Apparently "great" songs that are fucking dire.

PowerButchi

32 minutes ago, JohnKringler said:

Like a Virgin By Madonna. Maybe it was Edgy when it came out, but its just lame and crap now. 

I'm on the other side with Madonna in that her old stuff is where the gold is. Oh and Ray of Light is a bit alright. 

Not for this thread as it isn't considered good to begin with but her cover of American Pie is a war crime. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, JohnKringler said:

Like a Virgin By Madonna. Maybe it was Edgy when it came out, but its just lame and crap now. 

This reminds me of an “old man shouts at cloud” post I decided not to make about my hatred for modern music deciding perfectly serviceable pop songs need a sprinkling of “pussy” or the n-word.

Agreed with Chili that Ray of Light is the best jumping off point with Madge.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm confused. Give me an example.

Presumably he means that one she does about giving her cat a bath? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

This reminds me of an “old man shouts at cloud” post I decided not to make about my hatred for modern music deciding perfectly serviceable pop songs need a sprinkling of “pussy” or the n-word.

Agreed with Chili that Ray of Light is the best jumping off point with Madge.

I’d push as far as the next year when we got Beautiful Stranger from the Austin Powers 2 soundtrack. But her stuff post 2000 is mostly dogshit, no matter how many people try and convince me otherwise. 

Yeah Beautiful Stranger is a decent tune . Then she shows up not long after that with the worst James Bond theme of them all. 

Speaking of dire, Money for Nothing is well loved right? I know that's mostly for the video, but there's another turgid tune. 

I'll also take Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite, which is like the drunk aunt's birthday's version of decent early 90s ecstasy music. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Yeah Money for Nothing is basically that intro and the cool guitar and you can sack it off after that. Has a grubby f-bomb in it to, not fuck either. In fact most of Dire Straits doesn't do much. Walk of Life is seemingly liked or played a lot and its a chore. Should have chucked Cherry Gillespie in all their videos to keep me interested. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Chili said:

Yeah Money for Nothing is basically that intro and the cool guitar and you can sack it off after that. Has a grubby f-bomb in it to, not fuck either. In fact most of Dire Straits doesn't do much. Walk of Life is seemingly liked or played a lot and its a chore. Should have chucked Cherry Gillespie in all their videos to keep me interested. 

They removed the f-bomb in later versions, so it just becomes an instrumental bit. 

• Paid Members
On 8/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, LaGoosh said:

Pretty typical weird American behaviour. They all love their family historical routes but very few of them have actually visited Ireland, Italy, Greece, Scotland or wherever they claim to identify so strongly with.

Standing in one of the overly long queues for a ride at Universal Studios several years ago, an American fella standing ahead of us heard my family talking. He decided to start telling us that he was Irish too, and that he was, in fact "50% Irish, 25% Scottish and 25% Welsh". The conversation ended pretty abruptly when I asked the guy what percentage of him would be left over to be American.