Sky One Memories

Glenryck Pilchards

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

T And T, the Mr T Lawyer/Detective show was on there at one point on a Sunday morning. It's on Youtube now

@patiircPower Hour was usually an hour of some televangelist spouting their bollocks from a huge compound paid for tax free by what they'd embezzled from the collection plate.

Just remembered one of the replacement cartoons was C. O. P. S

Which got a release on the '99p Dvds' ages ago. 

I knew some friends with Sky in the early-to-mid 90s and mainly remember catching bits of wrestling and the cartoons long before those episodes got to terrestrial TV. Not sure if either of those was Sky one though. I knew they got The Simpsons as well, but I don't think I was ever round a mate's house that late on a Sunday evening. 

Anyway, I eventually got a Sky Digital box of my own mainly for the sports coverage, but would give anything on Sky One a chance. GamesWorld didn't capture the magic of CITV or Channel 4's gaming efforts from the preceding decade for me (but it was better than what the BBC or, years later, Dave put out on that subject), though perhaps I was beginning to follow the scene less closely around that time in any event.

I caught the first run of the last consistently decent Simpsons series and like many here, soon got into the habit of watching Dream Team and the sanitised Saturday morning first run of SmackDown too. Apart from that I mainly gravitated towards anything that might pique the interest of my teenage loner hormones: dramas like Is Harry On The Boat?, Mile High, Hex – the one where Christina Cole was eventually a good sport in one episode – and even early 'reality' format Prickly Heat starring The One Show's Alex Jones.

I've had my memory jogged by some of the shows mentioned here already. Didn't appreciate Time, Gentlemen Please as much as my stepbrother did at the time, but I ended up buying the DVD box set years later and enjoying it. Gave The PJs a go and found one episode so inexplicably hilarious that I'm still using a spoonerism of its main joke as my online alias 21 years later, but I doubt that'd hold up too well these days.

Then near the very end, it was all about quirky cult shows. I was hooked on Season 2 of Dead Like Me only to find out just before the finale that the Yank station that made it, Showtime, had gone and cancelled it already. I even watched the only season of Wonderfalls all the way through, despite ratings tanking so much that they aired most of it on the short-lived Sky Three channel. Speaking of which, I seem to recall there were also two tries at launching a viable Sky Two over the years on top of all that. The brief existence of a third channel must've been during that second attempt.

My subscription was cancelled in September 2005 when my grandparents stopped paying for it, so after that I only had access to the Freesat channels for a few years, and then just Freeview which was still an improvement on the five channels I'd been able to get six years earlier so I didn't really miss it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LCJ said:

This advert used to be on a lot.

Now i know where Too Many Cooks got it’s inspiration.

33 minutes ago, neil said:

Cor, look at you lot with your rich families having Sky and parents who welcomed a satellite dish on their house. Bet you all had a Mega Drive AND a SNES too.

Amiga 500 and Game Gear was the closest I got. But I didn’t have Sky, we had BSB because my Dad believed that was the winner. When they got bought by Sky, and we got a dodgy decoder card, that was when the love affair began for me. The Squarial never got replaced before we moved out of that house in 97. Hope it’s still there. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, LCJ said:

The BSB Squarial used better technology than what Sky were using at the time and could even be used indoors. It was the Betamax of Satellite systems.

BSB had a thing called the Galaxy Club which was the kids bit. They had a sketch show called Hold The Pickle which was Paul Hendy, Rebecca Front and Lee Evans before any of them were known. I have never seen anyone reference it.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

BSB had a thing called the Galaxy Club which was the kids bit. They had a sketch show called Hold The Pickle which was Paul Hendy, Rebecca Front and Lee Evans before any of them were known. I have never seen anyone reference it.

I didn’t have BSB but I think Chris Evans presented a show on there too. I also think BSB were who Andy Gray and Martin Tyler commentated for before Sky Sports (Sky Sports being a result of the merger between Sky and BSB).

1 hour ago, LCJ said:

I didn’t have BSB but I think Chris Evans presented a show on there too. I also think BSB were who Andy Gray and Martin Tyler commentated for before Sky Sports (Sky Sports being a result of the merger between Sky and BSB).

Power Up 

"Me one, me too" 

Later transferred to post TVAM /, Wacaday weekend tv 

BSB was aces.

• Paid Members

We didn't get Sky until 1993, when Sunday nights were all about new episodes of The Simpsons.

WWF Mania on Friday nights, Superstars on Saturdays (twice) and Wrestling Challenge on Sunday lunchtimes with repeats on Sky Sports during the week.

We were also a DJ Kat household.

But I remember making a point of going to my aunt and uncle's house for years before that, as they had satellite TV.

Sadly theirs was one of the early boxes with no card slot and couldn't be arsed paying. Was a sad day when I realised this was to be the case...

Edited by garynysmon