Apparently "great" songs that are fucking dire.

PowerButchi

Not including hip hop as I could fill the entire thread, but I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor by Arctic Monkeys.

Maybe it's an over exposure thing (like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Killing In The Name Of) but even on the album it stands out as poo, and for a band with such a fantastic catalogue, its, well, just shit. Makes me massively cringe as well.

The Clash-Rock The Casbah as well. I love it, but even I know it's a shit song. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Imagine by John Lennon

John Lennon in general for me. I've always preferred Harrisons post Beatles work more than Lennon's.

1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

like Queen, favourite band as a kid, but I've never been a fan of that song

Same. I wouldn't say it's a bad song but it's not great and terribly overrated from everything they did. I'd say Night at the opera is an overrated album and not as good as day at the races.

We were on a school trip once and queens hits was one of a very small number of cassettes in the van. The fact people didn't let it get past side 1 song 1 genuinely baffled me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

John Lennon in general for me. I've always preferred Harrisons post Beatles work more than Lennon's.

George Harrison's "It's All Too Much" is ten times the song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", further to my earlier point about John Lennon being shit.  

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Don’t Stop Me Now do my head in. The most irritating of Queen songs.

I'd argue against don't stop me now, it's terribly overplayed but I'd stand by saying it's a great song. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Maybe it's an over exposure thing (like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Killing In The Name Of) but even on the album it stands out as poo, and for a band with such a fantastic catalogue, its, well, just shit

I think it's that- a cross of overexposure and not being one of their best songs. The Strokes' Last Night is similar for me. Brilliant album, but that song is far from one of the better tracks on there. 

Chalk me up as another that doesn't rate Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a clever song because it's uniqueness has helped it stand out, but I'm turning that shit over whenever it's on. 

Anything by RHCP is crap and massively overrated, aside from a couple of early songs. All Saints' version of Under The Bridge is better and I will fight anyone to defend that view. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, gmoney said:

George Harrison's "It's All Too Much" is ten times the song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", further to my earlier point about John Lennon being shit.  

Yes. That's because George Harrison was easily the best Beatle in every way. My Sweet Lord pisses over anything the others have done. Well, except for Ringo's narrating for Thomas.

Toploader's version of Dancing In The Moonlight. I can pinpoint the exact moment that I started to lose trust in the general public to the time when I walked past the stage and saw thousands of people clapping their hands in the air and singing along to this song at Glastonbury festival in 2000. I occasionally DJ student nights (or did, before "all this") and it still seems to be popular with the young 'uns even now. Fuck knows why.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yes. That's because George Harrison was easily the best Beatle in every way. My Sweet Lord pisses over anything the others have done. Well, except for Ringo's narrating for Thomas.

Although My Sweet Lord is from the Chilli school of song writing. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Toploader's version of Dancing In The Moonlight.

Absolutely nobody thinks this is a great song aside from thirty-something couples who have 'In This House We Love and Cherish Prosecco' posters in their apartment.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely nobody thinks this is a great song aside from thirty-something couples who have 'In This House We Love and Cherish Prosecco' posters in their apartment.

It's an awful song, but it immediately takes me to the Four Lions scene in the van whenever I hear it so it gets a pass from me. Cracking up now just thinking about it.