The 2022 strip out Triple H's vision thread

garynysmon

• Awards Moderator
Just now, Mr.Showtime said:

Did that really happen? I can't recall that at all!

Moving NXT to 2 hours did it for me. I was happily watching it every week before that.

There was an episode that was just Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn - that might be the one jazzy's thinking of.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Was Naka Vs Zayn at a Takeover? Could be where I made the confusion. 

That you don’t recall watching that match and that Takeover, where you watched it and who you watched it with, wounds me deeply.

You watched War Games 92 the same day….

• Paid Members

I remember watching it with you ahead of that Mania 30. I also remember us sneaking War Games 92 on, I just thought it was an episode of NXT rather than a Takeover, possibly because we only watched that match. 

• Paid Members

Thinking more about this, I might agree with Vince a bit here. As great as some of these people are, it's weird that a developmental with millions behind it and some of the best minds in the business involved hasn't actually produced that many top stars for the past 5 years. I imagine the reasons are more structural than due to specific people but I can see why they would want to wipe the slate.

• Paid Members

NXT was a failure at what it was supposed to do.

The whole point of a WWE developmental system was that it was to take wrestlers off the independent circuit and train them into performing in a more mainstream style and environment. What HHH did was take wrestlers off the independent circuit and have them wrestle in exactly the same style, doing the same interminable length matches and spots they could have been doing in ROH and PWG and so on. It was ultimately completely pointless. I'm sure the Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens matches were great - but they'd already done them before. It did absolutely nothing with almost everyone it signed. What about Nakamura? His style and image didn't change at all between Japan and Smackdown and people wonder why he hasn't amounted to much.

So then this lot get thrown on TV and people wonder why they're struggling to get audiences interested in them. Because NXT had failed to prepare them for that environment. That fault has to fall on HHH's shoulders. The new NXT is, at least, closer in style and presentation to their main shows and will be a better preparation for anyone that's called up to Raw or Smackdown. For the WWE product, whether you like it or not, it is absolutely the right move. The barricade slappers have got AEW now as well as the ton of indies out there where HHH's NXT 'style' is the norm. I don't understand what the problem is.

16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So then this lot get thrown on TV and people wonder why they're struggling to get audiences interested in them. 

That's literally what happened with a lot of the call ups though. They got "thrown on TV" with no hype. No build up. No introductions. Just a "well our audience must known who they are from NXT" and thrown out there like a "big deal" without any reason why. And sure, maybe you could argue that they shouldn't need that to succeed if they're really that good, but why give them a handicap before they even start on the main roster? Why not inform your RAW/Smackdown audience/s who these people are? What have they done before? Why are they the next big things? They hardly ever did it.

I don't think that every indie star needed to come in and be rebranded and remoulded and completely changed. Sure, you can take a flippy guy like AJ Styles out of TNA and give him experience worldwide and turn him into a much better well rounded guy and then he evolves a little more to WWE style once he gets there. That to me is a perfect evolution and a great example of ironing out the unnecessary risks and focusing on the best parts. Although to be fair most of that did happen before WWE. but you get my point.

No one needed to reinvent the wheel. Vince just needed to put a little support behind them. He's fucked around with too many of the call ups and either not bothered to use them or used them in terrible ways and not realised what made them so successful in the first place. There's a happy middle ground where Vince still gets to tweak a few bits but all too often he's far too stubborn and doesn't want people to succeed as they have before.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's literally what happened with a lot of the call ups though. They got "thrown on TV" with no hype. No build up. No introductions. Just a "well our audience must known who they are from NXT" and thrown out there like a "big deal" without any reason why.

I didn't say that wasn't an issue though? I'm saying that NXT didn't do its part in preparing performers. And it didn't.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I didn't say that wasn't an issue though? I'm saying that NXT didn't do its part in preparing performers. And it didn't.

In the eyes of people like Gargano the main brand did all the preparation that was necessary.

4 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

How is HHH’s health actually ?

Has he been pictured recently ? 

There was video a few weeks back on Twitter where the main suits wandered around a building site [new WWE Towers?] with helmets way too small for just about everyone - almost Kurt Angle cowboy hat proportions. Trips looked like he'd lost a fair amount of weight and didn't look too thrilled to be there.