The 2022 strip out Triple H's vision thread

garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

I very much doubt Vince knows who Jim Smallman is, honestly, can you imagine Vince choosing a 40 something man child in a baseball cap over 'the old guard'?

I imagine Smallman is paid a fraction of what someone like Regal or Road Dogg were making, and likely bit Vince's hand off for a shitty contract so he could say he worked for WWE. So in a lot of ways, yeah, I can see why they'd choose him. 

Timothy Thatcher has to be the least surprising, when was the last time he was on tv? he seems like everything the new nxt isn't. 

Thatcher's been working as a coach/trainer for a while, and it's mostly people from that world that have been cut. 

In terms of notable names (i.e., ex-wrestlers), that leaves the Performance Center staffed by Steve Corino, Samoa Joe, Fit Finlay, Johnny Moss, Robbie Brookside, Norman Smiley, Sara Del Rey, Terry Taylor and Matt Bloom. I can't see all of them seeing this out.

Shocking news about Regal. As has been said, I thought he was a lifer. 

You just know Danielson and Punk will be telling Tony to bring Regal in and they would be crazy not to (if Regal is interested). Selfishly I would love to see him wrestle some exhibition matches ala Shibata but I dont want him risking his health.

• Paid Members

if I were Tony Khan, I'd have been on the phone to William Regal the moment the news broke, and would have him showing up as soon as possible. The NXT/AEW "war" is long dead, but having Regal show up in AEW feels as much of a shot across the bow as Adam Cole or Johnny Gargano signing with them. That said, if he has the patience to wait until the first AEW UK show and have Regal walk out unannounced there, that could be a great moment.

• Paid Members

Regal could be great in anything they can use him for.

While I'm not into authority figures, Regal in NXT was the main exception over the last 15 years. Him being brought in as Tony Khan's representative wouldn't be a bad way of doing it, if they avoided all the tropes authority figures tend to fall into. As in NXT, Regal as a genuine, fair authority figure just maintaining order wouldn't be a terrible thing.

He'd also make a great commentator, not that AEW is hurting for those. But I'd certainly put him ahead of Jericho.

Alternatively, I'd love to see him manage Pac - two hard-as-nails northern bastards. Hell, a Regal stable would be great. He's one of those guys that can add to an act that doesn't need him without taking away from them. Pac doesn't need a mouthpiece, but Regal as his manager could be lovely. I'd even love to see him interact with Mox like that. And, obviously, I'd love to see him interact with Danhausen if/when AEW brings him in. 

One thing with these cuts is that they're finally marking passage of time on a WWE product that's been the same thing in most of our heads for at least ten years.

It's always been about business, but the current Peacock pandemic era has become a real unscrupulous content-for-cash, close confidants only, keep the top guys close and cover your arses for a potential sale era. 

The first few years of the Network seem a long time ago now. For awhile there it was WWE's Brave New World. Full of documentaries showing them meticulously planning for the future, Robbie Brookside and A-Train calling around to the kids houses for dinner, Triple H showing up on the indies to wish everyone well. 

• Paid Members

Get him in there as an agent, I bet he'd do a great job putting matches together and training the youngsters up for Dark/Elevation, or have him scouting. As I said earlier with all the free agents kicking around (talent and creative) somebody would be able to put a heck of a company together. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It's always been about business, but the current Peacock pandemic era has become a real unscrupulous content-for-cash, close confidants only, keep the top guys close and cover your arses for a potential sale era. 

I'll go a bit further and say they're engineering a sale by stripping down everything that's not 'essential' and packaging it up, letting the buyer worry about its future.

This sounds to me like disaster capitalism, and I have nothing good to say about that at all.