Jump to content

Apparently "great" songs that are fucking dire.


PowerButchi

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted
14 hours ago, hallicks said:

It annoys me far more than it should that Rush's most famous songs are Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I kind of get Tom Sawyer because of the synth solo bit and the drumming is great, but overall it's just a bit dull and Limelight is a fucking dirge. From the same album, you could have had YYZ or Witch Hunt, both far superior. Or how about anything from Grace Under Pressure? Eh? EH? Who's with me? *lonely Rush fan tumbleweed*

Spirit of Radio would be their most famous song, I'd have thought. 

  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
2 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Spirit of Radio would be their most famous song, I'd have thought. 

If you go by Spotify streams, Tom Sawyer (a little over 188million) has nearly 3 times as many as Spirit of Radio  (64million).

Spirit of Radio might be more popular amongst the hardcore fan base, but Tom Sawyer is definitely the bigger one to the fair weather fans. Like with any band, you get the “I’d probably say...’The Best of The Beatles” fans, they know one song. With Rush, it’s Tom Sawyer, with KISS it’s ‘I Was Made For Loving You’, with Aerosmith it’s ‘I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing’ and so on

And seen as I’ve just mentioned it, I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing is fucking shite

Posted
45 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

To be fair black Americans going on about Africa is equally tiresome and uninformed. It's just an American thing.

Without meaning to go off on a tangent, isn’t that more to do with them being denied their ancestral knowledge?  White European descendants know where abouts in Europe they’re from and they can celebrate that aspect of their culture whether it be German, Irish, Dutch etc. But black people don’t know if they were warring tribes or fellow countrymen or whatever. All they know is they were slaves so the only culture they can affirm is the black American one. It’s why “Black Pride” is a collective thing. 
 

I hope I whitesplained that well enough for you to understand. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Tribute by Tenacious D or just the band in general, they're not remotely fucking funny.

My then girlfriend and I listened to the Tenacious D album a lot when it was out and we were together. Aftwrwe broke up and I got back to Uni whenever I was anywhere with a guitar and wasn't jamming with fellow music students the non musos would constantly be mithering me to play Tribute. It was difficult. It is a fun song, but it's an emotional one. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Tough to get into music conversation without “Hawk the Slayer’s rubbish” energy.

Having said that….

On 8/28/2021 at 9:47 AM, Mr_Danger said:

No he isn’t. Darts wankers and Karaoke cunts have ruined that song for sure but the mans music stands on its own merits! 

I did read this and think “If you think these are the worst cunts that have ruined it you’re in for a shock” but then I carried on reading. Whichever club used to use Sweet Caroline as one of “theirs” is probably thrilled to have to share it with the ING ER LUND tribe.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, Frankie Crisp said:

Wonderwall. Its love has baffled me for a quarter of a century. 

Oasis only recorded two decent albums and we all now accept that as scientific fact. However, it is baffling that this tedious dirge is or ever was regarded by anyone as better than Talk Tonight, Whatever or even Cast No Shadow.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 8/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

If you go by Spotify streams, Tom Sawyer (a little over 188million) has nearly 3 times as many as Spirit of Radio  (64million).

Spirit of Radio might be more popular amongst the hardcore fan base, but Tom Sawyer is definitely the bigger one to the fair weather fans. 

It's probably because "Tom Sawyer" by Rush was in a famous "Family Guy" scene..

NSFW

 

  • Moderators
Posted
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

It's probably because "Tom Sawyer" by Rush was in a famous "Family Guy" scene..

It's definitely not for this reason. Family Guy doesn't have that kind of reach culturally I don't think, and this song's mainstream popularity predates family guy anyway.

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Tribute by Tenacious D or just the band in general, they're not remotely fucking funny.

 

16 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Yeah Tenacious D can fuck right off. Shit even for a novelty act. 

 

Youre Going Down Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

 

13 hours ago, King Coconut said:

I'd like to mention at this point in the proceedings that, what with musical taste being a very subjective thing and everything, you are all cunts.

 

Posted
2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

It's probably because "Tom Sawyer" by Rush was in a famous "Family Guy" scene..

NSFW

 

Famous? I doubt anyone can tell you which episode it’s from without googling it. As @Chest Rockwellsaid, Family Guy doesn’t have that kind of reach culturally, and besides, Fry and his ‘All Rush Mixtape’ had featured it on Futurama years earlier, which probably has even less cultural reach.

Its just the go to Rush song for most media. You’ll probably get other tracks played on classic rock stations, but those same stations are also still playing Tom Sawyer ahead of them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...