Apparently "great" songs that are fucking dire.

PowerButchi

On 8/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, PunkStep said:

Anything by RHCP is crap and massively overrated, aside from a couple of early songs.

There’s some great stuff on “one hot minute”, probably because it had Dave Navarro from Jane’s addiction on guitar and he forced them to do something a bit different. Then they brought the old guitarist back for Californication and the rest is very dull history. 

• Moderators

Not to turn it into a RHCP thread, but Blood Sugar Sex Magik is musically great, lyrically its a cringe fest but thats Kiedis for you. I do agree that One Hot Minute is massively underrated. But yeah, everything since BSSM is bland as fuck.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They are genuinely one of my most hated bands, but because their early stuff was fucking brilliant. Then they became a covers band and sold out. 

Yeah, that "I Can't Help Falling in Love" version was terrible. No wonder they left it out of that "Honeymoon in Vegas" film and stuck it on the "Sliver" soundtrack.

6 hours ago, hallicks said:

There’s some great stuff on “one hot minute”, probably because it had Dave Navarro from Jane’s addiction on guitar and he forced them to do something a bit different. Then they brought the old guitarist back for Californication and the rest is very dull history. 

Word is the band never play anything from One Hot Minute live anymore. There was also a rumour that Dave Navarro was sacked from the band “for not being good enough”. Not sure I believe that though. Probably just a clash of egos or creative differences.

Metallica never play anything from St Anger live anymore either but that’s probably for the best.

55 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

They did a couple of years ago when they played over here. Manchester got St Anger and Twickenham got Frantic. 

All Within My Hands got a run out for S&M2 as well, and I think has been played a few times on live streams in COVID times. That’s the thing with Metallica, they chop and change the set list all the time you never know what your going to get other than a feeling of being ripped off for the admission price.

Speaking of Rock and Metal (which I appreciate the vast majority of folks on here will think is all fucking dire, and that’s OK), so many of the big acts most known hits are far and away from being their best. Not intending to sound like a snob or anything, but there are so many bands with songs tucked away as album  tracks that are better than anything they ever released as a single. 

I don’t know if it’s because I’ve heard certain songs so many times that they lost all meaning, but if I ever hear Back In Black or The Ace Of Spades again, I might actually go postal. 
Never more is this hammered home by something like a request show on something like Planet Rock. 
“Dear DJ Dave, 

My Nigel is in the middle of decorating our kitchen. Any chance you can play something by AC/DC for him?

Love, Jane”

Something? You know full well it’s going to be one of Highway To Hell, Back In Black or Thunderstruck, you should’ve just saved yourself the time and put the CD on

Edited by WyattSheepMask

"Are we human? Or are we dancer?" What a load of shite. I like The Killers, even though I'm sure someone is about to come along and say how they think Mr. Brightside is wank, but fuck me, that 'Human' had any sort of success baffles me. Lyrically it's got all the value of a Coldplay album track and the whole thing just makes me annoyed.

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Jump Around by House of Pain may well be the worst song ever recorded.

When I used to DJ (Yes, as DJ Baconbits), there was nothing I liked more than playing Harlem Shuffle and people thinking it was the intro to Jump Around. People lost their minds and I was threatened on more than one occasion. Cracking days.

38 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

They did a couple of years ago when they played over here. Manchester got St Anger and Twickenham got Frantic. 

That’s a shame. They must’ve played St Anger when I went for a beer then because I don’t recall that.

33 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Speaking of Rock and Metal (which I appreciate the vast majority of folks on here will think is all fucking dire, and that’s OK), so many of the big acts most known hits are far and away from being their best. Not intending to sound like a snob or anything, but there are so many bands with songs tucked away as album  tracks that are better than anything they ever released as a single.

It annoys me far more than it should that Rush's most famous songs are Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I kind of get Tom Sawyer because of the synth solo bit and the drumming is great, but overall it's just a bit dull and Limelight is a fucking dirge. From the same album, you could have had YYZ or Witch Hunt, both far superior. Or how about anything from Grace Under Pressure? Eh? EH? Who's with me? *lonely Rush fan tumbleweed*