap, Modric has been integral to sides that have won 5 Champions Leagues along with La Ligas, domestic cups, and Club World Cups and has been a part of a Croatia team that have got to the World Cup final and the World Cup semis this year (at least). He's still smashing it now at 37 years old. I think he's in the discussion.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

Delighted Brazil went out. Mainly because the lad in our office who organised the sweep (remotely) gave himself Brazil. Literally used “my sister picked them out” as his proof that he didn’t rig it. Git.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Every team since the dawn of time, has lumped balls forward to target men chasing a last minute goal. Why should Holland be any different? 

It shouldn't, hence why I said it worked. I enjoy watching Netherlands play attractive football, but sadly you don't tend to see that much these days beyond De Jong twisting and turning (and Klaasen to a lesser extent). 

37 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It shouldn't, hence why I said it worked. I enjoy watching Netherlands play attractive football, but sadly you don't tend to see that much these days beyond De Jong twisting and turning (and Klaasen to a lesser extent). 

I'll assume you mean Frenkie and not Luuk.

So to England-France. Now, I'm not normally a patriotic man, but I've gone full Farage this morning. Waterloo on repeat, Agincourt written in blood across my chest, smashing up baguettes in the Co-op.

I fully expect the kids to grass on to me to their Mum that I used the phrase "French cunt" 400 times in 90 minutes.

Going to pens though. That much is sure.