The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Now the dust has settled and I've rewatched the game, let's talk about how good Brentford were last night (obviously they won't be playing relegation fodder every week)

They wanted it much, much more. They played as a team and hunted as a unit. Some of the pressing from the front players was absolutely rabid. Mori having a go at Leno after 7 minutes of the season? Wonderful stuff. 

Pinnock (who I once saw at Dulwich Hamlet and thought was dreadful) was out of this world. Apart from one aberration where he just blindly sliced it out, he was note perfect. 

Mbuemo...I take what I said about you last season at times back. Back to two seasons ago form, and with a tiny bit more thought and composure could've had two easily.

Canos at wingback? For those who don't know Canos that well, it would be like asking Son to play wingback (which is a bad example as that did happen and failed massively). But it worked and Frank might have stumbled on a new formation. Great goal as well.

The slightly bad, if I had to? Ajer had a bit of a wild debut and had to fly in a few times after a bad first touch. Sure it's nothing to worry about and he comes highly rated. 

Onyeka, IMO, faded badly and the game did seem to pass him by, but he showed enough that again, nothing to worry about. 

Jansson, whilst not doing anything wrong, I don't think is top level material. I would love to be proved wrong but I can see him being culpable plenty of times this season.

I can't really talk about Arsenal as they were dreadful, missing loads of players and I don't care. Smith-Rowe was excellent in patches. Get out whilst you still can son.

Other lovely things? My nephew being there, invited for free along with the rest of the lads on his scheme.

People I know attending with their Dads who just missed out on seeing Brentford in the top flight the last time, and have had the ups and downs (and literally saved the club at times) and now get to see that. The fans applauding the knee, a 28th minute round of applause for Robert Rowan, former Technical Director who passed away in 2018 and played a massive part in where the club is today and giving Saka a fantastic reception. 

Another small thing: one of the Dads that I play football with, his best friend has a rare form of cancer. The club were fantastic in helping raise money for him last year (he had to go to the States and it wasn't cheap) and last week, every first team squad member sent him a video message, Ivan Toney speaking to him on the phone for an hour. What a club.

I can see Brentford getting a few tonkings this season as they will 100% not abandon their style (formation wise they'll adapt, but not their philosophy, which will cause issues) but they will stay up and have a good time doing so, and last night was fantastic. 

@Keith Houchen Is the Irish lad I know that flies over every week to see Spurs a 'plastic' then? He's a bigger fan than half the 'N17 dyed in the wool' brigade.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

If you’re not from the place and they aren’t the nearest team to you when you were young, you’re a plastic. That’s the rule. The rule for more than one club wankers is blindfolded with a half and half scarf when facing the firing squad. 

By your definition I’m a plastic, but personally I’d say being a season ticket holder for a crap team 225 miles away would put me in the ‘sadist’ category.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
Just now, Frankie Crisp said:

By your definition I’m a plastic, but personally I’d say being a season ticket holder for a crap team 225 miles away would put me in the ‘sadist’ category.

Masochist, no?

Plastic isn’t a derogatory term. Plastics can be and often are more passionate about their club than lifers. The plastic refers to the location and not the team. They aren’t a plastic fan, they’re a plastic Manc/scouser/cockney etc. 

42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

All Irish fans are plastics. 

How dare you. My grandfather ferried across the Mersey to do a bit of joinery in the 1970s and brought the football home with him. 

Irish Premier League fetishism is indeed a strange beast. It's humongous here, probably bigger than a lot of people realise. We're completely culturally washed with English football. I follow League of Ireland but it's a tough cookie - especially now - as our national broadcaster puts absolutely fuck all into it and the FAI is run sort of like a bingo night for the boys. The "You should support your own league and it'll get more investment!" versus "There's shite all to support because it has no investment!" argument is the chicken and egg of Irish football that's been going on for years. 

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

What type of football fan are you?  Obviously I’m a “Lifer” aka a proper fan. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12378024/football-fandom-in-2021-lifer-statto-how-uk-football-fan-culture-is-changing

Lifer. I must be supporting Bristol City, here, there and everywhere. Not been to Ashton Gate for years though because of a number of things and much more of an away fan only these days. 

Used to be quite the following up here and huddled round shitty little TV s for updates whilst 'big games' were on the telly or away trips to Tramere, Blackpool and the like with a bunch of  other lower league fans (including a statto Mansfield fan) was always fun.

Still have fond memories of 9 of us brave Bristol City fans from all over Lancs watching a match in a pub in Preston with a free Guinness promotion on. 

Full Match is on YouTube oddly 

We beat Oldham with Jason Roberts scoring and were all very slightly worse for wear after. Didnt drink Guinness for a while after. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

All Irish fans are plastics. 

You're Irish!

Looking at this on the 'what type of fan are you' link, under Expressionist:

'They pick from their impeccably curated selection of vintage shirts from all around the globe'

Who could that possibly be on here?? 🤔

I'm definitely a Statto, always have been. My dad even called me that when I was a teenager. I'm shit at FPL though, probably because I give up after two weeks and then resent everyone that persists with it. 

Edited by PunkStep

Placcys getting super defensive. Just how I like it. Although it needs to be said there is a distinction between a placcy and a glory supporter. It is of course possible to be both, like the majority of Man Utd and Liverpool fans on here. 

I'm a Social fan which makes sense. I follow Norwich but I'm not a devout fan who goes to games regularly or am part of the fan community in any way. I followed Newcastle as a kid too (glory hunter) so I don't feel that devotion to clubs that most do. I'm interested in the game in general, trivia, and the business side of it. I'd like to learn more about the tactics but sometimes I'm put off. I loved Michael Cox's book on tactics in the Premier League but  Inverting The Pyramid was a slog. Having said that, I gave up some point in the 50s when I imagine I'd enjoy the latter half of the 20th Century more as it's more relatable. 

I was thinking recently how I've watched football since the age of 4 (I wonder how many months those 90 minutes would be accumulatively) and am still shit at knowing an offside in real time. I'm massively impressed by the work of referees and officials. 

I find I can still struggle to notice one player's contribution in a game too though usually in a team I'm less familiar with. Like a Man of the Match may pop up and I've not been that aware of their contribution. It was easier with England as I felt I knew the formation and line up and what they were going for as a system.