The 2022 strip out Triple H's vision thread

garynysmon

On 1/7/2022 at 5:34 PM, LaGoosh said:

Regardless of WWE's current inability to make stars you have to consider that the fans judge of success is no doubt much different than Vince McMahon's and Bruce Pritchard's. My guess is that Vince wants the next John Cena. That's really all he's looking for. A strong upper card of over talents has never really been his interest or booking philosophy. He wants a top babyface to build the entire company around, the rest is all basically filler. OVW had Cena, Orton, Batista and Brock Lesnar. FCW had Roman Reigns. NXT hasn't had anyone who could realistically meet Vince's criteria for a top guy, regardless of how shit we all think the booking is. Some of you might say Keith Lee fit that bill but to Vince he's too old, too fat and not handsome enough. Drew McIntyre perhaps comes closest but he isn't All American and isn't charismatic enough to draw people in. I think you basically just have to look at NXT 2.0 as the hunt for John Cena 2.0. That's all Vince wants.

I think this is spot on really. Ā As much as some of us enjoyed the super-indy NXT brand, it clearly wasn't producing what Vince and his braintrust wanted. Ā Sure, the guys arrived knowing where the hard cam was, how to read out a promo and so on but the style they wrestled wasn't going to work on the main brand where they might well end up in 5 minute matches on PPV. Ā If you think about who they actually seemed to like, it was big rangy guys like Baron Corbin. Ā Someone who's brilliant at character like Sammy Zayn is also useful, but clearly there's no money in Riccochet, Apollo Crews, Undisputed Era, Aleister Black etc - not for WWE's business market and audience. Ā AEW is a very different niche and I think they'll do better there. Ā As has been said before, HHH has been running developmental for AEW, not WWE.

What's been a bit surprising about NXT 2.0 is that Hunter was sitting on a lot of big hulky bastards - guys that immediately look a bit more like what Vince might like. Ā I dunno if he's John Cena 2.0 but Bron Brekker might be Lesnar 2.0 for Vince, and he'll take that I imagine.

Ā 

WWE is TikTok, weā€™re all wondering where all the famous people went because we donā€™t know a single person on Iā€™m A Celebrity or watch Love Island.Ā 
Ā 

Business has changed, weā€™ve been left behind. AEW is Radio 2 and suits us old farts much more than the tunes you canā€™t whistle that all sound the same thatā€™s on Radio 1.Ā 

Edited by Keith Houchen

We can all talk about what ā€œvince wantsā€, but itā€™s also what the public wants from the times wwe/f has crept the most into pop culture. It might be lower in match quality, but itā€™s what most people want to see. Ā Aew needs more billy gunn sized lads as well.Ā 

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

WWE is TikTok, weā€™re all wondering where all the famous people went because we donā€™t know a single person on Iā€™m A Celebrity or watch Love Island.Ā 

You keep saying this, but I donā€™t ever see any actual evidence for it. Ratings are skewed towards the oldest generation weā€™ve ever seen, and that includes NXT ā€˜2.0ā€™ (which we all know is really 3.0 as theyā€™re discounting the best NXT with Husky Harris carrying barrels in the glory days). Their YouTube videos fluctuate wildly. Who is this young audience youā€™re so confident theyā€™re reaching, and where are they reaching them? Iā€™m genuinely curious as to what makes you so sure thatā€™s what is happening.

• Paid Members

WWE is for kids the days, clear as the nose on your face. When their viewing figures are people in their 40's, surely that suggests families with kids and long time viewers who grew up with the shows? I'm not fully up to speed with how the ratings work in terms of demos, but wouldn't they be registered against the home owner, rather than the age of the actual eyeballs looking at the screen?Ā 

• Paid Members

Whether they are over with the kids or not is a different arguement, but they certainly are catered to the kids. My little lad watched countless hours of Ryan's World on YouTube and pretty much every advert before is a WWE one with Rey Mysterio or Big E peddling the latest merch.Ā 

My arguement is with the demos, as I said, I'm not entirely knowledgeable of the inner workings of it, but how does a ratings company know it's a child watching the wrestling if they are watching it on the main TV in a house owned by their parents? With YouTube I suppose it's a lot simpler with having child's accounts etc.Ā 

How do the 'demos' know which person in that household is watching? When I was a kid, the only place I could watch wrestling was at my nans house. Obviously there is some science behind it, but to me and I presume countless others, it doesn't make much sense.

