The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Chelsea are a decent bet to win the league next season I'd say given how they ended last season with Tuchel, and if they can get another striker over the line.

Now that fans are back this season is a completely different beast mind, there's no way Liverpool would have lost all them home games last season if Anfield was full, not a chance. I dont think West Ham would've finished as high either, it'll change the dynamics a hell of a lot. 

The whole style of how teams play will be different with different pressures from having full crowds again, I imagine it'll revert to the usual suspects being towards the top of course, but certain managers aren't going to be able to shithouse their way through the season now there's a crowd present.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

That sort of number would make them one of the best run clubs in the Championship!

You're not wrong. I think there are only 3 or 4 clubs under 100%, never mind 80%...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, patiirc said:

arent going to miss him that much

Why do you think this? They were dreadful while he was injured last season. He was massive for them. 

Tuchel not yet coming into his own at Chelsea

I think it's fair to say he definitely did. 

• Paid Members

Tuchel not yet coming into his own at Chelsea

I was going to ask you how you came to this conclusion but let me book the week off work first.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why do you think this? They were dreadful while he was injured last season. He was massive for them. 

I think it's fair to say he definitely did. 

I thought they suffered through misfires at the back and injuries elsewhere, as opposed to Grealish. Matty Cash, Luiz, McGinn, Traore, bad form, injuries or mistakes hurt them more. Watkins should have gone Euros.

Not sure if they're better without Mings regarding Villa, became a running joke as to how many times he was dragged out of position for goals conceded last season. 

Re Tuchel. Fair enough. I see it differently, especially as it's not his team and especially with Chelsea being a pain for managers because of fractures previously. 

He's done well with another person's team, but he's not yet completely moulded it his way. 

Tuchel and Tammy is intetesting and also how does he solve a problem like Timo Werner? who is so tantalisingly close to being brilliant but isnt there yet (the missus's gaydar pings for Werner as an aside) 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was going to ask you how you came to this conclusion but let me book the week off work first.

Only week, I'd love the free time. See above. 

• Paid Members

Isn't it the point that Barca can't register any of their recent free signings for La Liga until their wage bill gets slashed even after Messi, who technically wasn't on the wage bill when last season came to a close.

Aguero, Depay and a few others will need to look to move if they want to actually play.

The Vultures must surely be circling that club for cut price deals and steals. 

• Paid Members

Barca are one of those clubs with zero excuse for being in a financial mess. Legitimately one of 3 or 4 biggest, well supported clubs on the planet, a merchandising machine with a worldwide fanbase to lap it up, and play in a league where the vast majority of the TV money goes to them and Real Madrid. They should be able to operate on a break even basis(at worse) and still be up there in the league every year, and into the latter stages of the Champion's League. 

I know I say it everytime a club goes into financial meltdown, but it's going to take one of the huge names of European football to go under to sort the game's finances out. Can't see it being Barca, but we're getting closer that scenario every year...

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

And therein lies the problem - it’s neither Messi or the club’s problem they’re in the shit

It absolutely is. They've both played a game of brinkmanship for years and should never ever allowed his contract to run out, or get to this stage. Absolute lunacy.

Also, if he loved Barcelona that much, he would surely have deferred even more wages to help them out.

Fuck Barcelona. They've paraded as this paragon of virtue for years, whilst only looking out for themselves (see them opposing the 10% sale of La Liga this week as it messes with their TV rights and therefore profits). They also badly spent their Neymar money, so they really only have themselves to blame.

Pinning it on 'La Liga rules' is just a smokescreen. They've fucked it.

I hate Barce but why should they agree to a deal that strengthens their competitors whilst taking money from them? Also why should Messi defer even more of his wages, he can love the club and still know his worth. Barce are in the shit not just because of Messi’s ridiculous wages, it’s the entire squad. If figures are to be believed they pay Trincao £140k p/W. They signed him from Braga!

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I hate Barce but why should they agree to a deal that strengthens their competitors whilst taking money from them? Also why should Messi defer even more of his wages, he can love the club and still know his worth. Barce are in the shit not just because of Messi’s ridiculous wages, it’s the entire squad. If figures are to be believed they pay Trincao £140k p/W. They signed him from Braga!

Oh, its completely up to them (and him) what they do with their lives.

It's more to do with the "Mes Que Un Club" hypocrisy to be honest. I just think they're a rank club (but then pretty much all modern day football is so I don't know why I have such a bee in my bonnet about them!)

You're right, Messi shouldn't have to defer any of his wages whatsoever. I fucking wouldn't! I was just saying that in the deepest parts of his heart, if he truly wanted to be there for life, I'm sure there was something he (both of them?) could've maybe done. 

• Paid Members

Laporta went on a right old rant at La Liga yesterday didn't he? Blame nobody but your poxy club mate. You (well, the previous presidents) knew what the rules were, and you still kept spending and handing out ridiculous contracts beyond your means. They're really trying to pressure La Liga into changing their rules just to suit them. Fuck Barca, you reap what you sow.

There is so much I have always liked about Barca, but at the same time so much I despise. They've spent the past 10 years shitting on the foundations laid by Cruyff. @Cod Eyesummed them up perfectly in his previous post- they should be dominating the game on and off the pitch and they've made a right old hash of it. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, if he loved Barcelona that much, he would surely have deferred even more wages to help them out.

I'm sure the bigger issue was that they let his contract expire, so he could have said he'd play for free next season. He wouldn't be allowed to as the dumb fuckers can't register new players till the wage bill is appropriate.

Messi's wages were also a weird point, as he generated more money than they were paying him, so he alone made financial sense. It is the case he as a player was worth more than the club.

Now the Messi revenues have gone, and the wage bill is still fucked, Barcelona are edging closer to shitdom, and when you assess how they've behaved for years now, I wholly agree, they fucking deserve it.

Griezmann may have been the deal to begin the tip over the edge.

I do expect a huge amount of players to move for cut down prices before this window, but they'll be the players on not so good money. Your Umtiti's of the world, who are on staggering wages will remain to bleed them dry and get that money they were promised, which is fair in my opinion.