The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

What a crazy few days. Jack Grealish joining Man City for £100m. Villa signing Bailey and Ings. Messi leaving Barcelona. Lukaku wants to return to Chelsea. United about to finalise Varane.

Really feels like a chasm opening up between City, United and Chelsea and the rest. Only Villa outside those three have done anything like the business you'd expect and that's for obvious reasons. We're clearly not done, there's still the Kane saga to unfold, Liverpool will probably replace Wijnaldum and Arsenal are interested in James Maddison but I don't think that will be significant enough to affect the top 3 in any shape or form. Seems crazy to say that considering we're only a year on from Liverpool being by far the best team in the country but that's how it looks at the moment.

The Messi stuff has been boring for a year so this latest twist isn't that interesting. I think it's the destination I find boring. It's seems about 90% likely it'll be PSG with a small chance of Man City. Neither of those things are interesting. I'd like to see him go revitalise a club. Imagine him at Roma with Jose? Something like that would be great fun for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Can't remember who the Sunderland fans are on here ( @METAL ON METAL?) but wanted to say you're getting a superb talent in Dennis Cirkin.

Given that Spurs have had issues at full back (but certainly have the talent) it's baffling that he's been allowed to leave. Assume there is a buy back clause.

Is that going through then? saw a couple of bits on Twitter but you know what that place is like for transfer rumours. I'll be honest I'd never heard of him but he seems to be highly rated so was assuming it would be a loan if true not a full transfer. We dont have a single full back on the books so he'll be slotting right into the first team, we have another young defender in on loan from Man City ( Callum Doyle ) and he looks like the real deal from the bits I've seen in pre season.

Exciting signing promising youngsters for a change compared to out usual shite like Danny Graham for the 2nd time

• Paid Members

I don't see City going in for Messi at all, they've moved on since considering him. I don't think he's going to play in a false 9 role these days, if anything he's going to play a more withdrawn role over time. We've seen him play more and more in midfield lately, I can see him ending his career there.

Villa fans are a bit weird aren't they? They seem to have this weird belief that they were on the cusp of breaking into the top 6 or even top 4. They look much better than they did the season before last, but let's not forget this is a team that finished 11th with Jack Grealish. Their new signings could push them higher, but I don't think they will end up that much higher. 

I don't see anyone breaking into that top 4 of Man City, Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea for a while now. Arsenal and Spurs being pushed by Leicester should round out the top 6.

Villa seem to trying to spend a bit of money to try and break in, but Everton did that last year - and going by who they've signed this time around they've realized how big the gap is and seem to have given up.

Without any Covid craziness I can't see anyone like West Ham taking advantage and sneaking in from now.

I think Everton are a bit fucked with money. Not that they don’t have any but to be compliant with FFP (don’t laugh) they have to make sales and manage their wage bill which is something ludicrous like 85% to turn over. They’re apparently self funding their big floaty stadium which could end up being a bit of an Albatross around their necks as last time I checked a single brick hadn’t been laid. They also had to humanely empty out the fish from the docks and on top of all that them planning to demolish a protected area of the city was the straw that broke the camels back in losing Liverpool it’s world heritage status. Quite funny really.

I'm loving the Villa stuff, they've recruited well and arent going to miss him that much. 

Certainly darkhorses for me especially given Arsenal falling apart, Tuchel not yet coming into his own at Chelsea and Klopp seeming to start to struggle at Liverpool a bit. 

Deffo an interesting Prem this year. 

Back in the Championship Nigel Pearson trying to Mourinho his way through press conferences with more shithousery is not winning him any favours, and if we play like his team towards the end of last season, we'll be very quickly in a relegation spot

25 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I'm loving the Villa stuff, they've recruited well and arent going to miss him that much. 

Certainly darkhorses for me especially given Arsenal falling apart, Tuchel not yet coming into his own at Chelsea and Klopp seeming to start to struggle at Liverpool a bit. 

Deffo an interesting Prem this year. 

Back in the Championship Nigel Pearson trying to Mourinho his way through press conferences with more shithousery is not winning him any favours, and if we play like his team towards the end of last season, we'll be very quickly in a relegation spot

Tuchel pushed Chelsea in to the top 4, got to an FA Cup final and won the Champions League, I think that’s a solid enough base to start a new season from!