The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Apparently, according to the landlord of the Turf on the site, Tiktok are paying 400,000 quid to put a sign displaying their name the entire size of the currently unused Kop. Along with our electric advertising hoardings (the old ones from White Hart Lane, I believe), that's some more dollar coming in. 

Can't believe that the Horse and Jockey didn't take up that sponsorship option.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

More boring Wrexham stuff. 

Apparently, according to the landlord of the Turf on the site, Tiktok are paying 400,000 quid to put a sign displaying their name the entire size of the currently unused Kop. Along with our electric advertising hoardings (the old ones from White Hart Lane, I believe), that's some more dollar coming in. 

Has there been some sort of broadcasting deal done to show their matches in the 'States? If not, I don't see where Tiktok are seeing the value in that, unless it's just to burn some money. Unless everyone who goes through the turnstyles are different each week, they are only going to get what, 13-14,000 people seeing it in the flesh, and the broadcasting deal with BT(is it still with BT?), won't have game changing viewers, I wouldn't have thought?

I suppose there is the documentary which would put a decent number of eyes on it. 

By the way, I apologise if I sound like I'm always trying to knock down what is obviously a very exciting time for you and other Wrexham fans who have had a wank time over the years. I'm not, but I have a real fear/worry when clubs lower down the league suddenly start to operate on a much bigger basis thanks to foreign ownership. I'm having the same issues with my own club/owners, and we are not even spending any more than we did before. Without that long running connection, I'm constantly waiting for them to call it a day if they don't get any success and walk away, leaving the club and supporters with the clean up...

• Awards Moderator

He’s gone. The ordeal is over. Along with Thatcher doing an impression of a melting Boglin, this is one the happiest moments of my life.

We’re also doing some great business in the market this summer, which feels completely alien to me. Joachim Andersen has signed up today so along with Marc Guéhi we’re finally investing in defenders who don’t have their agent seeing what post-retirement work they can land.

Going to make the most of the next fortnight or so until we get snotted in the first game of the season.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Guehi's a gem. I think he's even better than Tomori was at a similar stage in development (before playing in the top flight). Like with Tomori, you can tell in advance that the buying club's going to easily be able to double their money at least within a few years.

We're so fucking stacked at CB it's hard to care, though!

• Paid Members

Our kid and I were having a chat recently about the role of the third choice keeper. These lads who are often near the end of their career being paid to train and travel but never play for a massive club, normally helping to fill their homegrown quota. Fells like Stuart Taylor and Scott Carson at Man City, Lee Grant at United, Rob Green at Chelsea and Andy Lonergan at Liverpool. These lads have medals others can only dream of because the old days of having to play in a final or play a certain number of league games are long gone.

It's such an odd role but obviously important. Mainly for that quota spot but in case of emergency and it allows clubs to loan out promising young keepers to play games. Must take some getting used to for someone who has been playing regularly, like Carson was at Derby, but I'm sure the money and the surroundings help. I wonder what the weekly wage is for a Grant or Carson compared to Stoke and Derby?

Just reminded of it by Chelsea signing Marcus Bettenelli (released by Boro) and Palace signing Remi Matthews (released by Sunderland).

• Paid Members

Remi Matthews can't be too old, he was a youngster here at Norwich and that doesn't seem that long ago. But yeah, he's definitely a in case of dire emergency/fill a homegrown slot signing for a Premier League club you'd think.

It has evolved into a funny old role in some places, you've got to think the Green/Carson type are as much an extra goalkeeping coach as anything else.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's such an odd role but obviously important.

Yep, I imagine the wealth of knowledge and experience they can share is invaluable too. The work on the training ground between the keepers and goalkeeper coaches is massive, and having a thoroughly experienced 3rd choice keeper there must be a big boost. 

Whilst he was never anything but first choice keeper at Coventry, Oggy was always the de facto mentor to young goalies in his later years. It helped both the keepers and him in learning the proper goalkeepers coach which he was great at. 
On the flip side though he was a copper and a Tory, so fuck him twice. 

• Paid Members

Uh-oh. Tory boy hasn't shown up for training today, apparently it isn't Covid-related and is his choice- rumoured to be linked to the supposed gentleman's agreement he has with Levy to leave. Maybe this is going to get messy after all.

The thing is, City might be the only realistic destination for him and with them going full steam ahead with Grealish this week, I can't see them making another big signing circa £100m this summer.

Harry Kane: Tottenham striker fails to show up to Spurs' training ground - BBC Sport

• Paid Members
On 7/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, The Curious Orange said:

Tom Heston's gone to Man United with a view to moving into coaching too. He's 35 but I think he would have still been good enough to get in a few Premier League teams at the minute.

Without a doubt. Would still be Villas Number one if it wasn't for the amazing Emi Martinez 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, theironshake said:

As a Villa fan how come? 😂😂

Because you're no longer an utterly tedious bunch of barely avoiding relegation bores, that's why. Danny Ings and Leon Bailey!