Sky One Memories

Glenryck Pilchards

It's how I became a wrestling fan. Smackdown on a Saturday morning, followed by the hour-long Raw recap (was it Afterburn? I can't quite remember the name of the show)

I started watching during the early days of the brand split, when Brock Lesnar was chasing Kurt Angle for the WWE Championship, and Eddie Guerrero was a rising star alongside the likes of Edge and Rey Mysterio. It was impossible not to be engrossed. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

SKY was an unobtainable luxury for myself growing up, and was the height of "posh" around the parts I grew up. Oh you've got SKY and a hundred other channels (which are obviously better than the four channels I have)? You posh bastard. I remember popping round to a friends house when I was in primary school to pick up a SNES game, and I caught a five second glimpse of some virtual reality Transformers knock-off with a rapping robot that I then convinced myself was incredible despite having never seen it since.

There was another similar encounter shortly after when I caught five seconds of The Simpsons (the scene from 'Homer And Apu' where Bart and Lisa marvel at tinned cream corn), and because it was a cartoon that WASN'T on channel 3 or BBC, it felt like something exotic and truly special.

We never got SKY until the early 00's, and after a weekend of SKY ONE'ing the shine wore off and SKY just became a vehicle to watch SMACKDOWN and HEAT on a Saturday morning. I had clearly missed the boat on SKY, as all the quality programming I'd heard about for all those years was either on terrestrial TV now or just didn't exist. It didn't take long before the channel that once had so much mystique and luxury about it, became a normal TV channel that I'd regular skim over whilst channel surfing.

RIP SKY, I hardly knew ye.

A local pirate TV provider started broadcasting Sky One for free here in Co.Cork Ireland.

if you got terrestrial TV, then you got Sky One at no extra charge. No quite legal but they started broadcasting it in July 92 and stopped in Nov 96 so we got 4 years of free Sky One.

Edited by RancidPunx

Sky One started my love of WWF c1989 with Survivor Series being broadcast in full one December evening. 

My dad was an early tech adapter for everything and we had a 16 channel box, right up until the decoder cards came in. 

DJKat was great especially for Turtles, Diplodos, and other low cost import shows. 

We lost out in the early 1990s recession and couldn't afford it. 

However will miss Family Ties, Original Star Trek. loads of other American Sitcoms like ALF, Crazy Like a Fox and a varity of Daytime films starring the  likes of Mary Tyler Moore. 

Always have the classy late 80s early 1990s idents too :)

• Paid Members

New episodes of The Simpsons, then a new episode of Star Trek on a Sunday night before bed, or at least before going and having a bash on Streets Of Rage 2 on my Megadrive. 

I made it through some episodes of Space Precinct. My mum won a jacket like the ones they wore in the show in our local paper, and it was a Gerry Anderson thing, so thought it'd be worth a look. It's better than The Secret Service. 

Married With Children & the Nanny were regular teatime viewing as well. 

I remember on a Saturday morning two of my mates would come round the pub and we'd watch the Saturday morning Smackdown replay on Sky One, then have some dinner. One week they had an Undertaker/Cena match on, and it was so bad they walked out. It felt like it was just nothing but armwringers being traded. 

Mrs Jazzy enjoyed watching all the Hawaii 5-0, Supergirl, Maguyver, Star Gate SG-1, NCIS stuff etc. 

Power Rangers in the morning before School. I remember asking my mum to video it for me when I was doing work experience in school because I'd have to set off before it'd finished. The weird Power Rangers knock-off shows they stuck on to fill time in a Sunday morning after they'd showed some weird American evangelical church thing from 6am. The two I remembered were Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (which was adapted from a Tokusatsu show and has a spiritual sequel in the form of an anime on Crunchyroll) and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills, which is an entirely original knockoff. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

American tv shows, Wrestling and a skin flick on a Friday night.  80’s bliss.  RIP.

I don't remember Sky One showing skin flicks. You used to have to go three doors along to RTL1 for those.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Yes.

Good article here about the channel and some of it's best performing shows. Surprised by the success of the Karl Pilkington shows. 

https://medium.com/brokentv/sky-one-a-history-b9faf6f4c9bc

I'm not surprised by the lack of sentimentality though. When Helen Chamberlain left Soccer AM after decades on the show, they barely mentioned it, let alone did any sort of video tribute. 

Lovely article, thanks. Good namecheck and link for @Astro Hollywood in there too.