The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

Where should West Ham be? They’ve got the 10th highest wage bill in the league and 11th biggest net spend over the past 5 season. Id hazard a guess that if you look at teams that earn the most money they’d be around 8th-12th. That seems about right for a mid table team with aspirations. They don’t have mega rich owners willing to sink their own money in like Everton, Villa or Leicester so to be able to compete with them for places is pretty good going but par for a team like them. 

• Paid Members

To be fair, I've just had a look through their final positions and barring a few outliers(mainly where they have gone down), they have been fairly solid. I don't know why, but before Moyes got them firing again, I'd got it in my head they were in relegation scraps most years. Fair do's...

12 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Can't count Kanoute, as they sold him to Spurs and he was shit there

That Sucks The Office GIF

I saw Kanoute score the worst goal in the worst game I've ever been to.

Spurs Boro. The train kicked me off at Finsbury Park, I had to walk (blindly) towards Hackney, got a cab with some random bloke who kept offering me coke in the back, dumped out at Seven Sisters with the game already 10 minutes in. Finally got in with half an hour gone, and then saw Kanoute charge down the goalie and score off his back.

A terrible day (they all are to be honest)

But I liked Freddie. I have fond memories of that team/era.

• Paid Members

I think over a year of closed doors matches helped West Ham enormously. Hardly any West Ham fans wanted Moyes back and that negativity would probably have affected their performances. But without crowds, Moyes had freer reign to do things his way and has built up loads of good faith, carrying it into a great start to the season.

They're loads of fun to watch. And who would EVER have expected to say that about a David Moyes team. I really hope they do get Lingard back too, he clearly loved it there and they're stronger for him.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think over a year of closed doors matches helped West Ham enormously. Hardly any West Ham fans wanted Moyes back and that negativity would probably have affected their performances. But without crowds, Moyes had freer reign to do things his way and has built up loads of good faith, carrying it into a great start to the season.

They're loads of fun to watch. And who would EVER have expected to say that about a David Moyes team. I really hope they do get Lingard back too, he clearly loved it there and they're stronger for him.

I’d say there was a 50/50 on Moyes. He had half a season to keep the team up, he got turfed out at the first opportunity at an over the hill manager on a busman holiday who made some shocking, over paid signings that did naff all. But Moyes had been looking for a comeback after the Man Utd fiasco. But I can’t ignore there we’re fans who hated the idea of him coming back. But I don’t know why. We’re never going to attract those bog name managers. To me he’s as perfect a fit as any. I’m hopeful for another top 10 finish. Anything over 7th in a season is over achieving. 

And I agree. Why Lingard thinks he’s going to be a regular starter in that Man Utd team I have no idea. Better for him being a big fish in a small pond I think, and like you say, he had a great time, even his family did. Put your hands in your pockets Gold and Sullivan you tight bastards. Heard they will accept £20m for him as well. No excuse at that price.