9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Whether they are over with the kids or not is a different arguement, but they certainly are catered to the kids. My little lad watched countless hours of Ryan's World on YouTube and pretty much every advert before is a WWE one with Rey Mysterio or Big E peddling the latest merch.Ā 

My arguement is with the demos, as I said, I'm not entirely knowledgeable of the inner workings of it, but how does a ratings company know it's a child watching the wrestling if they are watching it on the main TV in a house owned by their parents? With YouTube I suppose it's a lot simpler with having child's accounts etc.Ā 

How do the 'demos' know which person in that household is watching? When I was a kid, the only place I could watch wrestling was at my nans house. Obviously there is some science behind it, but to me and I presume countless others, it doesn't make much sense.

Remember, reported TV ratings and demo information are always just highly probabilistic statistical guesses.

In the US, Nielsen have 20,000 homes (in the UK, Barb use about 5,000) who have elected to have their viewing habits meticulously studied.

The houses are deliberately selected to represent the wider publics demographic make-up.

The registered houses are monitored for what theyā€™re watching, whoā€™s watching and for how long. The sample includes families etc.

Based on that data theyā€™ll extrapolate that out and guess how many people are watching across the country, how many are children etc etcā€¦

46 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Whether they are over with the kids or not is a different argument, but they certainly are catered to the kids.

Oh, I think that certainly has been true as recently as about seven or eight years ago, but the weird thing is I'm not even sure that is true anymore. To be honest I'd prefer if it was - as much as plenty of the 'regular' types were quick to bemoan the advent of PG, I'd say things felt a lot more focused when it was clear that was WWE's target audience. If anything I think it's hard to figure out just where they're aiming of late, although I will agree that there certainly seem to be a fair few toy adverts on YouTube I've noticed. Either way, I've yet to see anything that suggests they're actually reaching this younger audience that some have suggested they are.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

WWE is not over with kids according to the demos. The over 50 crowd carries WWE. AEW has more viewers per home and a younger audience.Ā 

Three of my nephews (aged 6, 9 and 12) have been big WWE fans for a long time. They get to watch both WWE and AEW through WWE Network/Fite.TV (my treat :)Ā ), for their birthdays at the end of last year, they all asked for AEW wrestling figures/t-shirts (with the exception of 1 Roman Reigns tshirt) rather than the usual WWE ones. The last time I spoke with them they said they've stopped watching WWE as it's so boring. I have to admit, I was surprised by that as I assumed WWE was aimed more towards the kids. Although their parents aren't that happy with AEW in terms of the language/violence so I think that could be an issue with attracting more younger fans as some parents will be put off by that.

3 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

You keep saying this, but I donā€™t ever see any actual evidence for it. Ratings are skewed towards the oldest generation weā€™ve ever seen, and that includes NXT ā€˜2.0ā€™ (which we all know is really 3.0 as theyā€™re discounting the best NXT with Husky Harris carrying barrels in the glory days). Their YouTube videos fluctuate wildly. Who is this young audience youā€™re so confident theyā€™re reaching, and where are they reaching them? Iā€™m genuinely curious as to what makes you so sure thatā€™s what is happening.

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessarily an age thing, but a consumer thing. I believe that itā€™s catered towards the ā€œJust In Timeā€ market. Us last generation are the boomers. We watched at a set time and watched a set format. The way content is consumed isnā€™t like that any more, itā€™s instant and now. Itā€™s bite size and itā€™s on demand.Ā 
Ā 

As I said before, I donā€™t think WWE are focusing on snagging lifers like us any more, and are more focused on a disposable fast fashion. They know that someone who watches now probably wonā€™t in a few years but there will be other who will take their place. WWE is wrestling in the same way UFC is MMA/cage fighting.Ā 
Ā 

Of course, Iā€™m basing all of this on here as I donā€™t watch wrestling. We are older fans by and large, and practically everyone hates WWE but still consume it. There is another smaller brand that arenā€™t a ā€œJust In Timeā€ model. They have the slow builds that we are used to, but they also have the content on demand, some of which is disposable. But in general, itā€™s wrestling like it was when we enjoyed it. Not this 100 cuts a second forget what happened last month order now for delivery tomorrow feel that WWE serve up.Ā