The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Was the only one not making a pun.

It's unsettling.

An opportunity not just to make a pun but a shit pun, literally and figuratively. It was like the stars aligned for you there. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Always has, which is why those players go off to success elsewhere.

Not when it comes to strikers, as you seldom have any good enough. 

11 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I don't think they've had strikers that were in high demand from other clubs, have they? Tevez obviously. Demba Ba, Bellamy. Mostly though, they've had a striker that'll get them about 10 in the league supplemented by some back ups that are dross, injured, or haven't clicked. They've not had ones approaching 20 goals a season for a long time anyway.

Absolutely, which is what I was saying to my friend. Other clubs have had much better strikers over a near-30 year period. Even Bellamy was on the wane when he was at West Ham.

Ian Wright, Davor Suker, Harewood, Carlton Cole, Sheringham (was good in Championship but not in PL), Zamora, Jelevic, Mido, Lucas Perez, Ashley 'the next Marcus Rashford' Fletcher, Chamakh, Robbie Keane, Carew, Mccarthy, Dean Ashton, Andy Carroll, Andre Ayew, Maiga, Zaza, Zarate, Chicharito, Frédéric Piquoinne, Diafra Sakho. That's some list. They've done much, much better with midfielders mind you. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

, Dean Ashton, 

Come on now. He score 6 goals in 16 games. Then got injured on England duty, was out for a year and retired the next year after trying to comeback a shadow of his former self. Retirement at 26. He I believe would have been that striker.  But since the days of Cottee and MacAvenie it’s the position we’ve struggled in the most. 

32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I have zero recollection of this, and refuse to believe it happened.

It happened. It’s was Roy Of The Rovers stuff as he joined his boyhood team on loan from his boyhood team  

• Moderators

Another Grade A signing today for Wrexham AFC, James Jones from Lincoln on a 3 year deal. Rumours are we're in for Cheltenham's captain Ben Tozer and Woodyard who's captain of Wimbledon. Can't wait to get back into the Racecourse on Monday night to play Notts County. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He I believe would have been that striker

But alas he wasn't, and inevitably became another doomed striker for West Ham. His career played out differently to some of the other failed strikers at West Ham as it was injury rather than just being shit (Andy Carroll was a similar-ish scenario), but a non-success nonetheless. 

• Paid Members

Even if Ashton had stayed fit and fulfilled the potential he clearly had, which I reckon he would have done, he'd have been at United, Chelsea or Arsenal after one more season like he had in 2007-8 anyway. 

• Moderators

Yeah, Ashton was fucking ace to be fair. Just damned unlucky. But a fit Ashton was never going to stay.

He was also solid as you like on CM 01/02. The greatest test. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

He had the lot - the pace, the strength, the workrate, great on the deck and in the air, a good target man too. He was doing huge numbers if he stayed fit and got a transfer.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Yeah, Ashton was fucking ace to be fair. Just damned unlucky. But a fit Ashton was never going to stay.

He was also solid as you like on CM 01/02. The greatest test. 

Coincidentally, around this time, after my Crewe mate spent a year telling me how awesome he was, I met Ashton in the bogs of the Cambrian in Aberystwyth. He randomly started asking me if he’d get into Pier Pressure “dressed like this” and I reassured him that if he paid on the door they’d let him in wearing a bin bag.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It happened. It’s was Roy Of The Rovers stuff as he joined his boyhood team on loan from his boyhood team  

I used to sit/stand behind a bloke who for years used to shout at Keane "Facking come on PSB! You're useless PSB!" etc until one day I couldn't stand it anymore and asked him what PSB stood for as it was driving me mad.

"Pointy Shouty Bloke" Amazing.