The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Was cracking having the footy back today made better by actually winning, dunno if there's any City fans on here but the young lad Callum Doyle we ( Sunderland ) have loaned from you's looks like he could be a player. Only 17 and slotted in at cb and didn't look out of place at all and has been the same in the bits I've seen from pre season, Corry Evans from Blackburn had a cracking game too.

Was worried with us going against 3 of our ex players from last season lining up for Wigan but they done fuck all, well in for Charlie Wyke managing to grab 10k a week ( allegedly ) but he looked like the player from his 1st two seasons here.. shite

Doyle is going to be a cracking player, surprised me how big he looks in person - when he fills out he’s going to be incredibly imposing. Fantastic confidence to bring the ball through the middle several times. Had Wyke in his back pocket with ease for the whole game.

So happy to see Gooch have his MotM performance. Faultless. Before kick off, I  had said to my brother that we’d need him to step up as not to over rely on McGeady this season.

31,000+ fans today, staggering support for our 4th season in League One. All in all, I’m just so happy to finally get back to a football game after 500+ days. Anticipating my arteries clogging any second now via ungodly amounts of processed cheese on my pre match burger van double cheeseburger.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

31,000+ fans today, staggering support for our 4th season in League One. All in all, I’m just so happy to finally get back to a football game after 500+ days. Anticipating my arteries clogging any second now via ungodly amounts of processed cheese on my pre match burger van double cheeseburger.

Hopefully it's not just a first match jump in attendance. Saying that, some of the Lancashire clubs had atrocious crowds compared to usual... 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Look at the state of this. If you pay your back-up keeper and Martin fucking Braithwaite more than £100k a week then you deserve to be in the position you're in. 

Screenshot_20210807-230231_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1cdb97438433decc19dfcdf5e594261d.jpg

Stealing a living.

• Paid Members

This is their big problem now, they expected these players to move to other clubs so that wage bill could be decimated.

Those players realised they'll never get that money elsewhere because who's gonna pay Umtiti THAT!? So they all said fuck off we're staying.

18 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Laporta went on a right old rant at La Liga yesterday didn't he? Blame nobody but your poxy club mate. You (well, the previous presidents) knew what the rules were, and you still kept spending and handing out ridiculous contracts beyond your means. They're really trying to pressure La Liga into changing their rules just to suit them. Fuck Barca, you reap what you sow.

There is so much I have always liked about Barca, but at the same time so much I despise. They've spent the past 10 years shitting on the foundations laid by Cruyff. @Cod Eyesummed them up perfectly in his previous post- they should be dominating the game on and off the pitch and they've made a right old hash of it. 

It's not Laporta's fault at all, place the blame squarely on those crooks Rosell and Bartomeu, for both the financial mismanagement and the pissing on Cruyff's legacy. Those 2 almost buried the youth team set up, while paying ridiculous fees and wages for average players. 

On Messi wages, yes his wages were/are ridiculous, but he's the greatest player to ever grace a football pitch. To pay Pjanic 300k a week, Dembele 280k a week, Griezmann 600k a week, Coutinho 400k a week, is just disgusting. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bartomeu ends up in court fairly soon. 

In terms of Messi's next club, I can only see it being PSG to be honest, which says a lot more about the state of football at the moment, than anything else. Still, never thought we'd be able to see Messi and Ramos on the same side, going to be a very weird site to see them celebrating goals together, rather than Ramos kicking the shit out of him. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, sukhy said:

It's not Laporta's fault at all, place the blame squarely on those crooks Rosell and Bartomeu, for both the financial mismanagement and the pissing on Cruyff's legacy. Those 2 almost buried the youth team set up, while paying ridiculous fees and wages for average players. 

Indeed, I alluded to that. What did they do with the youth set-up?

It's quite telling that Barca were always excellent at bringing through players from La Masia, and that stopped for a while and they have only recently started to do that aggressively again (more out of necessity I'd imagine, but look at the decent players they have now integrated into the team). For years they were giving their players away to the likes of Stoke.

9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Indeed, I alluded to that. What did they do with the youth set-up?

It's quite telling that Barca were always excellent at bringing through players from La Masia, and that stopped for a while and they have only recently started to do that aggressively again (more out of necessity I'd imagine, but look at the decent players they have now integrated into the team). For years they were giving their players away to the likes of Stoke.

They chopped and changed the coaches at La Masia and throughout the youth set up constantly, they started to buy Brazilian kids who aren't good enough for 5m-10m to clog up the youth teams.

Even for the first team, the youth players had no real pathway through, Tata Martino, Luis Enrique, Valverde weren't being tasked with bringing the youth through. I don't think they could either, there's no way that those guys could drop the players who were being signed to mega wages to incorporate the youth players.

Just an example in the regards to the lack of foresight:Thiago left in 2013 because he wanted some guarantees over playing time, Barca kept Fabregas instead, sold Thiago to Bayern for 25m. In 2014 they sell Fabregas to Chelsea for 30m. 2015 Xavi leaves to go to Qatar. 

So I can only imagine what they were doing at youth level. 

They've got Ansu Fati and probably Gavi (who will come through in a year or 2) who will have found their way into the first team set up. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/barcelona-la-masia-death-academy-failure-philosophy-cruyff-messi-iniesta-xavi-crisis-club

More info here as well. 

Liverpool generated something like £120m over a period of 5 or 6 years from sales of players who came through the academy. Selling players like Jordan Ibe for £16m and Dom Solanke for £20m, who we had bought in to play in our youth set up (I miss Bournemouth). So for Barce to abandon what was literally making them the best team around to put even more effort in to their already shambolic big money transfer policy was bonkers.

I heard that Spurs had a policy that they wanted to bring three players from their academy through to their firsts team and produce three players to play league football a season. That should be a realistic eventual goal for every big team. If they ever do the big reform that’s needed to even out the playing field I hope that teams are rewarded for investing in their academies. I won’t pretend to understand the American sports system with drafts and trades but I’d love it if transfer fee’s were abolished and people traded in talent instead of money. Throw in a wage cap too.

37 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I heard that Spurs had a policy that they wanted to bring three players from their academy through to their firsts team and produce three players to play league football a season.

And this is absolutely quantifiable if you look at the players who have come through and played not just for Spurs, but also the wider football league (and abroad)

Will all of those players have top level careers? No, but the talent that has been developed is a testament to the Spurs academy (I'm sure lots of other clubs have that rate too but obviously I'm a Spurs fan)

What Spurs also did well is realising that 'late bloomers' for want of a better term need different handling as well. Take someone like Kyle Walker-Peters. A great talent, but someone that possibly would've been dismissed not only because of his height, but also his build. Acknowledging that his physical ability needed time to catch up with his actual ability allowed him to come through the first team (and do well, but that's another story)

The interesting one for me is Brentford. Accepting (for better or worse) that their Academy wasn't working, they instead switched focus to their B team and developing players that way and it has worked ( Dasilva, Forss and Roerslev probably the best examples)

They do still have an academy programme (my nephew is there on a sort of new style YTS scheme) but it was certainly a risk to break apart that part of the club and try something new.