Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

Might be a bit of a niche one but George Perez, one of the most influential comic book artists of the last 50 years passed away this week. He probably did his most famous work for DC in the 80's where his run on Teen Titans with Marv Wolfman is still heralded as a high watermark run in super hero comics and is the basis for the glut of Teen Titans/Titans shows that have come out in the last 20 years. His most iconic work is probably Crisis on Infinite Earth's, which for good and bad pretty much shaped main stream comics to this day. Perez's art is brilliant in it, clean but detailed, dense but distinct. The cover he did of anguished Superman cradling the fallen body of Supergirl is a masterpiece of comics art.

He was also a huge advocate for creator's rights in the comics industry, a murky as fuck field.

9 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Might be a bit of a niche one but George Perez, one of the most influential comic book artists of the last 50 years passed away this week. He probably did his most famous work for DC in the 80's where his run on Teen Titans with Marv Wolfman is still heralded as a high watermark run in super hero comics and is the basis for the glut of Teen Titans/Titans shows that have come out in the last 20 years. His most iconic work is probably Crisis on Infinite Earth's, which for good and bad pretty much shaped main stream comics to this day. Perez's art is brilliant in it, clean but detailed, dense but distinct. The cover he did of anguished Superman cradling the fallen body of Supergirl is a masterpiece of comics art.

He was also a huge advocate for creator's rights in the comics industry, a murky as fuck field.

Ah, I knew he was in a bad way but that's still really sad.

Have you seen the tribute art work that DC have put out recently? It's very nice.

Jesus Christ. I can’t even get my head around the pain he must be in. They say no parent should have to bury their child, but to have to do it twice is incomprehensible.

Also just announced is that DR Congo international Jody Lukoki, who started his career at Ajax as well as playing in Bulgaria and Turkey, has passed away at just 29 years of age 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/61381261

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

That's his second son in seven years. What an absolute tragedy for him.

Aye. I’m a Nick Cave fanboy and I really feel for the family. Jethro was a damaged guy/piece of shit with loads of issues. He was out on bail after beating up his mum. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Jethro had a seriously fucked up time of it for years, a lot of mental health and drug problems, so it's sadly not a huge shock, but I can't even imagine what Nick Cave and his family are going through, however estranged they were.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, Jethro had a seriously fucked up time of it for years, a lot of mental health and drug problems, so it's sadly not a huge shock, but I can't even imagine what Nick Cave and his family are going through, however estranged they were.

They had reconnected and had a good relationship apparently. They hadn’t initially met until Jethro was something like 7 or 8. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They had reconnected and had a good relationship apparently. They hadn’t initially met until Jethro was something like 7 or 8. 

I thought there was a bit of a falling out a few years ago, but might be wrong, and it might have never amounted to much. I had a friend who was pretty obsessed with Jethro when he was doing a lot of modelling, so would see the odd news story about him, and I'm sure there was an interview where he was slagging Nick off a bit, but it may not have been as big a deal as it was made to appear at the time.