The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

In the most important news of the day, this is the best theme of any football programme ever. 

Quite liked HTV Wales' European Soccer Special myself!

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

George Best and Rodney Marsh did a short-lived TV series back in the late 80s and Tony Wilson, who presented it, got New Order to do the theme tune for it and, inevitably, it bangs.

• Paid Members

Just to spam the forum with more mid 90's Welsh football, always had a lot of love for the FAW Invitation Cup (later Premier Cup) intro, where the Football League English wannabe clubs faced their moral superiors from the League of Wales.

Nice Guy Eddie by Sleeper, total Britpop.

Edited by garynysmon

16 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Just to spam the forum with more mid 90's Welsh football, always had a lot of love for the FAW Invitation Cup (later Premier Cup) intro, where the Football League English wannabe clubs faced their moral superiors from the League of Wales.

My abiding memory of the early days of that competition was watching sixth-tier Merthyr Tydfil win away at the then-runaway Welsh champions, Barry Town, live on BBC2 Wales, thus proving the much greater strength in depth of the English pyramid. Both clubs of course have slightly different names these days due to going bust and having to be refounded.  

The Merthyr fans that night had brought a banner with the name of their fanzine on it: "Dial M for Merthyr". 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

The Merthyr fans that night had brought a banner with the name of their fanzine on it: "Dial M for Merthyr". 

That's still going from what I understand, used to be run by Mark Evans (might still be involved) who moonlights as being in charge of day to day operations of the Welsh national team and also a recent Plaid Cymru Westminster candidate.

Not really sure why Merthyr are still arsing around in the lower ends of the English pyramid though.

Good to know the fanzine has survived into the Merthyr Town era when so many others with terrific names have gone by the wayside ever since the rapid decline of physical media. 

I suppose Merthyr hope they can one day rise up the divisions like the reformed Newport (County) AFC did, but they don't have the legacy of being a former professional side, and after they were 'mothballed' by the Southern League last season due to differing Covid regulations on their side of the border, you'd think they'd have got the message.

Colwyn Bay already gave up the ghost a few years ago and are now in the new Cymru North division. I'm glad I got to see the novelty of a match at their ground officiated by a referee with the Three Lions logo on his shirt while I still had the chance, mind. 

2 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

Good to know the fanzine has survived into the Merthyr Town era when so many others with terrific names have gone by the wayside ever since the rapid decline of physical media. 

Absolutely. Having written for both these and official team programmes, I know which are more fun!! Cov’s best fanzine was Gary Mabbuts Knee, which is a fine name. As is Grimsby’s Cod Almighty. 

• Paid Members

We had a bit of a resurgence in Fanzines in recent years. We had 2 or 3 back in their hayday, South Ridings Fanzine was always the best/funniest, but in recent years we had the brilliant West Stand Bogs, which also made the amazingly emotional documentary "Daydream Believers" about the promotion to the Premier League(and raised thousands upon thousands for charities in the process), but it stopped when certain players and officials from the club complained about how it was "bullying" them. From the ashes of that, rose "Ey Up, and Down", which is a fine read too...