Sky One Memories

Glenryck Pilchards

As of today Sky One is no more. Launching in 1982 as Satellite Television it eventually became Sky Channel in 1984 and changed its name to Sky One in 1989. It was the oldest non-terrestrial channel lasting nearly 40 years, with MTV now taking over as the oldest channel on your planner. 

I am a bit of a broadcasting nerd and I am a little bit sad about the demise of Sky One. I was lucky that my parents were early adopters of Sky Television and I was an avid watcher of DJ Kat Show which introduced me to Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles, Rude Dog and Hulk Hogan's Rock n Wrestling. 

Sky One also gave me my first exposure of WWF where i religiously watched WWF Mania, Livewire and Superstars on a weekend morning 

One thing that sticks with me though is after school every night all of the kids in the street used to pile into my living room (much to the annoyance of my parents) to watch Games World and moan at the contestants who were shockingly shit at the games. My Dad, called Barry gained a new nickname from it which he still hasn't managed to shake off nearly 30 years later. 

So what are your favourite memories from Sky One? I am now expecting a ten page thread about Dream Team....

• Paid Members

If you were lucky to have Sky in the early 90’s, you were in heaven. The Simpsons, Dream On, Seinfeld, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, X-Men, Power Rangers, Games World, Married with Children, Star Trek, X-Files, Due South and of course WWF. And there’s probably other gems I’ve missed there. I’m truly had something for everyone! In it’s day, the best TV channel in the UK. But it’s been in an awful state for a while now.

• Paid Members

There was a hype music video for an England Cricket tour or something. That was played on Sky One and no doubt the other Sky Channels. Very patriotic and historic. I hate cricket but thought that this music video was great.

Used to watch all the WWF syndicated shows on it. We didn't have Satellite TV. I'd go over to my aunts and watch with my uncle. Who's still a fan to this day. He finds it difficult to nabigate the plethora of channels that are available now. He was very pleased when I put a on YouTube WWF compilation the other day. 

Is the channel going to be completely deleted or just renamed?

Edited by BigJag

I remember all my family gathering round the TV to watch the Simpsons in 1990-91 or so. Probably the only show we'd all watch together every week. There was some awful talent show hosted by Keith Chegwin on before it, I forget what it was called.

Was there football on Sky One before Sky Sports started? I remember watching the Zenith Data Systems cup on Sky (this was before the Premier League) and I can't think what other channel it would have been on.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, BigJag said:

There was a hype music video for an England Cricket tour or something. That was played on Sky One and no doubt the other Sky Channels. Very patriotic and historic. I hate cricket but thought that this music video was great.

51 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Used to watch all the WWF syndicated shows on it. We didn't have Satellite TV. I'd go over to my aunts and watch with my uncle. Who's still a fan to this day. He finds it difficult to nabigate the plethora of channels that are available now. He was very pleased when I put a on YouTube WWF compilation the other day. 

Is the channel going to be completely deleted or just renamed?

Their 106 channel slot is going to replaced with Sky Showcase which will be more like Sky 2, Sky mix etc were; showing reruns from their other main channels like Atlantic, Arts, etc. they’re also adding a new channel Sky Max which will show all their original new content and some of their US import shows (the stuff Sky One used to show).

So is it just a natural evolution of the programming that’s made them split/rebrand, or just some people in marketing needing to justify their existence? It has such widespread recognition, seems weird to piss it away unless it’s really on its arse. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

All of the usual, plus that "Heil Honey! I'm Home" supposed "comedy" about Hitler and Eva Braun moving next to a Jewish family. It last literally one episode on Sky One in 1990..

"Heil Honey! I'm Home" wasn't Sky One, it was on Galaxy before Sky bought out BSB.

My main memories of actually watching Sky One are of The Simpsons, and watching Smackdown on Saturday mornings, but my overwhelming memories of Sky One in general are of late '90s adverts for Hercules and Early Edition.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Was Malcolm in the middle sky one?

Yes.

Good article here about the channel and some of it's best performing shows. Surprised by the success of the Karl Pilkington shows. 

https://medium.com/brokentv/sky-one-a-history-b9faf6f4c9bc

I'm not surprised by the lack of sentimentality though. When Helen Chamberlain left Soccer AM after decades on the show, they barely mentioned it, let alone did any sort of video tribute.