Sky One Memories

Glenryck Pilchards

27 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Wasn't there that dating show where the lady was trans, and she kept them all interested for the whole series, then when she told them she was trans in the last episode everybody immediately withdrew from the show? Something about Miriam was it called? Poor girl. 

There's Something About Miriam

Apparently, the guy she chose in the final initially accepted the prize money and the holiday on camera but then rejected the prize and joined the lawsuit with all the other blokes before the show aired. One of the many things they were suing the show for 'conspiracy to commit sexual assault'. Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Wasn't there that dating show where the lady was trans, and she kept them all interested for the whole series, then when she told them she was trans in the last episode everybody immediately withdrew from the show? Something about Miriam was it called? Poor girl. 

There's something about Miriam.

The jokes on TV burp about it haven't aged too well and some contestants tried to sue the production team over it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The very last thing I would have done was withdraw. 

Utterly fascinated me, that woman did. 

• Paid Members

After being the absolute coolest channel in the 90s it was amazing how shite it became in the mid to late 2000s. That Harry Enfield show on there was genuinely awful beyond belief and every time they brought out a new original drama it was guaranteed to be terrible. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Time Gentlemen, Please which came out before Al Murray hit big and weirdly for a British comedy had about 25 episodes a series rather than the usual six every other comedy did at that time.

• Awards Moderator

I remember so many kids at school having Sky while we were stuck with the four terrestrial channels and a fuzzy Channel 5. When we got On Digital in the late 90s, Sky One was the channel I was most excited for, and it was great. Pokemon after school most days, new episodes (new episodes!) of The Simpsons on a Sunday night with the Dominos Pizza advert… and WWF wrestling, SmackDown on a Saturday, Metal on a Sunday. And Dream Team, of course.

I remember the hype in the On Digital magazine they used to send for Futurama starting on Sky One, and I think they started showing Family Guy at the same time. Before long they’d got the rights to show Buffy off the BBC, and Friends from Channel 4. Luckily when ITV Digital as it became went bust in 2002, we finally got Sky Digital (just in time for the brand split if I remember correctly). A few years later they nabbed Lost from 4 as well, and their showing the final episode simultaneously with the USA had me awake and watching at 5am to see what happened.

Once they launched Sky Atlantic most of the stuff I wanted to watch was on there and I can’t think what the last show I’d have watched on Sky One would have been - Fringe, maybe? But for a good few years it was definitely my favourite channel.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

After being the absolute coolest channel in the 90s it was amazing how shite it became in the mid to late 2000s. That Harry Enfield show on there was genuinely awful beyond belief and every time they brought out a new original drama it was guaranteed to be terrible. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Time Gentlemen, Please which came out before Al Murray hit big and weirdly for a British comedy had about 25 episodes a series rather than the usual six every other comedy did at that time.

Richard Herring pretty much wrote it single-handed and was doing each episode from blank sheet to transmission in a week. Bought him a house and sent him mental.

That said, having done sketches on a BBC 2 series about effectively stalking Julia Sawalha, he did end up writing this show she was in and dating her, presumably because she never saw the sketches.

11 hours ago, patiirc said:

DJKat was great especially for Turtles, Diplodos, and other low cost import shows. 

Diplodo? That’s an obscure reference. I remember first seeing that on French TV when I was on holiday. Then I saw it a year later in English on Sky. Was made by the same people who created Inspector Gadget.

I remember a Sunday evening music chart show presented by Pat Sharp and later by Terry Christian.

I used to watch WWF Superstars every Friday night at 10pm. Think Freddie’s Nightmares was on afterwards at one point but it was a bit crap IIRC.

I also recall a lot of old American programmes like Family Ties, Growing Pains, ALF, Diff’rent Strokes, TJ Hooker and the Man from Atlantis. Even some Australian stuff like E Street (a “rival” to Neighbours which nobody cared about) and even the Young Doctors was shown from the beginning.

I also remember Games World including Big Boy Barry and his mate Lesley (played by David Walliams before he was famous).

I miss the late 80s/early 90s version of Sky Channel/One in some ways. It kind of became more mainstream when they started showing the likes of Friends in the late nineties and wasn’t the same since.

8 hours ago, LCJ said:

Diplodo? That’s an obscure reference. I remember first seeing that on French TV when I was on holiday. Then I saw it a year later in English on Sky. Was made by the same people who created Inspector Gadget.

I remember a Sunday evening music chart show presented by Pat Sharp and later by Terry Christian.

I used to watch WWF Superstars every Friday night at 10pm. Think Freddie’s Nightmares was on afterwards at one point but it was a bit crap IIRC.

I also recall a lot of old American programmes like Family Ties, Growing Pains, ALF, Diff’rent Strokes, TJ Hooker and the Man from Atlantis. Even some Australian stuff like E Street (a “rival” to Neighbours which nobody cared about) and even the Young Doctors was shown from the beginning.

I also remember Games World including Big Boy Barry and his mate Lesley (played by David Walliams before he was famous).

I miss the late 80s/early 90s version of Sky Channel/One in some ways. It kind of became more mainstream when they started showing the likes of Friends in the late nineties and wasn’t the same since.

Dinosaurs who's special powers were sellotape, stapler and other office equipment meant that it was hard to forget. There was also an anime style Sherlock Homes. 

Power Hour was the god squad programme wasnt it? 

Also pretty sure they had In Living Colour and China Beach and reruns of LA Law too

Edited by patiirc

• Paid Members

T And T, the Mr T Lawyer/Detective show was on there at one point on a Sunday morning. It's on Youtube now

@patiircPower Hour was usually an hour of some televangelist spouting their bollocks from a huge compound paid for tax free by what they'd embezzled from the collection plate.